Show us your sedums!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

In the garden design forum, while suggesting plants for a beautiful (already!) Texas garden that's in the works, we got into discussing the wonderful world of sedums.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/614202/#new

Every time I'm at a garden center I see new ones to me, and I'd love to see the sedums you're all growing.

Here's my lastest aquisition: S. 'Frosty Morn'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the creeping varieties too!

Sedum spurium 'Tricolor':

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is a blurry pic of Sedum repestre 'Angelina'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

yes pls show us your sedums.
I like creeping varieties. have sedum spurium tricolor and mexican sedum. used to have sedum angelina but I lost it after dividing it too much, now I have none.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Another new one to me I picked up the other day, Sedum hispanicum minus-purple form:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

OMG, I was just talking about Angelina. But you know, I always had the hardest time seeing a distinction between angelina and the more common mexican sedum

Neal! I have that too. we must have the same taste in sedums.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Great minds think alike! Is'nt that a cute one!

I love how easy they are to propagate. I just take little pieces and stick them in the ground where I want more. I'm feeling another collection coming on, lol. I'll get pics of some of my others tommorrow.

Thornton, IL

Thanks for pointing me here Neal! You know I have a thang for them too, LOL. When I put my sedum spurium Tricolor in the ground today, I made sure I stuck the broken pieces (I'm such a brute, LOL) in the ground.

vossner - I killed Angelina with kindness (over-watered). That one doesn't seem to be as sturdy as some of the others. I lost my Strawberries and Cream by dividing too soon too. I'm not sorry, but Neal, could you spot me some when it gets established? ROFLOL What is mexican sedum? Is it the sedum hispanicum minus-purple form? That one looks a little like a sea creature, very cool.

I have lots of Autumn Joy (old faithful), some Purple Emperor, Vera Jameson, and Dragon's Blood. Here's a pic of Vera.

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Hey there, PG, you sure are up late.

Sure, I'll get some Strawberries and Cream going for you. In my overzealous planting last year I've lost track of which one is which, so I'll post pics so you can point out which one it is. I'm not completely unorganized (but close,lol); I do have in my data base which varieties are in which bed, but I have several sedums there. I've done the same thing with my hosta path, have all the names, but am having trouble matching them up. I have this thing about being able to see plant tags-it really bothers me. And I love that Vera Jameson! What a beauty!

A friend pointed out that S.hispanicum looks like broccoli florettes.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Never heard of the sedum hispanica...Love it! I wouldn't mind indulging in a few rare sedums if I could find some. They are so easy to grow. One of my favorites is sedum mediovariegatum, which is a yellow and green varigated, similar to frosty morn, but not quite as tall. Anyone know an online source for some uncommon ones? They are so easy to trade in the mail too!
Sharon

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Sharon, S. mediovariegatum sounds gorgeous! Do you have a pic? I'll be posting pics of more I have, so let me know if you see any you like and I'd love to trade cuttings.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Just found it in plantfiles, it is gorgeous!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23766/

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Oh dear do I post ones that I posted in the thread that gemini_sage mentioned in her first post? Probably not. I will confess right away that I am very bad at remembering names and very few of the labels for my sedum remain. Most are on a hill and for some reason they labels keep disappearing. I am trying out longer ones that I push into the ground more.

A mixture in a planter I made for them.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I found one of it in the garden.

Thumbnail by zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Sedum "Dragon's Blood" from last year, it isn't blooming yet this year.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 7:33 AM

Thumbnail by zenpotter

here is sedum angelina. PrairieGirl, I think sedum angelina should get NO water. I also lost a chunk to overwatering.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Zen--cool sedum.
Debbie

oops I forgot the pic of sedum angelina. I didn't have it long enough to know what color blooms it produces

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/72822/index.html

here is mexican sedum. perhaps you will agree it is pretty similar to Angelina. It produces bright yellow flowers. I've had it for a long time. I don't water it much, but it definitely starts yellowing when it needs water. Based on my experience with this one, I was watering the Angelina in the same manner but it appears that was too much, as a chunk of it rotted.
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/00519.html

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

They are similar, although the angelina seems to be more yellow. I will have to keep an eye out for that one I need some more shades of green.

I went out to treat myself to some new sedum today and the nursery I went to didn't have any I didn't already have and I didn't have the time to go to another one. I need to eat and go meet a airplane.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Zen, that is sooo cute. I love 'em combined like that.

Nery, that Mexican sedum is very nice, need to keep my eye out for one of those.

Got a better pic of Angelina today:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is a very tiny one that looks like moss. I have no idea what it is, suggestions welcomed :)

you can see the moss on the rock next to it to give a bit of size comparison:

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 1:22 PM

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Thornton, IL

Oooh, that's cute Neal! I had something similar that just disappeared, strangest thing but I think I shaded it, as I underplanted something with it, not too smart. LOL I don't remember the name, is it Sedum acre? I'm thinking I do better with the sturdier, more upright ones. Except Dragon's Blood has also proven indestructible. I have been looking for more Purple Emperor for a month, I'll post a pic tomorrow (DD borrowed camera). Yes, I'm a nite owl, one of many vices LOL.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

How I've managed to keep some of that tiny one going is beyond me. I'm terrible for overcrowding and every spring I find a tiny bit of that one surviving under everything else. Once I uncover it, it takes off and is fine. It must be quite tolerant of shade and moisture; look how it's surrounded by moss.

Thornton, IL

then mine got eaten, tee hee.

I love this thread! Sedums are my favorite because there are so many of them and they are so easy! It's nice when plant is this rewarding. So I just took photos of my 'sedum wall' yesterday. This looks like the place to share them.
I don't know all the names of them since the tags always seem to get separated from the actual plants.

Thumbnail by

Here's another part of the wall. It's a long and wavy wall so i can't seem to get a good photo of the entire thing.

Thumbnail by

Here's one more part. I'm doing two other walls this summer that will be a bit lower than this one, and maybe a couple of inches wider. I plan to do sedums on top of them, too.

Thumbnail by

Last one. This is my big project for right now. I'm landscaping the front area and this is the cacti and succulent garden, which will include lots of sedums! My new one that I like is Mertensia maritma, which i got at heronswood recently,, before it closed. I don't think it is technically a sedum, but it has those fleshy leaves and stems that set sedums apart.
http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/boraginaceae/mertensia-maritima.htm

Thumbnail by
Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I love your wall idea Pixy. Very pretty!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Love the pix of all the different sedums! :) So, they can be propagated by breaking off a bit and sticking it in the dirt? How big a piece? Does the root need to be included? (I just bought two "Voodoo" and would like more, but because I'm cheap will happily try to propagate my own for free instead of buying more plants. :) )

pam

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure about the roots - some tall sedums like matrona and frosty morn can be easily propagated by by just sticking a cutting into the ground. I would imagine the low growers would propagate faster as little clumps with roots.

Pixydish - I love your wall idea! Do you have any more pics that show the mosaic part? I am tthinking of doing something kind of similar to make a walled area for the less hardy plants I would like to grow - xeric - succulents, etc.Are you familiar with the mosaic garden of Margot Knox - in Australia? This is the inspiration for my dream garden.
Sharon

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

pixydish, The walls are really nice. How are you making them?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Pixy, I love your walls! That's such a perfect way to show off your sedums.

Pam, I never worry about having any roots when I break a piece off, but the creepers usually have little roots starting wherever they have contact with the ground. Unless it's a special variety, I often don't even worry with rooting powder, just break and stick.

I have a shallow planter that I've had for years, and it's so shallow that it stays too dry for most plants. So I decided to pot it up in some Sempervirens and sedums. I just walked around the yard pinching pieces off the ones I wanted and stuck them in a couple of weeks ago, now they're all already growing happily. I wish I could propagate everything so easily.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great walls Pixy--share in how you build them.
Debbie

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Pam, I do the same I just pinch the sedum off and stick it in the ground. Occassionally one doesn't take so make sure to put in more than one of a kind.

Pauline

pixy, wonderful collection. the one shown in pic posted at 2:14 is called "ghost". I love it, looks like somebody whitewashed the plant. retains the look in full sun.

here's one of the mosaics. This wall is just the right height for sitting, so I put two on it. But since I never actually Sit in my garden (LOL!) I ended up putting cactus gardens on them.
the walls are easy, but labor intensive. I'll put together a thread on the cement forum and link it here. Otherwise, it will take over this thread since it's not really about sedums. I'll post photos of the other mosaic over there.

Thumbnail by
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Pixydish,
That would be great if you put that link in. I am really interested in doing some mosaic benches. I like the one your did above. It is strange, I was at the library looking for info on doing a bench and didn't find what I wanted.
Perfect timing.

Pauline

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.