Dinner tonight...

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Now I don't want to hear any laughing from you southerners - this is a big deal up here!!! While the greens, radishes, and peas are on their way out, my Supersweet 100's are noteworthy!!!

Picture from today's plucking: Radishes (Lady Slippers, Cabernet, Cherry Belle), Cut'n'Come Again Lettuce, 3 Cherry Tomatoes, Asian Tatsoi, Tom Thumb Sugar Snaps, Vitamin Greens.

And so it begins...

(Sorry for the poor photo. It's storming outside and I just can't get enough light for a good shot - and I can assure you the plate will be licked clean before the next sign of sunshine!)

Thumbnail by Sequee
Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Made me smile!!!

Judy

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Man those peas were good.

How've you been my friend> I've missed you! Hope the world is treating you and the big guy well!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks good to me!

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Sequee - my English Peas were the type you can eat pod and all. They never got the opportunity to mature, we snacked on them as we passed by the vines. lol lol

We're OK!!! Never worked harder in my life as we have since the middle of April plus we had a heavy load of stressful situations to handle along the way, but things are slowly winding down now.

Judy

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

Sequee,

It looks like a very very healthy dinner to me!

I can't wait for my tomatoes to ripen!

tmm

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

They were so doggone good. I'd forgotten how much I liked shucking them and gobbling them up. Last year I ate them pod and all, but when I was carrying these in one snapped...and the rest is history! I can hardly wait for the rest of them to fruit. Oh, yum!

I'm hoping there will be alot of these little cherries to tide me over until the big guns set in! I've gotten about a dozen so far, with more turning each day. It will be interesting to see how this plant does. I started it too late last season. It was in the last batch of seeds I started and was very slow to germinate. I finally got it potted up in September, but there wasn't enough time for it to produce, so I took it to my office and left it in "the window". It didn't do much of anything, but it did stay healthy, so in April when I got the GH put up, I brought it home and set it in there. It grew another 6-8 inches and as soon as I put it out in May, it went to full bloom. Quite an interesting little fella, no? I don't know what they are supposed to be like, but this ones only about 18" tall and is really going to town.

Judy - we need to catch up. It's been way too long!

Missouri City, TX

Great looking produce. I hope you used the radish tops, too.

I had always tossed them in the compost, but my DW told me to cook them with the other greens - been doing that since.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Since I justmade a salad, I tossed them. I did include some tender young leaves from the Tom Thumb Plant, though. They taste just like the peas!

Graon - now I want mo' mo' mo'!!!

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Your plate of goodies looks so pretty too. Tastefully done. Nice touch with the glass of wine. Ahhhhh, now for the satisfaction of your labors,
nothing better.

Don't you just love the Lady Slipper radishes ? I grew them in a raised bed and some got as big as golf balls and were still tender and mild.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I agree on the Lady Slippers! They are now my favorites! I've been growing radishes in my EarthBoxes for the past couple of years, but this year I have a raised bed, so I planted some in there, too. What a difference. These were so much bigger and better shaped. YUM!

Missouri City, TX

Sequee,
What soil did you use in the raised bed?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Miracle Grow!

You know--I always seem to drool over our cool season stuff in the summer seeing what you guys are doing up North. I'm almost scared top say this (please don't throw any zuchinni at me) but I like cool season stuff better than warm season stuff. In late fall and over the winter I can grow a lot more variety, maybe because hardly anything else is growing good...

We can grow onions, garlic, chives, kohlrabi, turnips, radishes, lettuce, cabbage, brussel sprouts (a personal favorite), spinich, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, english peas, kale, swiss chard....

Now that beats tearing out end of season green bean vines and huge tomato plants anyday in my book. And then waiting ...
Debbie

Missouri City, TX

Deb, you are right on!
Last year was my first "winter garden" - fabulous. Now half the garden is plowed waiting for ???.

DW doesn't want any more eggplant after last year's 100+ pounds. Loves anything green. Have you ever tried pole beans in the fall?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

GRRRR! That's not fair. The buggies have eaten up most of my eggplants. I am sooooo disappointed!

Missouri City, TX

The love the heat, so replant now. I only had 5 of the oriental variety, and they really produced.

I can kinda understand how eggplant lost its 'allure' to her Bubba--geez, 100 lbs of eggplant to deal with! And the tomatoes were driving me crazy...I can only imagine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.