help with echinacea

Lilburn, GA

Hi!

I planted some echinacea seeds in February and they are growing well, but are still small. I have just read in the packet that they should be flowering in 3 months time. There is no way that my plants will flower this year. What did I do wrong?

I would like to grow more for next spring. When should i plant the seeds?

thank you
Anna

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hi Anna,

I started echinacea from seed this year also, and I also started in February. For what it's worth, there is no way mine would be flowering this year either, unless they put on some massive growth spurt, which I suppose they might do. My neighbor has flowering echnicacea that he has had for years and they are not flowering yet either, but I am in zone 5a, much cooler than yours. In any case, did you stratify the seed (cool period in the fridge) after sowing it? All my tubs were in the fridge for about a month. I think that helps germination. Mine germinated quite well, but again, they are unlikely to flower this year. I think growing them from seed requires patience and I think not having them flower until the 2nd year would not be unusual.
CMox

Edited to say that the neighbor does get flowers, just not yet in terms of June being too early. They come on more end of June and into July August flowering. They are gorgeous in flower, but it's too early for them yet.

This message was edited Jun 19, 2006 9:04 PM

Lilburn, GA

Hi CMox,

I did not do anything special with them as I did not know they need a cold period to germinate. I just put them in a tray with potting mix and they germinated in abou t1 week.

I have heard that perennials do not flower in the first year so i was confused by what the seed pack said. It is good to know that I am not the only one to have non flowering Echinaceas. I felt like a failure.

thank you
Anna

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hi again Anna,

I found this info - my seed came from Johnny's Selected Seeds, and this is what they say about growing it from seed, especially regarding the cold period. I also noticed another article for people who want to grow it commercially (like farming it) said that flowers happen in the 2nd year if you start from seed. So, you are definitely not a failure!!!

Johnny’s Selected Seed Co., Winslow, Maine, recommends the following guidelines for starting seeds indoors. Echinacea species require light and stratification (pre-chilling) for seed germination. Using deep containers to allow for good root development, fill with a prepared soil mix, and plant seeds in flats or pots, barely covering the seed with soil. Moisten, cover, and refrigerate at 40-50F. Johnny’s has found that E. purpurea does not need the pre-chilling process, but germination can be enhanced if exposed to the cold temperatures for seven days. After stratification, move flats or pots to warmer temperatures to allow for emergence of the seedlings. Germination generally occurs ten to twenty days after the stratification process. When plants are several inches tall (usually eight to twelve weeks after germination), transplant seedlings outdoors in late spring or early summer. Apply mulch to control weeds.

Seeds can be sown directly in the ground in fall or early spring, but a fine seedbed needs to be prepared. Plant seeds just under the soil surface spacing them two inches apart. Keep the bed moist and weed-free. When seedlings emerge, thin plants to the recommended spacing mentioned above. Studies, from North Carolina State University, showed that E. purpurea plants that were direct seeded into black plastic mulch produced larger plants than E. purpurea plants that were transplanted into plastic mulch.

Lilburn, GA

thank you very much for that, Cmox. Great help!!!

best wishes
anna

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They will bloom next year--I grow a lot of echinaceas from seed. I'm sure Al will jump in here with his experiences. A lot of times transplants in 4 x 4's only bloom a little bit (maybe one or two bedraggled looking blooms) their first year for me--then bloom real good the following year.
Debbie

Lilburn, GA

Debbie, when do you start your seeds? If I start them in the autumn, will they flower in Spring?

Thank you

No--I start them in either autumn (some varieties need the cold to germinate) late--like winter sow--some I will start now, some under lights this winter. The ones I start now might bloom just a couple blooms next year--but doubtful. They just seem to take 2 years here--but thats to a real full bloom.

Wait for Al to chip in tonight--he may have some other methods--and he's very successful with them.
Debbie

Lilburn, GA

Debbie, do you know when to sow E. tennessensis?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Spider - your ones started this year will not flower this year, I think early fall is a decent time to start them also - it will give them some time to develop before winter - those started in the fall should have a few flowers later the next year. I have not done any wintersowing, but it sounds like it works well - those not flowering that year either. I would assume any packaged seeds would be stratified already.
I am not sure why the neighbor who has grown them for years wouldn't have flowers - maybe shade?
They really take off after a few years and you will get all the volunteers you need and could divide them after 3 years or so for more plants.

Debbie - I'll have Sundown pics this week.

Lilburn, GA

thank you for your help, Al.

Lilburn, GA

Another question:

these plants that you see in 4" pots in nurseries and pay $$ for them. Are they suppose to flower the year they are sold? How old are these plants supposed to be?

thank you

tennesseenisis requires winter stratification for me (cold).

The ones bought in the store (I don't pay a lot of $$ for them) have opne or two blooms the first year.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I would say they are 9 months to a year old and will have a few blooms like Debbie said. The only ones that will flower much the first year would be 2 year old plants in gallon pots. They really grow fast though and I only buy gallons if that's the only option - for new varieties.
Al

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

The neighbor who has grown them for years doesn't have flowers cuz it's too early. Seems like they come on in July/August more than June. At least around here!

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I planted E. purpurea seeds directly in my garden soil in April 3 years ago. That first summer they were very pitiful indeed! :) I did, however, finally get a bloom on one of the plants in OCTOBER! 3 years later, they are absolutely massive. I cannot believe how big they are this year. All for a few pennies and very little trouble :)

Hang in there! I'll bet you get a fall bloom :)

Jacci :)

Here is a 4 x 4 of the variety 'Primadonna Rose' I bought in May--this is all I expect from it this year--basically a tease. But next year, if it survives, it should bloom very well.
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Lilburn, GA

Wow, that is so beautiful! Is is a tennessensis hybrid? I am asking because the petals hodl flat instead of going down.

No, its 'Primadonna Rose'. tennessensis has upturned petals:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/193/index.html
Its a really nice variety too, I think.

Franklin, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm having a problem with my coneflowers. I planted several varities this spring and it looks like something is eating them. Whatever it is pulls the stem down and munches on the petals and leaves.Any thoughts on what the pest is, and how can I stop it ? It's not bothering any of my other perennials.

Lilburn, GA

Could it be a bunny? Mine has been eating by one, so, I moved it to the porch ( it is plante in a big pot).

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Look for rabbit droppings! That would be a good clue!

Franklin, TN(Zone 7a)

thanx- I think you nailed it. I immediatly went out and circled all coneflowers with chicken fencing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.