Daytime Fragrance

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

This may be a stupid question but I've just got to ask. What flowers are there for in my zone that I can use for daytime fragrance? Or at least overwinter easily?

I purchased a few annuals this year that surprised me with their fragrance. Mostly Petunias, but their scent is only noticeable in the evening. I've planted them along w/ some Verbena in hanging baskets on my front porch to enjoy their fragrance...and the hummies and butterflies they'll bring. However, it leaves so much lacking during the day.

Unbelievably, I got the Petunias at Wal-Mart and they weren't marked as fragrant, so keep on the lookout for what they have in stock. They mostly have generic tags there, but the fragrant ones I got are a light pink/bright pink veined. I also got a light lavender/dark purple veined that I'm waiting for the blooms to open to see if they are fragrant. Another dark purple, also not marked fragrant, w/ a wonderful cinnamon scent, I picked up at a local nursery.

I'm loving this, but want so badly for some great wafts of fragrance during the day. I also love old time-ish cottage garden type flowers if that helps any.

Thanks so much!! =^)
Heather

Tucson, AZ(Zone 10b)

How about

For carrying, fill the garden fragrance:
Nemesia caerula (not Nemesia strumosa which is not fragrant)--the white variety has the strongest fragrance
lobularia maritima (sweet alyssum). Again the white is the most fragrant.
I also get nice daytime fragrance from my miniature rose, Sweet Chariot, which grows just fine in its 10" hanging plastic basket. Attached photo is the rose.

For up close (needs to be on a walkway or in a hanging basket near a seating area):
mignonette (can start this from seed).
nasturtiums (tropaeolum majus) -- VERY easy to grow, lots of colors. I especially like the cherry rose variety but the Alaska, which has variegated foliage, has been nice too.

Thumbnail by heidi2005
Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks so much Heidi!! I've given myself a limited budget this year, but will be on the lookout for everything you mentioned. A lot of times things can be found as small starter plants or on clearance and just need a bit of extra TLC to bring them back...think Lowe's and Wal-Mart.

I love your Rose in a hanging basket. I've never seen that done before. I have a Rose that grows wild here that does have a fragrance and grows very easily. Today I'm giving one away and will also be putting one into a hanging basket like yours. Mine only seems to get about 3-4' high and then gets nice and bushy...would be perfect for a hanging basket! You're a genius!! Thanks so much for sharing the pic, I don't know if I could have pictured that, and it's so unique and stunning. Just the thingfor a fragrant cottage garden!!

You've made my day. =^) Now I'm going to have to look up all the other flowers you mentioned so I'm sure I know what they are and am not assuming I do.

My Rose...no idea of the name, so I need to name it myself.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy
Tucson, AZ(Zone 10b)

Dear Heathrjoy,

My pleasure :). I don't recognize your rose...maybe you could get an ID by posting your picture on the rose thread.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Great idea, never thought of that either. You really are a genius!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.