Aristolochia fimbriata

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello All.

I really like this little vine/scrambler. It blooms continuously for me and the flowers are the classic aristolochia unusual and cool.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

A shot of the flower from the side.

Thumbnail by ErickMN
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

And the attractive leaves (with a small flower bud).

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Too cool Erick. I like the flowers and the pretty leaves.

Jackie

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

That is one really neat looking flower. Beautiful pattern on the leaves.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Jackie and Shirley. It is a fun plant to grow.

Erick

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Erick,

That is indeed the most unusual vine I've ever seen. Fascinating! Do you have any photos of the whole plant? And how big does it get? From the top, that blossom looks like it could squiggle away on its own.

Laura

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Just looked it up on PlantFiles and found out it grows well in partial shade, so it's now on my list of must-haves for the backyard : )

Laura

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Here is a picture of the whole plant in evening light with a flash. They are ideally suited to basket culture, and would probably also do well in the garden (although I don't know if they could take full sun). While they are actively growing, I keep them quite moist, but freely draining.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

it's supposed to be a host plant for gulf fritts, but butterflies have never visited mine, obviously they haven't discoverd it yet. This particular aristolochia can be grown as a ground cover, which is the way I grow it. After 2-3 years it kinda wants to trail on anything nearby. OK by me.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Eric it is one of my favorites. Thanks for the replacement plant Kay and the idea of a hanging basket. It is doing wonderful.

Nery Aristolochias are the host plant for the Pipevine Butterflies. Gulf Frits go for the Passifloras

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I just went to PlantFiles too.It doesn't list any vendor who sells this plant.Where did you get it?

I love the aristolochias but I think this one is my favorite.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

The gulf frits? Yeah, way too many passies around to bother with my a. fimbriata LOL

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

just watch the seed swap forum. I have some seed almost ready. Probaly just another day or 2 and will offer them when I do. Or if you like you can go ahead and send me a SASBE with a note for what kind of seed. I am in the addy exchange

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Erick,

I love the striking pattern on the leaves, and it makes quite an effect with a mass of them cascading over the sides of the basket.

Laura

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you all for your kind comments, and the interesting side notes. I sure enjoy posting here!

Erick

Thanks Donna, I stand corrected. I knew it was a host for somebody, lol. Still, I am a little puzzled that mine has not been visited. But I guess I will enjoy while I can and before it is all eaten up.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I haven't had any pipevine butterflies either but all the wildlife is still messed up from hurricane Katrina. Not a whole lot of flowers blooming anywhere

I just noticed this in the seed forum. I have never seen seeds on mine. I highly recommend this beautiful plant.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/616749/

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

That is incredible looking. I've never had luck with aristolochia seeds in the past, but I'd sure be happy to give this one a shot - it's way too cool to pass it by!

Are you interested in doing a trade for some of your seeds? I am totally WOW'd!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 8b)

I have seeds available for trade or SASE. Packets of approx 50 seeds each.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2006 9:59 PM

Thumbnail by greenbud
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Greenbud, I would LOVE some of your seeds. That plant is so pretty. I'm in love. sigh

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Sequee surface sow them and lightly press them down on the soil and keep damp
edited for type o

This message was edited Jun 25, 2006 4:05 PM

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes, I was told to treat them just like brug seeds - got plenty of brugs from seed, but no Dutchman... I'm wondering if the seeds weren't fresh, or if they were somehow amaged in the mail (too hot? too cold? too???) I will get it right this time - for sure!

New Caney, TX

I have loads of babies. Do y'all trade here? I'm new to Daves.

TamiXWP

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

There are 2 forums you should check out: Plant Trading and Seed Trading - Boy do we trade there!

Or you can go to the appropriate Topic and start your own thread. (IE, Vines & Climbers, Brugmansias, Tomatoes, etc.)

Enjoy! And welcome to DG! It's wonderful here in the Garden. (And we're even allowed to eat the apples!)

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I love all the Dutchmans pipe and any of the Carniverous plants. I have the Calico Flower "Duchmans' Pipe Giantiaca" It is really showey and I have had lots of people comment on how pretty the bloom is.
I need to pollinate it more so I will have more seed. So far I only get about one pod a year. I think I will start to help it along.

Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Wow, Dee, that is a gorgeous picture! Thank you for sharing it.

Erick

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is more off the same plant. This plant was really in bad shape back in the spring. I am so glad it perked up.

Dee

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

beautiful Dee can't wait to see mine bloom although I may not get to since the Pipevine Swallowtail just laid eggs all over them. I have Trilobata that is blooming now. Thanks Susie

Thumbnail by DonnaB
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

All those flowers, wow. What a spectacular sight Dee!

Erick

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I found plants at Yuccado but they want $14 minimum shipping.

http://www.yuccado.com/displayengine//where%20ygroup=%27Vines%27//0//Vines

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

DonnaB those are just the prettiest things.........I just love them.
Do you happen to have any seed?? I can trade you some of my
Calico Flower seed for some if your intrested....
That is another beauty....

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Dee I just harvested some Fimbriata seeds and have more making. You are very welcome to some. Calico Flower is which one?? Hoping the Trilobata makes seed. Guess I'll find out in a few days and hope the cats don't much them off lol. I also have Gigantea and Elegans

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.