Inexpensive and Floriferous Daylilies Fix For Poor Addicts

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Hiyaa fellow gardeners. Until August of 2005, I thought that daylilies came in Stella D Oro yellow and orange. Sure, I'd seen packages at Walmart & the local hardware store, and had even bought a couple. These had wonderful pictures of beautiful flowers, but what actually grew & flowered looked fairly ordinary. So I went on to other flowering plants.

Well, last August, fellow DGer's introduced me to hybrid daylilies. Gorgeous flowers with exotic names, and even more exotic prices! $50 for a flower? $100 ? More ?! I'm hooked.....but broke. I have kids, pets, a mortgage, car payments - no way can I spend that kind of money. And there are around 60,000 named cultivars to choose from. I've also discovered that some daylilies just don't have much bloom power. You get a few awesome flowers, but then that's it for another year. I wan't something inexpensive, with a long lasting display. I asked here for recommendations on daylilies for poor gardeners & have noticed others asking, so I decided to research some & made us a list.

These are all daylily plants that I have found for sale online, from sellers with a positive Garden Watchdog rating, for $10 or less for a double fan. They are all noted for having a high bud count (a difficult thing to find out about a cultivar), or repeat bloom for lots of Flower Power!

I have not listed any that are registered as evergreen, and I only have a couple on this list, as yet, so can't give you a personal review, but have provided links to Daves Plant Files for each cultivar.
As you can see from the list, there are lots of lovely flowers available for a low cost. Enough that we can fill a bed with a beautiful display of daylilies right now, then maybe add a special, pricey plant as a focal point.

So browse this list, check out the photos & dream daylily dreams. There are many inexpensive varieties out there & this list only includes varieties I could find an uncopyrighted photo of. If ya'll like this thread, I'll try to keep adding to it as I learn more.

Take care & happy planting,
mich

Alpine Mist http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/7045/index.html
Atlanta Full House http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/6452/index.html
Bill Norris http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/13231/index.html
Barbara Mitchell http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/13721/index.html

Thumbnail by keyi
Arbuckle, CA(Zone 9a)

Wow that's some nice work you have done! Thank you for sharing all of this. I'll admire daylilies for $100, no way am I going to pay that much for one. What if a gopher ate it? :-)

Sandy

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

LOL, you missed one!
great job putting those together!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Thank you Sandy and Sue. Yes a group of C's and D's were tacked on to the end because somehow I missed fetching the Plant File links for that group, so had to go do it after I got all the others up and running. I sure do hope this is helpful to others out there. I'm going to work on getting as many of these as I can. I love daylilies! I love how they look when they open and how they change colors during the day. I am just crazy for them.

Bay Springs, MS(Zone 8a)

keyi, Thanks soooo much for this list! I've just started collecting
daylillies and I can't afford the pricy ones. These people here at
my house have this habit of wanting to eat Every day. Imagine
that!LOL
Thanks,
Debbie

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I know what you mean! I've been eyeballing the pets thinking that they could stand to lose a few pounds, and I could use the money they don't eat to buy another plant! You know, one less bag of dogfood a month would save $30

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

mich,, what a wonderful list (now just need more cow man.),,thanks, Elaine

(Zone 7b)

A labour of love, and much appreciated by us newbies!

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

What a great list...those arejust beautiful! AND affordable, what more could we want! Thanks so much for listing them for all of us.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing your lovely flowers.

Cindy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

One local daylily farm here has beautiful plants for about $3-$5 each... they are older cultivars but some have richer color than the new ones.

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much. This is really great and a very
big help. I've been making a "Wish List" and
when I added it up, it came to $1,389 - and that's
without the S/H. I just burned it. Well, actually --
I made a copy for when I win the Lotto.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

KEYI,
What I want to know is HOW do you get FOUR pics instead of just ONE for posting here??

Regards;
bluelytes

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

What you don't understand is-- this is just how it starts. :-)

You start out thinking "I will NEVER spend more than $10 on a daylily." Then you see one that you just HAVE TO HAVE that costs $12.00. And you buy it.

Then you think "I will NEVER go over $20 for a daylily". And suddenly, there's that ruffled, dark eyed beauty that costs $25.00 beckoning to you from the glossy catalog and you think "What the heck. I deserve it, and at least I have a hobby that keeps me in my backyard! How can hubby/wifey argue about that?"

And from there on, it's just a slippery slide down the slope to $100 daylilies! LOL! Been there, done that, got the teeshirt! Heehee!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2006 8:36 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yep, that's how it goes alright.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Not everyone recomments Gilbert Wild, I have noticed, but I have gotten a lot of nice, inexpensive daylilies from them over the years. Only once did I get one that wasn't what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be daring deception, and it is a bright red! (Do you think maybe it was a joke?) They have their sale fliers, and you can get lots for $3 or less.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.