Mushrooms

Bothell, WA(Zone 7a)

Yikes, I have an enormous amount (well I think it is enormous) of mushrooms growing in my flower bed next to
the fence in the corner and now it's spreading past my hydrangeas and heading East. Should I dig them up or dig them under or ignore them? Thanks, :)Donna

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I pulled mine but they sort of crumble. I've never had this many mushrooms as I've had this year!

Gwen

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I hear ya.... look at these. You can see them on the under edge of the pic., but there were four great big patches. Looked like a forest of mushroom...

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Bothell, WA(Zone 7a)

Yep, Vizz8, Look like the same kind I have. The first batch has turned dark brown and shriveling up but there's a powdery color brown/red coming off of them. Some were growing through a hose and I don't even want to touch the hose now. When they first come up they have normal looking rounded top and then it turns in to a bowl shaped top like it's scooped out. I'll try to take some photos. Donna

Those are cool looking! They won't hurt anything. I wouldn't worry about them. It's probably all the rain we're getting.

Lakebay, WA

My little mini doberman is excellent at spotting the mushrooms for me. But, he insists on smashing them into the ground as he rolls his head in each and every one! The downside is it's harder to pick up the pieces. The upside is at least he's not rolling in poo, which he likes to do too!
Rain rain go away!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL thank God for small favors...

Beaverton, OR

Many mushrooms belong to beneficial fungi.

If trees or shrubs are around, they might even be mycorrhizal fungi.

I'm not an expert, but I've gained a lot of interest in forest mushrooms the last two years.

If you go to my album page...

http://www.mdvaden.com/gallery1.shtml , select the Mushroom or Fungi link from the drop-down menu. Those are the ones I found hiking during autumns and winters: 2003 - 2005.

I love those photos! Fungi are so cool! Thanks for your link. I was able to identify some things I've seen and had no idea what they were.
Wow! Where did you find the giant forest mushrooms???????? LOL!

Thumbnail by

Here's some more. These were all taken on a really dark and dreary day at Long Beach, WA.

Thumbnail by

here's one more. These all remind me of when I lived in Germany as a child.

Thumbnail by
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I believed mushrooms were magical when I was a child and when I see photos like these I guess I still do. I expect to see a fairy or pixie peeking from under them.

They hid when they saw the camera!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I asked about mushrooms at my favorite garden center one time. I had them growing in a pot on my front porch. They said that mushrooms were a good thing.....meant you had good soil.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

My soil better be good I paid enough for it.... LOL and if mushroom say its good... then i got good stuff....
Great pics, I love to eat mushroom, but have never got up the nerve to pick my own. I dont trust my judgement.. there are so many that look like the good ones that arent.. know what I mean?
Viv

Beaverton, OR

pixydish...

Nice shot of the fly agaric in the moss.

It's the fly agaric that caught my interest in Mushrooms. I barely noticed them in the woods before, until I started looking for them. Now I walk more slowly. It's a very appreciably form of fall color in the woods.

I noticed the fly agaric from my album, at Ecola State Park by Cannon Beach, Oregon. Then I found it on the internet. It's a mycorrhizal fungi, and I found that interesting as a Certified Arborist.

Before, I only thought that mycorrhizal fungi were just microscopic things underneath the ground. I hadn't made the association between those fungi and the fruiting mushroom bodies, yet.

You know what? I didn't know that either!! I thought they were the 'white stuff' I find when I dig in the top layer of fir needles under the douglas firs. I've been meaning to buy a mushroom and fungus ID book for awhile now. Now my interest is recharged!
I bookmarked your site. I had seen some of those more interesting fungus shapes up on Mt. Ranier and down Oregon near Salem. It's nice to ID them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.