I WANT SUNSHINE!

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

When are we going to get some warm sunshine. I garden is yerning, just on the edge of busting loose. A week of sunshine would catch everything up to speed. My morning glories are suffering, (trying their little hearts out) the tubar bagonias are little bitty things, just waiting for the heat, caldimums are spindlely, or nil. day lillies are sitting in buds forever..... I want some sun........
Viv

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

Viv, ditto, ditto, ditto. WYB two of my tomatoes have actually set tomatoes? They are true heros to me, I hope they can hold on. I have babies I've set out that are just "sitting".

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

and sitting,and sitting....LOL

Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

I've orderd a little sun for this afternoon and more next week. Please be patient as the weather gods are very busy this time of year. Especially down south.

jb

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Amen sister! My yard is just sitting here doing nothing. I do have roses blooming and whenever the sun peeps out, you can smell their fragrance all over. But mostly just clouds clouds clouds. None of my stuff that needs to start growing is growing. Don't even start me on tomatoes! I'm going to go buy BIG plants this week that someone else has started under grow lights. I thought starting in a greenhouse would be enough. Didn't know I was supposed to actually USE those grow lights hanging there! (duh)

Gwen

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

WHAT is UP with you people and your SUN!!?? lol You do NOT WANT SUN, you KNOW what that ATTRACTS!!! Something WORSE than slugs!!

Best;
bluelytes

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

...what's sun?

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

TIFF,
Last time it was seen we sacrificed a virgin, kept it away, but virgins are NOT what the USED to be. We could be in TROUBLE if we cant find one.

Best;
bluelytes

I hear you!! I also think a week in the upper 70's would be soooooo
Nice.
At least I don't need to water very much but the plants would enjoy a little more sun and warmth. I do believe!
Oh and a few of us Humans too.
Photo from yesterday morning

Thumbnail by
Duvall, WA(Zone 7b)

Gwen,

I started some tomatoes from seed in the greenhouse back in mid april. By the 1st of may they were an inch or two tall. I just got them into the ground outside last weekend. The tallest is maybe 10 inches. Spindly little things, but I gre'em. I have been walking past the cart loads of gigantic, robust 2 foot, multi-branched monsters for the last few weeks. But I resisted buying the Darth Vader grown invaders and will stick with my little home grown, charlie brown toms.:) They do have a couple of flowers. Hopefully they'll produce a fruit or two.

Next week, according to the weather report (Ha!) for W. Wa., we should get a return of the sun.

jb

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

junior,

I'm with you. I grew my own tomato plants for the first time this year and they look pretty small. I bought some roma plants from HD a few weeks ago and mine are starting to catch up to theirs, so I don't feel too bad. I think once we get a little hot weather they'll be indistinguishable.

These are my Topsy Turvy tomatoes Sunday. I think they were twice a large last year.

Thumbnail by KatyMac
Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

KATY,
VERY nice, you put my version of topsy turvey to shame!! Now all I hafta do is drive around till I find 4 topsy turveys hangin around and I found ya!! lol

Best;
bluelytes

bluelytes, good luck! LOL

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Last year my tomatoes were only marginally better than this years'. We have a really great home farm here that sells produce and flowers and I kept looking at all their really nice tomato plants. So I finally decided that mine were just too miserable and told the woman I wanted to buy some of her big plants. She told me she didn't have anything left. Then she took pity on me (she's so nice!) and told me she had two plants left but they weren't doing well and that I could have them for free. Well, they were SO much better than mine. LOL So I took them home and planted them. They were both cherry varieties. They never did *really* well but we picked off them to eat straight from the bush all summer long. The ones I planted never did anything.

This year I've cleared out a new spot for tomatoes. It's the hottest spot in the yard. I about killed myself getting it cleared out. If I were to go out there and take a photo, you wouldn't even be able to see the tomato plants. That's how small they are. They shrunk since I planted them! Absolutely pitiful. I'm paying a visit to Lois this weekend before she sells out of her 'good' plants.

Gwen

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Relax, Relax all. As soon as the calendar page turns to July we'll have sunny warm weather and soon you'll be grousing about how much you have to water. (That's my fervent hope anyway.)

My dahlias are all in limbo waiting for some heat. I am in wooly sox and a sweatshirt daily here in mid June doing the same. The furnace has been on today. Dang it.

Every year I forget which spring month I complain about more: it seems we get a tease of things to come in April and then I forget which is worse: May or June. I now recall that it is June, every single year.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I have to say that I have really been enjoying the cool weather. I have so much work to do outside and would rather have the cooler days to do it in.

I think this weather is wierd, wierd wierd!! It's humid and warmish, then the rain showers start and stop. Then it goes to cold, and then back to warm. Last year the rain seemed to never stop until July. But the year before that ... remember that year? It was glorious!!! It got nice in february and stayed nice all spring and summer! People complained about drought! I knew we would pay for our good fortune that year, but I didn't think we would have to pay double.
The only thing looking good for me is the roses, and that's only if they don't get beat to death by the rain. My pond plants are growing oh so slowly. My peonies bloomed and then fell over from the rain.
I go on record as saying that I never, ever, complain about the heat or the need to water. I am supersitious about that. No complaining. Nope. I just sincerely thank the sun gods for shining down upon me and my wee little garden!

Mendy!!! What you said 'out loud'!!! I can only hope that none of the weather 'gods' were listening! I must run and put an offering in the garden to cancel out your wish for cool weather!

LOL, Melissa! You made me choke on my cantaloupe!

I was looking through some pics on my pc and saw one from April. Everything has grown so much since then, so I really don't have anything to complain about with this weather. Uh oh, I said it again.......better go put out another offering! LOL

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

Cat got your tongue, bluelytes? ;o)

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

HEY!! WHO stole my post?

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

MGH,
Was just AGREE with YOU re: NICE COOL weather!!

Best;
bluelytes

Glad you're on my side! :oD

Watch out, Mendy. You can't tell with bluelytes. Bluelytes likes to instigate things just to get a reaction from people! LOL

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

PIXY,
Little ole MOI??? I am SHOCKED you would SAY such a thing, but then you ARE delusional re: WHERE the REAL Lakewood is!! :P :P

Best;
bluelytes

LOL!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Overcast, rainy and humid! I am considering going on a hunger strike. . .will get back to you on that after my morning snack.

A hunger strike over the weather in the PNW???? That could be a very dangerous thing! Yes, go have that morning snack and rethink that decision. LOL

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I saw sun three times yesterday!! and once this morning! Thanks Pixy for the offerings! The weather man says we are right on track with the June rains... Yes I do remember two years ago, and loved every bit of it. I think thats the first summer I concidered instaling an AC, would like to think that again this summer.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree with MGH.......again, hehehe.

VIZZ,
I have been running A/C for about three months ALREADY, so keep your sun NORTH of the Thurston/Pierce line, ok?? :P :P

Best;
bluelytes

That was the summer we DID install AC. :o)

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Blue LOL no prob, I'll take what I can get. You do get more weather down there tho, alot more snow down your way.

Dixy speaking of Peonies, mine are still standing I think its because they have a big tree covering them, you reminded me that I had not gotten a pic yet so I ran out and got one before they were pelted.

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

OMG.... NOW ITS HAILING!!!!!! glad I got those pics.
Geeeeish.........

Viv

Keep it up there, Viv! I don't mind the cool weather, but that doesn't mean I want hail!! ;o)

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL I blamed it on DH, he went out to weed... it always rains, when he weeds... ofcourse its always raining... its a visious circle... but on the bright side,,, no pun intended... weeds come out of the ground better when its wet.... silver linning and all that "poop".... .... it coming you way mgh... lol

Viv

I agree, they do come out of the ground better when it is wet!

NO, NO! I said keep it up there!! ;o)

It's a miracle! There's clouds to the north, south and west but the sun is shining here! Gotta go! ;·)

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Thought we were getting a thunder storm.. but it was just Ft. Lewis target practice... wheeew

Viv

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.