sweet potatoes and butternut squash

Ringgold, GA(Zone 8a)

I wrote in last year about growing sweet potatoes. this year I got them in the ground as soon as they were available in this area, I live in north ga, now since I've never grown these things do I just let them spread, do I keep the weeds pulled up around them, I hate to sound stupid, but I'm a firm believer in if you don't know, ask...any help will be very welcome. the butternut is also a new crop for me this year. My mom really likes it and I wanted to grow those for her. thanks again.

High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

I have never grown sweet potatoes but i have grown gobs of butternut. It is pretty much a no brainer, as long as you amended your soil a bit and water the squash and have reasonably warm weather, it should grow like crazy, threatening to take over your whole yard...

You will have lots of yummy squash this winter to eat!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sweet potatoes are an easy crop in Georgia. Assuming that you have deep friable soil ( they are not real particular about type, but they like plenty of depth to put down the roots), Just keep them weeded and let them go untill just before frost. Hopefully you gave them enoght space ( I plant in 4 foot rows at 15 inch intervals) They also do better if planted on a list.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Farmer--that's a lot of sweet potatoes....healthy looking too. Are you going to eat them all?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Nope, I use about a bushel, give the rest away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.