My gaillardia has done something strange

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I've not seen one do this before. The flower head apparently started to split into two, but didn't complete it. Is this common? This is my second year for these gaillardia and I didn't notice any doing this last year.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I had a Gerbera do that last year--don't know how common it is or if there are only specific plants that will happen to. I think it's just a random defect that occurs from time to time, not something that's really a genetic trait that would be expected to turn up year after year so that's probably why you didn't see it last year. If it was something that could be controlled and propagated, I bet you there'd be someone out there making money on two-headed plants!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's called fasciation and it happened to my coneflowers, but only once. It hasn't happened since. It's an abnormal fusion of stems, leaves, or flowers. Distorted growth.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I was reading about fasciation with lilies in the lily forum yesterday, and when I saw this today, it made me think of that. So it IS the same, then. Sort of. LOL. It will be interesting to see how it matures.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

When I get home, I will post a couple photos of strange gaillardia blooms I had this year. Both were on stems that were also fasciated. It's funny how many different forms the blooms can take. Both mine are different than your.

Susan

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

My stems were flattened and curled a little, like ribbons.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have a plethera of rudbeckias with that problem this year.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Was it a veritable plethera?

I have seen that even on dandelions - never knew the term though.

Al--
By a 'plethera' I mean a plague or over abundance, depending on how you want to look at it.
see link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/608348/

Debbie
By the way--going nursery 'crawling' again tomorrow...hoping I find some nice echies. lol

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Debbie - I had seen your pics already - interesting. Pick up Primadonna White I need that one yet - mostly just waiting for Green Envy to drop - I figure Plant Delights will have it for about $30 this fall ;(

Kylee - I have my Arizona Sun and Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia blooming - the rest are a ways off yet.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

So I have heard that the seed of Gallardia is quite often a problem in spreading. I have never seen it here how bout you guys in the Midwest? What I think you have is a dividing zygote (or something like that) that has its X chromosome divide producing the double flower. Now only a guess cause its been along time since genetics.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

This year is the second year for my gaillardia. I started it from seed last year. Another weird thing this year is there are a couple 'Fanfare' that showed up and an all-yellow one (this one was smaller). None of that last year. Weird. And no, I don't have any of those anywhere else.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sof,
I'll have to go check the chromosomes on mine - are they marked under the leaves?

I have seen gaillardia make it somewhat in seeded 'prairie' plantings. Not a major spreader from what I've seen, I have seen volunteers here and there around the garden, but they are true seedlings.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well first I admitted it was a guess but a flower has to be involved in the sex chromosome X & Y and we both know the Y doesn't do anything but make itself available. X does all the rest. Just ask Equil.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Indian Blanket - Gaillardia, reseeded very well when I had it. If you have space for seed to hit the dirt, it seems to do very well.

kb--
You seem to have the gallardias and I have the rudbeckia mutants. In a seemingly normal stand of hot chocolates today....

Thumbnail by dmj1218

stands this individual....
Debbie

Thumbnail by dmj1218

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.