anyone know the growth habit of dwarf garden juniper "nana"

Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Hello,

I'm thinking of using nana juniper to cover a slope on my property (full sun exposure). Does anyone know juniper nana's growth habit when planted on slopes (mine is approximately about a 50 degree angle)? To be specific, I want to know if it grows downward, so that I shoud plant it near the top of the slope and it would cascade down, or if it grows from its center in all directions so that I should give it more than a foot of headroom at the top of the slope.

Thanks!

Joy

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I have 3 that I planted a year ago and they look to be growing from the top down. I don't see any new shoots on any of the three pointing upwards.

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

here's another

Thumbnail by grampapa
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

and the 3rd. maybe someone will reply with longer experience. but these all have kind of an upside down U shape to them with the new growth pointing down

Thumbnail by grampapa
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Thanks for the info and for the nice pics! Your junipers look great. How much have they grown, would you estimate, in that year?

Thanks,

Joy

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

not more than 2-3 inches, if that. they are slow growers, or would not qualify as dwarf. here's a pic of one from shortly after it was planted. they've really filled in. I think some of the longer of the new shoots are under the mulch.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2006 6:25 PM

Thumbnail by grampapa
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

Slow growing is fine with me... It lets me play with annuals/ other rock garden perennials in the meantime!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

well, if you decide to go with 'Nana', enjoy. I love mine.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.