Cicadas - the first chorus

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I think they are cicadas - or are they tree crickets, or both. Or are they one and the same? Anyway, heard them tonight for the very first time. A bit late in the year for them surely.

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

i found this for you.
http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/Michigan_Cicadas/Michigan/Index.html

Circleville, OH(Zone 8b)

When I saw this post I was thinking as well I hadn't heard our this year either.
Mike

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

GL - thanks so much. I have just discovered this site and I absolutely love it. Hence my post on Garden Talk!

southeast, NE

I just love that sound. This reminds me of a story that my dd and I still laugh at when I bring it up. We were at our local county fair sitting on our lawn chairs and listening to a cicada in a small tree. We watched some kids playing near that tree and poking at the tree with a stick when the cicada dive bombed the kids. I never saw kids scream and drop to the ground so fast. And I'm sure they were slightly embarrassed to hear the group of us laughing at them and teasing them for getting their just deserve for teasing the poor cicada. I was listening to a radio call in show and someone said they moved to Nebraska from New York and had never heard that sound and hated it and wondered how to get rid of them.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Those kids probably never did that again - lesson learnt. As for the people not liking the sound - well there's no accounting for taste!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I love the night sounds. Last night (well, early this morning - second shifters, ya know) we dozed off to a chorus of cicadas, katydids, crickets and at least one frog, maybe two. We have nicotiana planted beneath the bedroom window, too, so despite the a/c running, we still crack the window a little at night so we can hear and smell the good night things. :o) Kimberley

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I think you lead an enchanted life Kimberley...lol!! The wonderful sounds AND nicotiana! Are you still working? You mentioned night shifts! What is a katydid?

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

I always thought a katydid was a cute name for cicada. I to like the sound but it also means falls coming. I haven't heard crickets much this summer. I just signed up today and looks like I'm going to like it here.
We had a strange looking bug come to visit our verbena, it had clear wings and black antenna, it's body shaped like a lobster the top half being a light green colour and the stern the colour of a bee. It hovers like a humming bird and takes nector the same way. Someone from Birds and Blooms said it was a clear wing moth, and it's only around for a couple of weeks it's a migrator. Has anyone else seen one before?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Hey there flowerpot welcome - have not seen the moth you are talking about but it sounds lovely. I have only been in the US for 4 years and this latter year living in the country, so I am seeing much flora and fauna for the first time and I'm just fascinated with it all. I have never seen such big and beautiful butterflies in all my life - incredible size!!

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi louisa I've been scanning through this site and found your name several times and read you're from England. I'm in Canada and live in Southern Ontario. We seem to have a lot of butterflies this year more then others. According to the paper we have more butterflies then birds lately due to all of us gardeners wanting to keep the weeds out of our grass. They've got to come up with something less harmful to the birds eh! Nice to meet you bye for now.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Flowerpot - I'm sure you have seen my name many times. I have almost been given the title of Queen Gasbag but I think I have stepped down from the throne recently...lol! As for more butterflies than birds.....not so in my case, I have never seen so many birds as have appeared this year. Great isn't it!

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

Hey Louisa you must be "shy" like me and find it hard to talk to people!!! LOL

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

No, not shy flowerpot, not shy at all!! I'll talk to anyone and invariably do!! .....lol!

St. Thomas, ON(Zone 5b)

My kids used to ask me if there was anyone I didn't know, but, like you it wouldn't matter, I'd talk to them anyway. They are pretty much the same way now.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

.....and it doesn't take much time or effort just to bid someone 'good morning' - like I am doing right now at this 'early hour' - crazy or what!! :-)

Good Morning'

louisa shy, now thats the funniest thing i have heard for a bit, lolololol, hello louisa.

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 10:53 AM

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Good morning again my friends!! Hey Alan, wondered what you are trying to imply there....lol!! I can be reserved when it comes to some subjects. In other words I know when I need to keep my mouth shut :-) Hey sis -guess you and your neighbour can now save on dog food...ROFL!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.