WHAT CROPS HAVE YOU PICKED THIS WEEK?

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Your garden looks lovely and colourful Dale. Oh to be able to grow oranges outside. It has been freezing here for the last three days, so no gardening to do at all. Everything is very crunchy and ice covered.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Season Greet in's to ya'll. Especially Pat!

Finally, my 1st Xmas tomato.

I usually don't get any til Feb. This year I found a volunteer in last years patch, in Sept. So I moved it, to grow it up my Crepe Myrtle, for support. I will be saving seed from this plant if it is of good quality. I will have it for lunch tomorrow.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

We having been having an unusually warm winter. Highs around 27C and lows about 20C. Way too warm, even for this far south. The only advantage is that my fig still has ripening fruit. A Xmas fig for breakfast tomorrow!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I found this Aloe, unlabeled, at the big box store. The label said Aloe, let dry between waterings. I am guessing it is a hybrid. It was in bloom at that time, and I thought the flowers were charming, almost like some of the SAfrica flowerbulbs I used to grow in California. This is it second flush since being potted up and I hope it will be a long flowering plant. And I think they are purrfect Xmas flowers.

I picked the last of my tomatoes today - I've broken my record by about 2 months. They were still a bit green, but will ripen up in the house. I don't think they will have much flavour though without the sun to sweeten them up.

The leeks are great, all three varieties, yellow, blue and tall are doing very well and standing without sending up flower buds.

Picked the last cauliflower which the frost hasn't touched, and a nice picking of carrots which are still surprisingly good with only a couple of slug bites.

I'm still using the Cheltenham Greentop beetroot for greens, they stand up to the frost better than the Swiss Chard and have a pleasanter flavour. I think the Chard sometimes has a metallic taste to it.

The Brussels sprouts and Nero de Toscana kale and Red Russian kale are very good at the moment. The purple sprouting broccoli is sending some nice shoots out, but they aren't quite ready yet. The Giant Italian parsley both in the greenhouse and outside is excellent and I'm still getting nice pickings off the Basil in the conservatory.

The most disappointing vegetable this year has been the onions. They are really small and I haven't even bothered picking them as the tops haven't died down. I've no idea what has happened to them, but I'm keeping an eye on them to see if they reach a size worth gathering this year before they flower. I've never known them do this before. If I think of them as the overwintering onions I may still get an early crop this year.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I only grow green onions. I rarely eat the bulb kind. Did you have a lot of overcast this past season? Or unusual temps? Maybe it was the type of sets you planted, I have been sold a mislabeled plant more than once.

Today in the garden...

Hi Dale, I grew them all from seed, not sets and there were six different varieties, so I think it must have been the weather. They were a bit late going in, but no later than other years when I've had a very good crop. It might have been quite overcast when they are usually ripening up, so that may be the reason. I know they aren't supposed to grow after the days start shortening, but they didn't really grow much before then either.

They were in good soil too, so shouldn't have been short of nutrients, so I'm a bit baffled.

I'll grow next years in a different bed and see what happens.

That's a nice cheerful begonia, it has been pouring with rain all day here, not fit to go outside even.

I've just gathered the very last of the carrots from a summer sowing. They were nice and big, just needed a scrub and still nice and tender when cooked for 4 minutes in the pressure cooker - I've treated myself to a new one since I set fire to the other one. It was an obscure make that I couldn't get a replacement rubber seal for unfortunately.

We've had some lovely Lakeland lettuce from the greenhouse with some spicy rocket and Chinese mixed greens out of the garden. The flat leaved and curly parsley are still doing well in the greenhouse and the ones in the garden are still nice and green, but not as big.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pat, if this is winter it must be citrus season. And tomatoes too.

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Lookie! First crop of chillies.

This plant came from a seed trade from Brazil. An obscure (in 2 senses of the word) Pepper plant. The pods stay dark purple even in maturity. Flavour like a chinensis (and HOT). Foliage a gorgeous deep purple and lovely bushy form. The best chilli plant I have ever grown.

Please, if anyone is interested in seeds just D-mail me.

Thumbnail by B1ZZYL1ZZY
Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Here is the plant - what a cracker!!!!

Thumbnail by B1ZZYL1ZZY

They are gorgeous, I don't think I've seen such a dark purple chilli. I've grown the dark sweet peppers before. I've over-wintered two Rotoco chilli plants and they have set quite a few fruits and also a sweet bell pepper. I've not tried to do this before and it certainly gets nice early fruit, but the plants are rather large and straggly, so I think I'll cut them back quite a bit if I try it again.

The strawberries are producing a really good crop just now - strawberries and cream for tea every day this week - and I've just picked my first raspberry of the season. The Garden Pearl tomatoes are just turning red too,so should be ready in a couple of days. Can't wait for proper flavoured tomatoes again.

There were some interesting varieties of tomatoes in the seed swap we did earlier this year and so far the Early Cascade has a very heavy crop of good sized fruits with a funny pointy bit on the end. It will be interesting to see how they all taste. How do you tell when the green varieties are ripe? I've got some Cherokee Green.

Coquitlam, BC

Hello, new here, just popping in XX

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Hi Maisie Welcome!

This thread will get busier now the season is progressing.

Seed swap tomatoes - Abraham Lincoln - cant remember who sent those . Anyway they are romping away - full of fruit and I will get some photos soon.

Pat - is that Albertos Rocoto that you mentioned last year? I have a couple of those planted outside and have to say - it is one of the most prolific fruiters I have. Take ages to ripen. Do you know what colour they go?

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi Maisie welcome to DG, lovely to see you here.
Have you anything that you are harvesting yet, or are you like me, still at the waiting stage? Oh, except we have a succession of ripe mulberries...

Hi Maisie, The European section has been fairly quiet recently, probably because we are all out gardening. Look forward to hearing what you are growing just down the road (so to speak) in Hull.

Yes Lizzie, they are the Albertos rotoco and they eventually do turn red. I like the pretty little purple flowers. I know you like your chillis and these have a nice heat without burning your mouth out. I like to still have a few taste buds left to experience the other flavours in the dish and these are good, although I must admit to being a bit timid and only putting half of one in to try it.

I'm still getting lots of strawberries and should be harvesting red currants soon as I have managed to rig up my fruit nets over the cherry, currants and raspberries before the birds have had too many.

The mangetout have almost finished in the greenhouse and have been excellent. I've saved some seeds to dry from the variegated sport separately from the others, so will be able to see if they come true or not.

I'm really trying hard to get good sized celeriac this year. They weren't worth picking last year they were so small. So I've grown them on in 5 inch pots and just planted them out yesterday in some good soil with well rotted horse manure, so if I remember to water them they should be an improvement on last year. They are almost as big already.

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

I've never tasted a mulberry. What are they like Philomel?

I think the ones we have that are fruiting at the moment are a hybrid bred as a shade tree and the fruit is not as tasty as the true black mulberry. I've planted one of those, but it's too small to fruit yet.
Black mulberries are sweet and juicy. A little like blackberries but less sharp. They really stain your fingers though - and when the birds carry them around they stain your car, your washing, etc etc LOL.

Coquitlam, BC

Hi, I have 18 varieties of tomatoes growing,about 60 varieties of squash, about 12 sorts of beans, plus the usual amounts of most things. So far this season we have harvested aspargus, strawberries, gooseberries,rhubarb,cauli, brocolli, potatoes,cabbage,broad beans and just a handful of runner beans,lettuce, radish, cucumbers,2 types,and just a few toms.

Still growing are several varieties of melons,peppers, hot peppers, eggplant, some other cukes,garlic,shallotts,celery,onions then the usual parnips,carrotts,beet,,okra and some giant flowers and veggies for fun, caulis, brocolli, rutabaga and turnip,brussell sprouts,savoys and other cabbages.peas, leeks and two types of corn.

I have my winter veggies in pots ready to go out soon,and sweet potatoes too.

Still to sow some others though

Fruit bushes are doing well, rasps are coming on as are all the currants and blueberries, apple and pear trees are OK but I have seen them better and my blueberries are not as good as usual. I lost my apricot tree in the winter, but my crab apple, cherry and peach are OK. Oh and the ginger is doing good as are my rare endangered afghan carrotts.

Thats about it.

XX Jeannine

XX Jeannine

Wow that's a very impressive list Jeannine! Do you have an allotment or a very large garden?
Do you grow organically and/or any other special way eg no dig beds etc?
How did you get your afghan carrots? .....and are they tasty?

Ditto Hilary, Also, Jeannine how long has your apricot been outside? I have a new one in a pot and was wondering whether to put it outside in a fairly sheltered place or not.

I've had an almond flowering and fruiting as a free standing small tree for several years now and that is OK. Do you think an apricot is as hardy as that?

This week's main project has been my fruit cage - it will probably fall down in gale force winds, but should serve its purpose.

At least the fruit cage will let the wind through - unlike solid fence panels that fall down at the drop of a hat - or the first breeze lol.

I think apricot's are slightly less hardy than almond, at least to get fruit. A baby one I planted last year has sailed through our -15C winter with no problem though. A nearby olive lost all its leaves - though they are growing back now. It was very cold when the apricot was flowering and it hasn't produced any fruit, but then that's possibly a good thing for its first season... Hope yours continues well. I should think it would love to be outside somewhere sheltered in the summer Pat.

Does your peach fruit so far north Maisie? Is it against a wall or in the open?

Coquitlam, BC

Hi ,I have had my apricot 3 years, 2 years old when I bought it,can't think why it died. I think the problem with then is thay are so very early flowering and they don't pollinate, but in this case the whole tree has died ?? The peach and cherry are fine though.

We have 2 allotments and a very small garden.

1 allotment is flat with a greenhouse, the other is mostly 1 foot high raised beds with 2 greenhouses.

I don't use any pesticides, lots of cow poo,seaweed fertiliser sometimes and a lot of hand picking!!!!!

I have never grown Afghan carrots before and I got the seeds from the US.

Philomel, perhaps you can help me.

The red onions in France, the protected one, Rose de ?? sorry I would have to look it up, it is the name of a town. I know it is impossible to get the seeds but can you tell me what time the onion is available, I would like to buy some, there must be somewhere online to do that. Bell ringing..Rochoffe something like that.

Years ago, it was possible to get them here and I liked them very much.

Do you have any idea please?

XX Jeannine

I think these are the ones you are talking about Rose de Roscoff:
http://www.roscoff.fr/article.php?id_article=350
http://www.paysduleon.com/fr/patrimoine_culture/musees_ecomusees_fermes_parc_animalier/maison_des_johnnies_et_de_l_oignon_rose_de_roscoff

Sorry I don't know where you can get them, but it says there are 50 or so growers in the Roscoff area.
Let me know if you need anything translated.

I Googled in English and came up with this, dated 2006, but would be worth enquiring:
http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/index.asp?PageID=422&subsection=&Year=2006&NewsID=632

Hope you track them down :)

Coquitlam, BC

Thank you Philomel, sadly I cannot read the French. I had seenthe Sainsbury's article , I contacted them re supplies this year but they were vageue about the chance, and not all stores had them last year .

I don't want to put you to any trouble but if you could have a quick look at the articles and if any of them do a mail order can you let me know I would be so very grateful.

Even phone numbers would be good. I could perhaps try in English.

It seems that August is the date they are around.

Thank you again, is there anything I can do for you from the UK.

XX Jeannine

OK I'll have a look later and see what I can find, no problem - just am going out so will do it this evening
Thanks for the offer for things from the UK, that's very kind. My son still lives in Kent and I'll be visiting soon hopefully, so am OK for that. Not that there's much I can't do without. Our purchases seem to be mainly puzzle books for my Mum *grin*

I've just had a look at my new peach tree, which is growing next to the conservatory wall, and it has 25 peaches on it. My next job is to put vine eyes into the wall to make something to tie it back to as at the moment it is free standing, but it is growing well. It is a Peregrine and I bought it as a 2-5 year old tree. It looks like 3 years from the growth it has made. Looking forward to some juicy peaches.

Hi Maisie, here are contact details for onion producers/sellers

Pascal CREAC’H : président de l’association des Johnnies : 02 98 63 15 94 (Johnnies are sellers of Rose de Roscoff)
Robert JEZEQUEL : président du Syndicat de défense et de promotion de l’oignon rosé : 02 98 61 49 26 (protection and promotion)
Claire GOUEZ : conseillère technique à la Chambre d’Agriculture : 02 98 69 17 46 (technical advisers, presumably to growers)

...and here's the address of the Town Hall (Mairie). I think a letter in english to there would bring results. They are listed on the promotion page for the onions
Mairie de Roscoff
Contact : Chantal FAILLER Chargée de communication 6, rue Pasteur BP 69 29 282 ROSCOFF cedex

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can do more :)

Your doing well with that peach Pat. Here they are acknowledged to be difficult to grow. Good luck with it. I bet those fruit are going to taste absolutely peachy *grin*

They seem very protective of the Rose de Roscoff onion as I can't see any seeds for sale, and it does sound an excellent variety. Perhaps a trip to Sainsburys may be in order and a little seed saving next year.

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

http://catchingarainbow.blogs.letelegramme.com/places_to_visit/

Here is a link to a little article about Roscoff and the history of the Onion Johnnies and the Rose de Roscoff . It is a shame that something as humble as an vegetable should be prevented from distribution among ordinary people. It's not as if gardeners are planning to take over the industry is it!!!

That is an interesting link. I suppose it is like the Greeks via the E.U. stopping the little dairy industry in Yorkshire calling their cheese Yorkshire Fetta. I think they are now calling it Yorkshire Fine Fettle or something similar - but we know it is a very nice creamy fetta.

I was just thinking - the Roscoff onions would have a bit of a challenge with our heavy loam, not a trace of sand, and the seaweed would have to be seaweed meal as we are about 100 miles from the sea.

Coquitlam, BC

Philomeal, thank you for the links, I am determined to find some of these onions, I will let you know if I do XX

I'd go and get some for you, but it's at the other end of France, eight and a half hours away, and not on my route to the UK :(
http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/ItiWGPerformPage?reinit=1&strStartCityCountry=1424&strStartAddress=&strStartMerged=32400&strDestCityCountry=1424&strDestAddress=&strDestMerged=Roscoff&image2.x=32&image2.y=7#

Coquitlam, BC

Oh gosh, I wouldn't dream of putting you to so much bother, what a sweet thought, I will find some if it is ment to be XX Jeannine

I'll keep my eyes open in case I can find some locally

Coquitlam, BC

Hi just a message that I have changed my name from Maisiefairfield to JeannineAnne.

When I couldn't get my own name of Jeannine I took another name, but could not get used to it so I have had it changed to my first name and middle name combined

XX Jeannine

Thanks for telling us Jeannine - I once tried so many different names and couldn't use them that I put Gettingfedup and it accepted it - so I sounded like a right old misery guts, although it was a bit of a pun as it was a dieting website. Didn't make any difference though I still need to lose a stone!

Today I've picked lots of Crimson flowered broad beans and some of the Big Beans (broad beans from Lixi in the seed R.R) They were delicious. I've also managed to save about 4lb of strawberries and a couple of bowlfulls of raspberries. I thought they would be ruined by all the rain, but most of them are OK. We've eaten the raspberries fresh and I've made some strawberry ice cream in my new icecream machine. It is brilliant and only takes 20 minutes. I adapted the recipe as I hadn't any cream, so I pureed the strawberries, added icing sugar (I hadn't any caster sugar either), and used thick greek yogurt and mascarpone cheese instead of the cream and it was really good, and a bit lighter than the double cream recipe.

I've recently bought Sarah Raven's new cookery book and am working my way through it. It has so many ice cream and sorbet recipes that I had to treat myself to the ice cream maker to try them out and it is another great way to use the fruit instead of jam, puddings and wine.

Which kind have you got Pat?I've just bought a Chilly, which doesn't stir and isn't electric - put it in the freezer to get it cold enough and then take it out and put your mixture in. Then 20 mins and it's ready. I've tried with creme fraiche and fromage blanc too and like it like that very much.

....and welcome to the new JeannineAnne :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.