Canyon Duet and Swirling Fantasy

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I found Canyon Duet on clearance at a local nursery and just planted it yesterday. It is very short with tiny leaves. The leaves arn't fancy, but I love the blooms.

susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Swirling Fantasy is one I grown for a few years now. Great color plus long blooming. Canyon duet is planted at the far end of this bed on the other side of the Lollipop lilies.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2006 10:41 AM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Champagne Bubbles is another heurchera that I have in the same bed. I'm not real fond of it, but am going to see what it does next year.

susan

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

What don't you like about CB? It's on my list to find.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

CB had very plain leaves and the blooms are OK, but not as nice as many of the cultivers. I don't really dislike it so much as think that there are other nicer ones. Sometimes I've found the blooms are better the second year. Canyon Duet also has the plain green leaves, but I really like it's blooms and smaller size.

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I love the Canyon Duet. I had not seen that one before. Wonderful flowers.

Susan
=^..^=

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Caramel and Other yellow/Golds?

I have seen photos in the Wayside catalogue and elsewhere for some really gorgeous golden to orange heuchera. Does anyone have these? The Wayside prices, of course, are absurd, but I have found the same or similar plants on the web for less. My concern is that the pictures vary SO much, I can't tell which ones I like.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have Caramel from Wayside. So far it hasn't done much for me. Still very small. Early spring color was nice, but not so much so now. Peach Melba has a better color for me.

susan

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

sissy,

I have a few of the more colorful ones. Some are in the ground, some aren't yet. If I can remember, I'll take pics of them and post tomorrow. I put Dolce Peach Melba in last year ans it came back beautifully. Here is a pic of it from early spring. Has filled out a bit more and is flowering right now.

Kelly

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I had Dolce Peach Melba in the containers they came in outside most of the winter. They survived, although one was significantly smaller, and I planted them about a month ago. Lovely and they seem pretty hardy.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

wing,

They do seem pretty hardy. I have Amber Waves and I just moved it. It was really struggling where i had it. Hope it likes it better where it is now.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

GardenG: That really is lovely. Does it like more or less sun?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

sissy,

Thank-You. I have it in sun for the better part of the day and it seems to like it. I have found that around my neck of the woods, the lighter hostas like more sun and the darker, less sun. However, I have Palace Purple and Cappuccino in sun and they seem to like it too. I guess one just never knows. I plant them, watch them and if they aren't doing well, I move them to more or less sun, depending on where I had them first.

Kelly

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

It's all your fault! I ordered 3 Amber Waves, 2 Marmalades, and 2 Sun Spots from LazyS.

By the way, if I have the time, I am going to post some price comparisons. At this point, I think that LazyS, in VA, and Sooner Farms, in OK, have the best prices for large plants. I chose LazyS because they are closer to me. The plants range from $6.50 - &10 for quart sized containers. Compare that with the outrageous prices for bare root or tiny pots from Wayside and others!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

sissy,

My fault? Now I have yet Another person blaming me?,,,roflol ,,,,,,Join the crowd, Susan (9kittymom), Sylvia (City_Sylvia), Sharon (sassygranng), and prolly a couple that I have missed,,,lol

Kelly

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Kelly, you causin trouble over here too???LOL

Debbie

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Debbie,

Me? Never,,,lol

Yes....she does get around....

ROFLMBO

=^..^=

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Watch it my pretty,,,or I'll get you and your little kitties too,,,,ROFLOL

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Kelly: Ok, ok. It's not ALL your fault. :-)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,,Thanks sissy,,,but the others will Never admit it. roflol

nope

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,See, I Knew it.

Delhi, IA

Garden G-------- In zone 4 do you mulch extra around your plants for winter protection?My old green leaved ones I never do. Or my Palace Purple. Just curious.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Not usually. This last Fall I did cause I went So over board on hostas, I wanted to protect them as much as possible. So, whatever Heuchera, Hecherella or Tiarella that were in the same beds got heaped with leaves. The ones that weren't in the same beds got no winter protection. All came through just fine except my sanguinea (sp?) Poor thing is doing better now, but had a lot of winter kill. That's the first year I can remember that. Usually it comes back wonderfully.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Here are two of the new marmalades from LazyS. They are a bit leggy, but nice. I was very impressed by the service and prices at LazyS.

Thumbnail by sissystars
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Another nearby

Thumbnail by sissystars
Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

While I'm at it: can anyone identify this heuchera? I got it years ago, it did nothing, and now it has just gotten huge and started flowering.

Thumbnail by sissystars
Central, WI(Zone 4a)

sissy,

Very nice plants from Lazy S. I do believe the Heuch in the bottom pic would be Palace Purple.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

Kelly: Ah, thank you. Palace purple sounds right. I admit that I bought it, when I did, only because the man at the nursery insisted that I just HAD to have dark plant. I don't seem to like the dark purplish plants much.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

You're welcome. Hate when they do that.

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

I know. It makes me feel like such an aesthetic failure. :-)

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I agree

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I thought I'd revive this thread with a question about Swirling Fantasy. I reread Lincolnitess's original post saying it was in the garden for a few years, long blooming and very pretty. I bought 4 plants probably in late June and further seperated those to make 6 plants as the easily divided when I planted them. All summmer and fall they were plagued by insect damage, looked like slugs. They were modest sized plants but much larger than plugs. I treated the area with Sluggo and all other Heucheras (Caramel and Autumn Bride, both villosa) suffered no further damage. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this cultivar suffering more insect damage? By the way Lincolnitess, the photo of them blooming in your garden is quite lovely. post #2377833

This message was edited Feb 5, 2007 9:47 AM

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Swirling Fantacy is another of my plants that was froze solid under a block of ice and still looks real good. Down here I got to be very careful of my plant hosta selections because they will not make it in the kind of weather we have been having the past few years. Others like Dolce Licorice seem to relish the a hot mid-day sun. I am certain it is because of the plant crossing etc. in these hybreds.

Sissy---- I am not certain but I think the leggy thing is due to lack of sun are else too much water. My Palace Purples kind of grow out of the ground and spread all over if I do not watch them. Last winter I took a pair of hedge shears to them and choped them down to short nubs. They came back with gaint leafs. Attacted a lot of attention at the garden tour in may.

Jamlover---- I do not mulch around mine. They have all been covered with much ice for weeks this winter. They all are doing just fine. Lime ricky actually was bright green inside a ice block about and now looks like sprintime setting out there. I do not think cold will be anymore of a threat to Heuchera that it is to Hosta.

Semper----I have never had a problem with slugs on Heuchera, Heucherella,or Tiarella. I must exercise very good slug control but it would seem I would have had them somewhere. I have a lot full of rocks and crevises. I also mulch with rock.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Looking at these photos from last spring is giving me spring fever. Sure hope Swirling Fantasy is doing well under the snow. Can't wait to see it bloom again. I had no problems with insects. My Caramel from Wayside Gardens made it through the winter, but died in the heat of summer. Probably in too much sun and not watered enough.

Susan

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan,
Spring fever has hit me hard already too. I'm being very impatient for it to get here,,,lol. Hope all my babies are doing o.k. too

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Kelly---- I am quickly coming to the conclusion that hosta are not easy to kill. They about got the hardiness of dandolines. I am very happy about that. and a few of the new heuchera also are tough. But there sure is a lot of them will not tolerate the weather down here. I am sure Kittymom will 2nd that. I and Sus will be hitting a little spring next week Kelly. 50s and 60s. Poor poor Kelly.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oz,
Don't be rubbin it in now, we're still -7º with the wind chill. I'm freezing. That's why I'm worried. We don't have much snow cover and I'm hoping I put enough leaves down for mulch. With the cold temps and the lack of snow, that soil temp gets pretty cold, hopefully not enough to freeze things out.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ozarkian,
I think you're right about your choice of rock mulch being responsible for your lack of slugs. I have heavy clay soil and use lots of leaf and pine needle mulch (and compost). I also use the newspaper trick under the mulch to suppress weeds, great feeding grounds for slugs. They are not all bad, the baby slugs are important food for fireflys. But even slugs have plant preferences. They never bother my blue hostas.

lincolnitess,
When does the Swirling Fantasy bloom for you and how long does it bloom? I love the way you have used it as a low edging plant in the your garden.

Now that we finally had some snowfall, maybe 3", I 'm ready for spring too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.