Gardening Hutch

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's an old kitchen hutch from the 40's. I am going to paint it a really cool color of green. I spend a lot of time out here.

Thumbnail by MsMolly
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

MsMolly,

Please, please, please, don't paint it and leave it out in the weather. What you have is an old Hoosier cabinet and these are very hard to find. Here's a picture of mine that I rescued from the elements and refinished. It also had been painted and left out in the rain. Most of the glue joints had started to come apart and I had to take it apart piece by piece and re-glue nearly the whole cabinet.

These cabinets are worth between 800 & 1200 dollars depending on the condition. I know it's your cabinet to do with as you see fit, but I wouldn't recommend leaving it outside. ☺

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

I have an old Hoosier cabinet as well which I have totally refinished. This particular one that is my potting hutch is not a very good one. I've had it for about 25 years out in the garage and I was planning on getting around to refinishing it.....But, it's not good wood. It is a cheap one and the wood is not worth refinishing. I have it under an eave which doesn't get too wet when it rains. I plan on bringing it in to the basement in the Fall. I think it works well as a potting hutch and I'm going to paint it to look distressed. If I plan on selling it, I'll get more money when I finish it and sell it to a gardener!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

MsMolly,

I hope you didn't take offense, I know it's really none of my business, but I just love antiques and hate to see them get ruined.

Red

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

No offense taken. I, too, have many antiques. This hutch just didn't seem like fixing up.....plus, I can't find the drawers or door to it. I can't remember where I put them. I live right on the Ohio River and a couple of years ago the river came up to the garage and I had to move everything out......So, when things were put back, I'm sure some stuff got lost. I love this little hutch and think it's a great piece for a potting shed. I'll post the after pics when I finish it.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Love your hutch MsMolly. Great idea.
Patti

This message was edited Jun 11, 2006 9:25 AM

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Great idea to reuse your hutch for a new purpose! I too had one of these one time and don't worry Big_Red I think you are thinking of the much nicer ones made of solid oak (hardwoods) as yours is. Mine like the one MsMolly has was made of inexpensive wood (may be even an early version of pressed wood for the backer board of the draws/back of the hutch). Mine definitely was always painted and never stained.

Of course we all see things on Antiques Roadshow being worth so much if the person only didn't refinish the item so it is worth checking out before doing this type of thing. But I believe it is good to reuse things in new ways. This year I am using some old crocks in the garden to grow my cannas. Since the crocks are the common, simple ones and have some chips they are only worth $10 to $15 so isn't it better to get some use out of these items then let them sit in the garage or basement?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I'm with Big Red! PULEEEZ restore that gorgeous piece of furniture.

BIG RED: Your hutch is outstanding. I gasped when I saw it. Can't say enough about the fine work.

Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

First of all, gyngirl, it's not a gorgeous piece of furniture and it's not worth refinishing. I enjoy it the way it is being used and that's what's important.......I know antiques very well and I would not be so stupid as to ruin a good piece of furniture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey sedum...........ABSOLUTELY!!! I bet the crocks look really cool. I work in a really snazzy urban gardening specialty store and you should see some of the items that we use. So cool! Sometimes you just have to think a little!!!

Molly

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Hi!

Big Red, you have done great work with your hutch, it looks terrific! And I do understand your concerns! :-)

Molly, I imagine your hutch, valueless as it may be, is a confortable, relaxing thing for you! I know how that feels - I have an old desk at home which was my husband's grandmother's, and he keeps saying we should have it refinished, but somehow I really like it the way it is, chipped here and there and generally shabby looking...

I love your old hutch just the way it is - I wouldn't paint it any other colour, but that's just a matter of personal taste. I think I'd get some baskets that would fit the lower shelves and use them as "drawers" - I think they'd look great with that sort of washed off, weather worn white colour...

I'm curious as to what you've done with it! Post some pics if you can!

Thanks for sharing, all of you!

Love

Hiraeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.