Broad Beans

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Hi from a newbie seed saver.
I have a lot of broad beans that I'd like to gather to sow in the autumn. Many of the pods have turned black and the seeds inside are dry, so I imagine these are fine to collect now.
However, some are still in green pods. Do I need to wait for these to dry completely or is it possible to pick them now and dry them off the plant?
Will appreciate any advice

I don't know if someone has already answered you on another forum Philomel but just in case. The beans are ready to harvest as savers when the pods are black and the beans are dry.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Thanks Baa. I had some advice on the veggie forum, but this is really helpful :)
I've saved the Seville Longpod, but the Crimson flowered is still in very green pods. That was sown later, so I'll harvest when the pods turn black. It's been very dry and it's difficult to water, so they are rather taking their chance, but they did actually produce some beans after the not setting problem.
I've just looked at the forecast and after tomorrow it's due to thunder and rain for a week! We'll see.... Hope those beans survive a drenching after the drought

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.