My container shelf!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

This is my spring work in progress. When I bought the central large container at a yard sale, my daughter and I found that I had more blue and blue and white pots than I knew what to do with. We bought a selection of annuals and a few perennials and started potting up. there are several more pots done and added to this now, but the rains came down last wednesday night and it has been too wet here in MA to get another picture. The iris is a clump that a friend gave me to plant in the ground and while it was waiting for me to get to it, put up a flower spike! I knew what color it would be because she told me and so we found it a display pot to cover up the green plastic and in it went. My hubby helped me put the shelf together with three large rustic looking paving stones and a 2x 8 x8" board. I have had fun with this project since it is the first thing you see when you come out my kitchen door. I have moved the empty pots and what not away. Now all I need is some SUN!!!
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Great Job Martha. Your plants look terrific in the blue pots. I love that blue and white pot in the middle.
Patti

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Looks awesome, Martha! I to luv the middle blue pot! Where did you find it? Is it ceramic or metal?
:) Donna

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The blue and white pot {Yes, it is a treasure}, came from a yard sale. 5 Bucks. It is porcelain and very deep but no drainage, and unfortunately for us here in MA, the monsoon season has set in and it needs to be tipped over and drained several times in a week. The others came from various places, Kohl's, IKEA, and just plain hither and yon over the years. Every time my daughter and I thought we had them all out, we'd find another. This is kind of what made it fun, matching up the plants to the pots. I have salvia, perennial bachelor's buttons, nierembergia, some hosta {1st time I tried potting that up} Pansies, pelargoniums, etc. a good mix of shapes and colors.
Martha

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Love it ! Great job ~

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

This pot is what inspired me!
Martha

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Went shopping. found some more pots of the blue persuasion and I will be setting them up tomorrow.
Martha

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The shelf is holding up between the awful hot days and the torrential rains. The hosta, azaleas and other perennials I put in are doing well also. I have had to deadhead a lot and some of the pansies fried out, but the begonias are flourishing in their place.
Martha

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Martha,

I found your thread, your pots look awesome.It has the cottage garden feel about it. You are inspiring.

Cheers Annette

Orange Springs, FL(Zone 9a)

I think it's lovely! I also like the blue & white pot.
Shellie

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! I have swapped in some different plants since the pansies and some of the lobelia fried. The rose bush in front has been blooming steadily all season. I have also put a couple of the perennials I potted up in the ground to preserve them. It has been fun keeping it up.
Martha

Pearl River, LA

Gardenmart I have a blue pot that appears to be just like yours... My DD got it for me at a Hobby Lobby for $30.00... I said I liked it and the next time she came to visit she brought it to me... have to watch what I say around that kid.. you got a deal...hope you are feeling well today...shirley

If yours is old mine is probably a copy.

This message was edited Aug 15, 2006 3:53 PM

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Dear Shirley,
Mine was just used, I don't think it is particularly ancient. I bought it with soil in it at a yard sale early this spring. If it was truly a valuable piece of porcelain, i probably wouldn't be growing stuff in it...then again...I might!
Martha

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.