Are your astilbes blooming?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine are just beginning but I thought that it would be fun to share them with each other.

Thumbnail by doss
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi, doss - they're just beginning - I'll get some pics tomorrow - Dax

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, good. I'll look forward to it. Nothing flowers in the dark like astilbe, don't you think?

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

The astilbes just started blooming here in western NC. I just planted them this February, so I'm delighted!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

They take off pretty fast, don't they?

Hi doss - well, I asked for rain in another thread yesterday, and today we got it - been a soaking rain ALL day. It's great for the plants, but haven't been able to get any pics of the astilbes. I'll try again tomorrow. I'll bet they will just explode after this drink of water - Dax

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Mine are blooming in one shade garden -- in front of my house next to the garage. In a backyard shade garden they haven't even started to bud yet. I have some Astilbe Vision that I just planted in a third garden this year and they look like they are about to bloom. This is the third year for those in this picture.

Thumbnail by nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

These were new last year. I think they are Peach Blossom.

Thumbnail by nutmegnana
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the heuchera with them in the second photo - and of course the hostas in the first photo are wonderful. They are such a nice texture comparison to so many larged leaf woodland plants, don't you think?

Bettendorf, IA

WOW!! I just planted some astilbe I bought mail order so I won't see them bloom this year but your pictures have me droolig for next year already! Gorgeous!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I finally snapped some pics this morning. I moved this Astilbe a couple of weeks ago, but it looks like she is going to enjoy her new home.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo
Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

That looks like one very happy astilbe! I agree, Doss, I like astilbe as a contrast in texture and form to the broader leafed plants like hosta and heuchera. I also love the long lasting blooms that are different from any of the other shade loving plants and they last a very long time. Even when they are "over" the stems and remaining heads add interest. One of my favorite shade plants!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow Betty. Those are some really bright astilbe. Love the birdbath in the background of the photo.
And nutmeg is right. Pegz is going to love her astilbes. :-)

Bettendorf, IA

You guys have me so excited!! This is my first year planting so I will be a basket case unitl I can see stuff really happen next year. I already think I need more astilbe...

Yay! I got a few today so here goes - should be much more showy in another week of two so this is just the first installment - I love them!

#1 - Red in the hosta -

Thumbnail by dax080

#2 - Pink with the hydrangea - both should be blooming in another week -

Thumbnail by dax080

#3 - A miniature fern astilbe with miniature hosta -

Thumbnail by dax080

#4 - A white astilbe - not all blooming yet -

Thumbnail by dax080

#5 - and these five will be lovely when they are all blooming in another week or so - there should be lavender, white, and pink in this group -

Will update when they are luminescent!

Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Your gardens are always so lovely Dax. You have a talent for using the different astilbes right where they belong. I love the 'fern' ones next to the miniature hostas. And that must be a very miniature hydrangea. Yes?

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Dax - Do you know the variety or the source for the "miniature" astilbe? I seem to be collecting mini hostas and I would love to get some of those, too.

Thanks.

Sherry

Hi Doss and Sherry - Thanks for the kind words. First - doss, the hydrangea is a standard, BUT it is in 100% shade and so does not grow very large. It's interesting because it has been growing there for about 15 years, and never gets bigger than that. About 3 years ago I tried to move it when I learned it should have more sun (DUH!), but when I tried to dig it up, it basically refused to move!! The roots just would not let go and so I just left it. It didn't bloom at all for about 5 years, and now it has more blooms each year - just smaller.

Hi Sherry - my favorite place for astilbes is a nursery called Crownsville Nursery. They are online and are listed in the Garden Watchdog. If you go there and look under astilbes, the second half of the list are dwarfs and miniatures. That's where I got these, but they have a number of varieties, and they send healthy, large plants. I have never been disappointed. The fern leaf should be there. Have fun!

Dax (Becki)

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Becki - I'll have to check that out. I also order from Crownsville and they really have great plants. That's where I got the Astilbe VIsion I added this year. I guess I'll need to scroll down a little further. I have ordered from them for several years and their shipments are always first rate. I usually check there first if I am looking for some specific plant because I know that, if they have it, the best quality will come from them. Their sister company, Bridgewood Gardens, is a great source for hosta also.

Thanks again,

Sherry

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'm a little embarrassed. I order from bloomingbulb at their sale in the spring. Can't beat $2.50 and I've never had one not come up. If you want customer service though I don't think that it exists there. And they have quite a range.

Hi doss - Embarrassed? You've made my day - at $2.50, it can't be beat, as long as they are dependable. Are the plants a decent size? I love both Crownsville and Bridgewood Gardens, but usually wait for their sales. Plus, I've just retired, and so now am on a fixed income - so THANKS!! Dax

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yes, they come bare root but large. All have bloomed the first year. Bloomingbulb has a hit and miss reputation in the Plantfiles.

Hope that you're enjoying your retirement.

They are taking orders for fall shipping and even so are less than half of Crownsville.
http://www.bloomingbulb.com/XQ/ASP/Category.32/QX/CartBulbs.htm

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Picabo/Betty

What is the name of the astilbe in your pic? Is that Pumilla?

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I kept thinking that I need to post that name. LOL It is:

"Visions in Red" It has been my best blooming astilbe for years. It seems to stay looking good a lot longer than the pink shades.

Betty

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

That one is really beautiful, Betty. Have you ever tried astilbe in containers? I'm wondering if they would be happy with hosta in a container, wintered over in my garage. I've done it with hosta for several years -- they do fine but don't get as large as in the garden. I'm wondering if astilbe will winter over that way, too.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I don't see why they wouldn't over winter in containers. Seems like I have had some potted that I didn't get in the ground until spring.

I think that I killed one of my pretty ones last week. It had gotten so big I decided to move it and divide into 4 clumps. They really look bad. I need to cut them way back tomorrow. They are so tough I usually can't kill them. The one that I was moving was a pale lavender. I would hate to lose all of it.

Betty

Adamstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Ouch! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I've planted two lavenders but haven't had any luck with them blooming yet. Here's hoping yours made the move. Don't know if you have had as much dry weather as we have had this spring but I've had to do lots of watering to try to keep my newbies going. I'm getting some mini hostas that I want to put into containers. I think maybe I'll try astilbe with them and see what happens over the winter. I'm guessing they need somewhat the same dormancy period.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I moved three of mine recently and they had huge dieback but they have come back. I think that you're supposed to divide them in the fall. But evidently they can die all the way back and come back the next spring.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

We have had Too much rain. Until the day I moved them then it all stopped. I really don't think they are dead, just really feel bad. I need to move several more, I think I'll wait until fall.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

All you can do is hope that they are OK. I've never divided them before.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Very pretty pictures. I am really looking forward to mine blooming...we put some in along the side of the house last July while they were blooming in their nursery pots, and they "died" almost right away. They are bushy and healthy looking right now. I planted some Bridal Veil ones in the new shade bed, and those are gearing up to bloom , as well....I will post some pics as soon as they do their thing.

I love astilbes. Unfortunately, for some odd reason, they are my dog's favorite plant to pee on. Grrr!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2006 9:18 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh no. Plant pee posts! That's why I have girl dogs and no lawn to speak of. Solves a myriad of problems. Of course you can't go trading in your dog right away. :-)

Glad to know that yours came back.

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Doss, someone told me that it's the urine of female dogs that causes those unsightly spots on the lawn. I will say that I don't have a problem with that with my boys...but then, I think I told you what an eyesore my lawn is in the first place. The pee most definitely affects the astilbe foliage. Can't figure out if it's a good thing that he singles out one type of plant...better to pee on one, than pee on all? At least he's a small dog and can't aim high enough to get the flowers! The astilbes along the house are purpley pink....can't remember what the name of that one is.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't have a lawn and haven't for years so I don't have to worry about that. And the dogs are small and polite and walk/run around my plants.

Sorry about your astilbe foliage though. It's so beautiful.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

how long do astilbes bloom?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.