lillys changing colors

Florence, SC

My lillys have changed from beautiful colors to a common orange Why ???

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

That's interesting. How old are they and do you know the named varieties? What colors are they suppose to be. I know that there are annuals that their seed will eventually revert back. Didn't think that could happen with lilies. You may have to take your question to an expert.

Cordele, GA

I have found that sometimes lily blooms are heat sensitive and that coloration during a cool season differs from color during a hot season. My trumpet lilies developed and bloomed over a period of about 5 weeks. The first ones opened during a cool spell and had wonderful, rich colors. Those that opened later, when it was hot, were much paler in color.

Could the temps this spring have been different from last spring?

Beth

West Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I was growing a few orange lilies with brown freckles in a 5-gallon pot on the balcony when we lived in an apartment. When we moved to a house, the first year was unremarkable, but the second year, they all came up yellow with no freckles! They were still in the pot the whole time, but we had other asiatic lilies in our new yard. We guessed maybe the original lilies had died out and the new ones were from cross-polination with their new neighbors?

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I have a clump that I swear use to be orange and are now red. Here's a pic of them. Note the one orange petal. Very strange. That's the color I remember.

Thumbnail by beaker_ch
West Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh wow, just imagine if you could get every petal to do that!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.