Variegated Echinacea

Otis, CO

hi to old friends and new members. It's 8ftbed (blaine) on a temporary pass with mom's account.

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a variegated echinacea.

At the end of a foliar feeding trip around the yard this morning I was floored when I investigated 'white' at the back edge of an area I've let the magnus 'naturalize'.

You can be sure I'm protecting, nurturing and putting out feelers to the big nurseries. :)

Thumbnail by lizziestoy
Otis, CO

Thumbnail by lizziestoy
Otis, CO

Thumbnail by lizziestoy
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Interesting! No doubt you'll be looking after it well. Good luck!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Hey, Blaine! Nice to hear from you. How are you doing?

That is a beauty, hope you can keep it going! Can you imagine it? I bet that would be a popular plant.....

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Echinacea 'Prairie Frost' has variegated leaves. I've had one for several years now, not the most robust plant, but it does OK. The flower looks like a regular E. purpurea purple coneflower, nothing special, but I love the leaves.
Deb

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have Sparkler which is a mottled varigation. This looks like sections without chlorophyll in them, it would be interesting to see if this is permanent or a temporary mutation. Sort of like that new canna they have now.
Al

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's Sparkler today, one of the few Terra Nova plants available locally. Your plant would be more their line.

plopping this in
http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=356

This message was edited Jun 8, 2006 10:57 PM

Thumbnail by bigcityal
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Al--that's wild, I'm going to have to get one of those. I'm assuming that's this link, right?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/79566/index.html
Please post pics of that when it blooms!
Debbie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's it Debbie, don't quiz me on the difference between Prairie Frost and Sparkler. A little ways off to flowers yet.
Took me a while to find that - only one place within 50 miles!

I never seen any down here...think they would come true from seed?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Back to this again LOL, I'll save you some seeds and you can try.

Shameless beggar that I am?!?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Some of my varieties might not have many flowerheads this year so get on the short list if you want them.

You know I have thought about lobbying for a coneflower forum, but it would probably just be us talking back and forth ;}

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

There's a picture of Prairie Frost in the PlantFiles. http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/83268/
Leaves look the same as mine, I thought mine had a bit larger (longer petaled) flowers. Will have to wait a bit yet for this year's blooms!
Deb

Al--I think if we threw the rudbeckias into the forum too....I'll lobby Dave for it. April--another great DG person--grows a lot of them too. In fact we're driving 70 miles today to try to find more--lol

I better be on the short list--lol--your getting a lot of rudbeckias too so build another bed up there in 'your pleasant summer weather'.

Thanks for the link momcat.
Debbie

Otis, CO

sheesh, I've never heard of Prairie Frost or Sparkler.
The last 2-3 years everyone's been jumping up and down with the new colors and yeah I elbowed my way right in there starting with Art's pride.

I seriously doubt these variegated versions will come true from seed. The only variegated thing I know firsthand that's true from seed is the nasturtium Alaska. I hope I can get this variegated echi to thrive and it comes back. That half/half will make striking foliage even after they're done blooming.

The real mottled versions of variegation seem kind of hard to get them to stand out. I've got a sambucus with that heavily mottled version. Unless you reall look at it or know what you're looking at, it just blurs together and all visitors just walk by. I do like that mottled stuff on a heuchera I've got. I think it's Snow Angel or something.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Debbie - my definition of coneflowers would be echinacea,rudbeckia and ratilba - 50+ varieties of those at least I would guess.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Where can I buy the 'Sparkler' retail?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You will have to look locally pretty hard I would guess. Otherwise Plant Delights would be a good bet.

Otis, CO

I dont' think I've seen them in local nurseries but I googled earlier and Wayside Gardens has one of the varies. If you read closely, I think it's the very last statement calls it a 'compact' version.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks..it is beautiful

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

You should be able to find it locally. I know I saw it at one of my favorite nurseries (Milaeger's in Racine, WI) last year.
Deb

All the local nurseries around here are just trying to keep the Big Sky stuff in stock...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.