Sabal Palmetto

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I picked up some seeds off of a sidewalk today that fell from a sabal palmetto "Cabbage Palm". Any tips on getting them to grow. I have already removed the outer coating of the seeds and have them soaking in water.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

plant in moist, warm soil and watch.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I found some potted sabal palms at a nursery the other day. They are in 5gal containers and are somewhat rootbound. If I buy them, should I plant them in the ground now or wait until winter so I can break up the roots a little?

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

I'd say plant them in the ground, so that their roots can get better established (although I don't predict you having any hardiness issues with them in your area)..... Root bound palms are not like root-bound other trees.... I.E. they cannot girdle themselves with their own roots. Just plant them, and the roots will eventually grow out from the tight, pot-bound ball..... At least if my experience with other monocots applies here.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Thanks Hikaro

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I agree. You NEVER want to 'untangle' palm roots.. they LOVE being root bound, and unless there is almost no soil left in the pot, rarely suffer at all from the condition.

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I've found that that also applies to Bamboo and NZ Cabbage trees as well... I've gotten some babmoo that was quite root bound, but it sent rhizomes out from the tangled up mass (I did nothing to untangle it), and it grew just swell.... Same thing with some heavily root-bound NZ cabbage trees.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.