somewhere, PA

And the other...

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

And the hanging baskets...

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

last container.

Please feel free to post your containers if you like.

Thumbnail by Tammy
Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Nice job Tammy! I love your use of heucheras in your planters. You have some lovely combos and colors. So you combine perennials into your containers. Question: Do you move the perennials out and put them in the ground for winter?

This is my first year trying flowering containers (other than growing herbs and tomatoes in pots I grow mostly plants 'in the ground'). Here are my photos over at PictureTrail:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=10593099&uid=4348107

Sue

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Two containers, first, a huge basket not all flowers in bloom yet

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

half a oak barrel

Thumbnail by Maria
somewhere, PA

Sue,

You've got a wonderful collection of beautifully planted containers there!
I've lets dianthus in containers over the winter (they are very hardy here) but
I think I'll pull the heucheras out & plant them out in the garden at the end
of the season. (I pull the ipomea's and dahlia's out & box them up for storage
in the basement).

And wow Maria - those are wonderful big containers! I'm just starting with the
big ones. They are so much more fun with all the extra space. You've really
packed the chock-ful of blooming beauties.

Tam

Coeur D Alene, ID(Zone 5a)

Those are all beautiful! Here is my favorite that I planted recently. THe rest are too sparse to show yet!

Thumbnail by mosc0022
Dallas, TX

You guys are soooo good at this and Tammy how do you come up with so many creations. How do you decide what you are going to do? Do you buy the plants first and then get a container or do you do just the opposite? How does it all come together?
Sylvia

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Tammy, yours are great. Yes it is fun to do containers. I have mostly perennials but use annuals in containers among them. We had terrible rains it ruined many of them what with being flooded. Had a wheel barrow full with flowers but had to dump them.

somewhere, PA

Maris - I've been looking at old wheel barrow's planted up for several years thinking of doing that myself.
I never thought about the drainage issue. I'm sorry you lost your firsts batch of containers!

Sylvia - I am not a planner. I order all sorts of seeds during the winter and grow most of the container
planting material from them. This spring I also bought some pretties (like the heuchera) from a
nursery in Lancaster County. Their prices are fantastic. Then I put my containers together.
Its so much cheaper to grow them from seed plus gives me great pleasure during the cold months
before spring. I plant the left overs as fillers in my borders & beds.

Mosc - looks terrific!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Did that one yesterday

Thumbnail by Maria
somewhere, PA

Ah.. so cute! I love fuscia's. What else is in there? Dahlia's?

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

yes and petunias, dahlias,bacopa, licorice, daisies and more can't think of all if them right now

somewhere, PA

Pretty pink mix!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

thank you, Tammy, my favorite color,

somewhere, PA

Did you see my "pink garden" yet? (I've posted it elsewhere .. sorry if its a repeat to you).

Thumbnail by Tammy
Covington, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the first picture the best. Great combo and colors!

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

No, I did not Tammy, thanks for showing it, looks lovely !

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Love your plant combos... I love looking at all these planters . I will have many ideas for next year.......Aleta

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Dolly, you still have time to start

somewhere, PA

Absolutely! I just potted up the last of them a week ago.

Tam

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

I have some containers,but, have been working on new flower beds and a garden this year..So far 5 beds and a 30x55 garden...Aleta

Thumbnail by AFDolly
Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

another,,,,, I just finished the gazing ball.....Aleta

Thumbnail by AFDolly
somewhere, PA

Aleta - who's in the drivers seat of that little tricycle?

And did you make the gazing ball? Looks really cool.
Tam

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

tammy - i love that pink garden.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Great containers..I love the Dahlias and million bells also.

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Tammy, they are little garden elves,the one on the trike is riding a snail.. Yes I did the gazing ball in red half marbles.. It is a plastic gold christmas ball... I did it on rainy days .. I have winter projects I get garden things in bisque and paint them over the winter....Aleta

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

everyone is doing a great job on the containers

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Maria I have a red polka dotted toadstool in one of my containers, too!!! :) Your containers are really lovely.

Jacci

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Wow, all of your containers are so beautiful. I have to study up on plant combinations. I am also afraid to add too many plants. Don't they get root bound or leggy with so many plants packed in them? Here is an attempt of one of my container gardens.

Thumbnail by staceysmom
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

everything I just wrote went poof , see if I can repeat what I wrote

Stacy this is just perfect and very lovely. Yes roots may get bound but if there is enough very good potting soil, I use MG, they will have enough room to spread
Here is a photo of a window box at first planting

Thumbnail by Maria
Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

this is later

Thumbnail by Maria
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Maria I just love the combination of yellow and blue flowers. Your window boxes are so very pretty. I also planted a blue lobelia and marigold container. I do use MG potting soil so I should be okay then. Thanks. Also a quick question... with that large basket you planted... did you use a liner of some sort or just put the potting soil right in the basket? It's gorgous. I have a large basket and have been thinking of planting in it also.

This message was edited Jun 12, 2006 11:25 PM

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

depending how large the bake is. Mine is pretty big, I put empty pots upside down in it about half way up and stuff it with plastic grocery bags in between, it will afford the plants plenty of drainage but before I do all that I use newspaper to line it and the bottom too . I have also used the peanuts from boxes that had breakable items sent to me instead of plastic pots.

That way you will not have to use so much MG but it will still be enough for the plants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.