Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Poppies!!!

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's the lace flower I was referring to in another thread

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Your Veggies are lookin' great! My tomatoes are doing pretty well. They are growing, but don't have any flowers yet. It won't be long before you have Zucchini! That plant grows BIG! Pretty Poppy! Which variety are you showing us? Sorry, don't know the name of the lace flower. It kind of reminds me of Queen Anne's Lace. Does its foliage resemble a Fern or Carrot?

The only WS plants that are blooming in my garden are Nasturtium and one of the Dianthus. I need to take pictures of them.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Does Strawberry Foxglove count that was WS in 2005?

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Anita - blossoms on the tomatoes already?? What kind are you growing?

Everything looks so green and lovely! You have had a great 1st year WS - congrats!

Shirley, if it was wintersown, it counts! Nice foxglove.

Most of what I have blooming was WSed, but not this year. Foxglove, gaillardia, malva 'zebrina' and 'mystic merlin', astilbe, and a TON of re-seeded alyssum. My lilac bloomed this year, and it was so pretty - too bad its done now! Then I've got store-bought clematis, asiatic lilies and a mock orange blooming now. And a small pot of pansies. This year's poppies and bachelor buttons are starting to bloom, and I see buds on the petunias.

So far, it's been a very pretty garden for me this year. Sorry for stepping on your thread, Anita, but I'm so pleased, I just have to share my garden pic:

Thumbnail by PVick
Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Great pics Pvick!

The Lace Flower is Orlaya grandiflora White - http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/7077/1/float . I'll get a zoomed out pic on the next sunny day.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

PVick, What a pretty Brooklyn garden! You anywhere near that tree that grows there?
Dave

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Here's another pic of the lace flower

Thumbnail by Anitabryk2
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! Much nicer than the Queen Anne's Lace! I have seeds for the orlaya - now that I've seen your pics, I will definitely be trying them next year!

Thanks!

PV

Arlington, TX(Zone 7b)

Were all the flowers planted from seeds? That's impressive! I've successfully sowed the seeds but could never bring them up to marturity. How did you all do that?? When do you transplant them?

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Ed - try reading the info on this website http://www.wintersown.org/ most of us found it very helpful

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

There is a picture in this thread of a balcony full of blooming plants by PVick about halfway down. Can anybody tell me the name of the red daisy that's bloomin in the picture? Surely it's not a Gaillardia, or is it?

Thanks for any light you can shed...I want this plant, but ya gotta have a name! :))

Suzy

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, PV, do tell the name of that pretty red flower

Karen

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Yep, it's a red (burgundy) gaillardia! The gaillardia from hades. Sown in the fall of 2004, nothing but low-lying leaves in 2005. Gave it a last chance this year, and it has rewarded me by blooming non-stop since May. It is now the gaillardia from heaven!

Here's a current shot (flowers are waning now, but still doing their thing) -

PV

This message was edited Sep 22, 2006 7:29 PM

Thumbnail by PVick
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

PVick,

I googled both 'Gaillardia from Hades' and 'Gaillardia from Heaven' and nothing came up -- hahahahha, What's the OTHER name of it? It sure doesn't look burgundy in the picture! It also doesn't look like a regular ugly hairy Gaillardia -- not one of my favorite genuses under most circumstances, but I am really taken with this one.

Would you be willing to take a look at my trade list? I'd trade you 3 for 1 for seeds from it. Oct - Nov - Dec -- I'm in no hurry.

Suzy

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Hey Suzy!

I received the seeds in trade back in 2004 - they were labeled "red gaillardia". To my eye, they are more of a deep wine-red color.

It goes under gaillardia x grandiflora 'Burgundy' or gaillardia aristata 'Burgundy' ............ here's a very accurate picture of how the flowers look ....

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/80818/

I've not grown gaillardia before, so I'm not familiar with its habits; this plant seems to spread by runners (?) - I've found chlorophyll-deprived plantlets under the pot.

I'll be happy to send you some seeds. My seed-collecting skills are in their infancy, so I could just send you a few of the dry seed heads; I've been dead-heading the plant, but now leaving it to go to seed.

D-mail me and we can talk!

PV

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, PV, those were the ones that jumped out at me too. I was trying to get Gaillarda Tokajer (sp?) in a trade that fell through this summer. Are they still blooming? When did they start, more or less?

Thanx!

xxxxx, Carrie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Carrie - I can get you Oranges and Lemons, you were wanting helenium right?

this was my Burgundy

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I just ordered some burgundy gaillardia from Swallowtail. They have free shipping this month, so today is the last day.

Karen

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, Al, I was wanting gaillarda red, or orange, or oranges & lemons. I was wanting whichever Helenium WASN'T yellow. Al, that picture is scrumptious! I'm now wanting that color, too! I was originally hoping for salmon/coral/blush pink. After a summer spent yanking out yellow flowers we planted in late November, this time I'm trying to approximate coral by combining white and red and orange and pink. Thanks for posting that picture.

xxxx, Carrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.