Bluebirds are moving in!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 5:08 PM

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

My friends,

Thanks to all of you who have written and/or voiced your support here! It seems that by trying to help I have caused some problems. I thought that I might become "toast", but the administrators decided to just clean the crumbs out of the toaster. I have a better understanding of what is (and has been) going on and intend to try to fix what damage has been done. I need to continue to work with the administrators of this board to do what needs to be done. I think that we can use the Garden Foes forum for any discussion about S&S without upsetting the cart. Personal references seem to be a BIG no-no. My bad! A LOT of information has been deleted, so another thread may be in order when things get sorted out. I have catching up to do and things need to settle down, so I'm laying low for a few days - but I'm NOT toast!

I have Dmail, e-mail, posted questions and my own website to catch up on, so please hang in there! I'll get to it. I ALWAYS do.

magpied,

We have strong differences of opinion. I suggest that we ignore each other or start a debate via e-mail to avoid future DG problems. You can e-mail me at fishlkmich@yahoo.com and if you choose to do otherwise, please just notify DG administrators as to what you are displeased with. Posting to my threads in the future will be a serious problem. I have a strong feeling that we may both be toasted if we disagree openly here. I would enjoy debating with you personally on any subject.

Mark

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Glad to see you're still with us, Mark; you have a lot of valuable information and experience to share and, as I said in the removed threads, I'd have resigned from Dave's if open expression of opinion on controversial subjects was censored. Glad to see that the administration has come up with a reasonable alternative.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

So I guess I should call off the search for you Mark? Jeepers you scared a lot of people who need you and appreciate you.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Welcome back Mark!!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

A little update on my family.
They flew the coop! I was away from the house most of a day and a half and on my return, I noticed it was pretty quiet around the box. They were all gone! There was one dead baby inside - it had feathers and was big. I guess they grew up and moved, but forgot to say goodbye.

So the family flew the coup on you, eh. Isn't that how it always works. One day they are there and the next they are gone. Glad they passed through and hung out by you for a while.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Me, too. I was watching for the first flights, but just like the neighbors who burn their trash, they waited for the rare time I was gone. :-)

What an analogy! I love it!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-)
'cept the birds didn't leave my house and surrounding air fouled.

Shortly after we built our home and started moving in, one of our neighbors burned some of his garbage too. He went to sleepy sleep and left it smoldering. His fire started burning again and sparks traveled up to an oak that was clinging to its leaves and that traveled through the tops of other oaks that hadn't dropped their leaves . Those burning leaves dropped down to the brush of Buckthorn that was here taking over my understory that then traveled to our new house. It burned the south side of our house. We got condemned and had to move out while they re-built our new house. Did I mention it re-ignited two days later and hit an enormous compost pile that was created by another neighbor? Can we sat methane gas? Kaboom!

Don't you just love people who burn garbage and leave it unattended while neighbors are gone or sleeping? My neighbor also burns plastics. You want to talk about foul smelling air? All I can say is that we weren't fully moved in and lost very little comparatively speaking.

If I am not mistaken, I think stelco lost his entire house and 100% of the contents a few months ago and is living in temporary housing while he is rebuilding.

Gosh I love people who burn garbage and don't make sure their fires are out.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Gracious!

It's a regular thing here! I call the police (so, even if they never get here, the complaint is noted) and TEPA (Tribal EPA), who does come out eventually. Got my shovel and pitchfork to help put out one, while I went on and on about what that smoke was doing to THEM and the kids sitting in a car downwind. Diapers, old plastic food containers, clothes, you name it - just poison smoke, because some was years old and wet, so didn't really burn. With the dump fees being around $160/ton, I can understand why garbage disposal would take a back seat in a tight budget, but I still can't let burning get by. It's illegal, so a fine can be levied, but if there's no money for the dump, there's sure no money for a fine, and a fine doesn't solve the problem. (*sigh*)

Around here, it seems folks get "burned out" purposefully (houses) rather than caught in the path of neighbor's unattended burning. To have to move out of a new house just after barely moving in would be difficult, I'm not sure how I'd deal if I were stelco.

Housefire was one of my biggest fears as a kid. My room was on the second floor of an old farmhouse in upstate NY (Maine). At night, I'd squish my clothes hanging in the closet together with the idea I'd save myself from a fire by tossing those down first, then landing on them. My poor mom didn't like it - back in the days of ironing. :-)
(I do not iron, 'cept on a rare occasion, and generally in a hotel room).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.