Rooting oleander cuttings.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

I am going to cut back my huge oleanders and I want to try to root the cuttings for eventual trades.
I have double peach/pink, double off white, and single little red. They need cut back so they will stand staighter than when I bought them and to give them a chance to get denser.

Does anyone know how far down I should prune them.

Please help. These are too pretty to loose the cuttings. I have 3 double off white, 2 single little reds, and 2 double peach/pink. And they are over 6 feet tall.

Thanks for your help.

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't help you with how to root the cuttings, but I think the way you're supposed to prune oleanders is to find some of the oldest canes and cut them back all the way to the ground but leave the younger canes alone. I tried once shortening up some of the canes, and got a TON of new growth that came from where I cut, which made the problem of the plant's size even worse than it had been before I pruned. My plants were older though and too dense in the middle and it sounds like that's not a problem for you. I'm not sure if pruning is the right way to go for yours--you may need to just let them grow for a few years and the middle will get denser over time. Oleanders don't really branch out like many other shrubs, so the normal advice of heading them back to get more branching doesn't really work, and I'm not sure how to prune in order to make new canes spring up from the base--I think you just need to wait.

Premont, TX(Zone 9b)

They root easy in water

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.