New cucumber (and lima bean) frame

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here are some pictures of a new climbing frame for cucumbers and lima beans which DBF built for me. I think it's very artsy and practical at the same time. The only thing I need is a little bit of support lower down on the frame for when the plants are still young. It's built from cedar and bamboo.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture showing the side, close up. He rounded the edges on the supports. The whole frame can be folded downward for taking off old plants at the end of the summer. It just needs to be unscrewed from the fence supports.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Very, very nice! It looks very good as it is, but won't it look great covered with vines...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I sure hope so. This is the first time I've grown lima beans but I love to eat them, so hopefully they'll do okay. It's also my first time for the cucumbers I'm growing this year, seed for which I got in a trade with Kanita, and she sent me such a great selection. I can't wait to try them all!

I might try melons on it next year. This year they are in another raised bed with a different trellis set up.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

looks great! If you have any free time I got a few projects over here need doing..lol
;)
Debbie

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

wow - that is awesome! I was admiring your new frames for your tomatoes earlier today. Did you go out and get yourself a real carpenter or what?? I'm so jelly. Your stuff looks very professional, my stuff looks like branches off a tree (because it is!)

I don't suppose ya'll have something in mind for growing pumpkins? I am growing them on top of hay bales this year, since they so easily rot on the ground when the ground is wet. Any ideas?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Woodworking is DBF's hobby, so I got lucky on that one! He likes to draw stuff out on paper first and think about designs, which is good because it helps figure out the best design. Funny you should ask about pumpkins because this year, for the first time, we are trying Dill's Atlantic Giant! Haha! We have nothing special planned for it. I guess because it's the first time I grew a pumpkin, I didn't know their form, so I wasn't sure whether it would climb or not, but I'm sure one could not have giant pumpkins hanging off a trellis, it would bring down the whole structure! I didn't know they were going to rot on the ground. I will tell Kelly that and see what he thinks we need to come up with, and if he has good ideas, I will pass them on!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Great looking trellises CMoxon! I hope you enjoy the cukes, I have been picking sugar crunch every day this week. I want to see if it actually produces 60-70 per plant.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

60-70 per plant!! Wow! I planted 4 seeds of each variety you sent!! I am going to be overrun at that rate! Well, we'll see how they do in zone 5a. Maybe it will be half the yield of zone 10a. I have such a bad case of zone envy! I also have to be careful with the cucumber beetles because I do get those, so I will probably have to spray for them or use some other means. Maybe row covers when they are young.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

CMoxon,

Great looking growing system. I need you here to build me one. :)

Sonoma County, CA(Zone 8b)

Please include pictures of your beans as they mature, I'd love to watch how they progress on this frame.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.