Could someone please answer question?

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

At our church, we have an area along side of the building.
A couple of us ladies would like to plant flower maybe a few small shrubs. The problem is the area is filled with lots of gravel, grass and weeds from the parking lot we had b4 we black topped it. Hubby was going to till it, but there is no way,
I was wondering if I sprayed the grass and weeds with killer and we hauled in dirt (The length of church and 5" deep) to fill the area in question, what type of perennials or self sowing annuals and shrubs, could we plant that the gravel underneath would not hinder them from growing.
Sorry I don't have a picture.

Connie

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Is this area in sun or shade? Would the plants be growing in soil or into the gravel itself? If you use weedkiller you would have to be very careful when planting anything else into that soil.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Would the plants be growing in soil or into the gravel itself? Is this area in sun or shade?

There will be about 5 inches of soil on top of all that gravel so they would be growing into the gravel. It gets the morning sun and is shaded in the afternoon.
Quoting:
If you use weedkiller you would have to be very careful when planting anything else into that soil.

I am using an ortho product at my house for the flower bed I am doing here. I am going to take it over there and use it on the grass and weeds in that area, once the grass and weeds are dead, we will haul in the top soil.
The container says it is safe to plant 2 to 3 days after using and can also be used once flowers are in, but we will weed it the old fashioned way. don't want to take any chances of a breeze and flowers getting sprayed.

Connie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.