Going to Hawaii in August

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

for my honeymoon.. Probably Kauai and Maui.. Any recommendations on gardens to visit?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

The really "good" botanical gardens are on Oahu- Foster Botanical Garden in Honolulu is very interesting and has a wide range of plants-some are really old. There is another botanical garden there that I went to that also was well worth it.
Maui doesn't really have any to speak of-that I remember-all the unusual plants are in peoples yards. There are some places, but let me put it this way-when we lived on Maui-it was Oahu that we went to to see the botanical gardens-Maui is just one huge jungle-outside of the towns. Kauai is the same as Maui. But there are some really cool places to go on Kauai-as on Maui
Where are you staying on Maui and for how long?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA(Zone 10a)

I went to Maui two years ago and the best Gardens that I found was "The Garden of Eden Botanical Gardens" on the way to Hana and although it was nice, it was not spectacular with regards to the variety of Palms. I happen to be going to both Kaui and Maui in September with my wife. Where are the best places considering the lack of really nice gardens to see the biggest variety of Palms

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

The National Botanical garden on Kauai is nice, but unfortunately most of it is a 'see-from-the-bus' tour. By far the best gardens on the Hawaiian islands are on the main island and Oahu... oh well.. next trip?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the info, just another reason to go back

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, it's not completely settled where we're going yet.. Unfortunately I've been told Maui is the most tourist-infested island but my wife's friends have all told her that they love it there.

Maybe we can spend a few days on Oahu instead of Maui..

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Oahu is full of tourists, too, but thankfully they stay away from the botanical gardens. There are more botanical gardens on Oahu than you can see it 2 days, so you will have to go back anyway. I spent a full week there and still couldn't see it all. Maui and Kaui are more oriented to tourists for sure. There are some nice gardens in Maui, but the island is a bit harder to get around and the gardens are not palm oriented. Kaui is very small, and though beautiful, little room is set aside for botanical gardens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.