Show us your lupine

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

I only have red and would like to see other colors and maybe trade some seed

Thumbnail by veeja3
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful! A plant that grows only in my dreams down here......I'm looking forward to this thread!
Debbie

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Mine is Russell Red but is actually hot pink. I have blue seed but gave the plants to my neighbor. Guess I should start a few more. This is last year's pic. This year there are only 6 stalks blooming. Smallest number in years. Not sure why.

Thumbnail by kooger
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

NICE!
I have far less than last year too. Only 4 measley plants with curved flower stalks.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Any ideas why they're less this year? I think the warm spell in the middle of the winter was too long. Usually they only last a couple of days but this year more than a week of warm temps might have started them growing and the next freeze did them in. I think I'm going to be much more liberal with mulch this fall and mulch stuff I normally don't. Just to keep things colder.

comebychance, NL(Zone 5b)

this is a pic from last year of mt white lupin

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

this is a pic from last year of my white lupin

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

sorry ,i sent it twice.Heres a shot of that lupin up closer

This message was edited Jun 4, 2006 4:39 PM

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

My twisty lupine:

Thumbnail by Dave47
Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

uck! that's no fun! are they always like that ?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Dave47, what are you giving your lupine, perhaps those pills that we get 10 thousand spam emails about a week! Here is mine. perfectly behaved, but the truth is that I just bought it last week. I have killed many a lupine..can't figure it out and I love them. What do they need (perhaps you aren't the person to ask with your twisted sisters)? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I don't know what they need (obviously) . I recued these from an old garden being turned into lawn. They were very full last year with only a few twisted ones. This year sparse & twisted. I have no idea why.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Mine did that in the other bed - I thought they weren't getting enough sun, so I moved them. Now they look like this....

Thumbnail by sstateham
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks sstateham. I do have those on the shadier end of my bed. I have newer plants coming up in a sunnier spot, I'll see how these do.
Dave

thats it so funny bbrookrd i laught that hard i almost peed.I can just picture dave giving the pill and see the results ha,ha.
my lupins do the same thing wouldnt it be great if it would work.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Duh!
bbrookrd, I didn't get your joke. Very good!
And if they stay erect for over 24 hours, no problem!!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Dave47 (assuming 47 is just short of 48 hrs) at least your lupines stay alive, mine have always just given up and petered away. Digging dirt from Comebychance, oh my! Back to horticulture. I am trying them in a new spot this year with lots of sun and good company (oak leaf hydrangea, baptisia, sir Thomas Lipton roses, day-lilies and Siberian iris). I figure that if those are all thriving in this part of the garden, the lupines should too. I think you should plant that lily boogie woogie with you lupines and crank up some tunes. Patti

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

Mine get lots of rain and love and no twisted ones here, just all red

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted wildflowers last spring and got this, this spring.
They were beautiful.
Viv

Thumbnail by Vizz8
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Very nice!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

That is gorgeous!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know if I'll actually get any blooms this year or not. I wintersowed mine and they did great, but they aren't growing very fast once I put them in the garden (over a month ago). I also started some seed at the time I transplanted the wintersown seedlings, and it seems like soon they will catch up to those. They're all pretty small. Hopefully, they'll take off soon...

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

I have purple and would love to trade for a chunk of a different color when it is done

Renton, WA(Zone 7a)

I would love to trade you for red ones, it is all I have can they be divided? thankyou carol

Concord, NH(Zone 5a)

Yes it is huge I can take a pic if you like. It is a bit crooked due to some monsoons we had.

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

I'll trade seeds. They are so persnickety about being moved, I think I'll feel more confidant trading seeds.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sometimes the weak or curling is due to a shortage of potassium or an excess of nitrogen. If your soil test tells you potassium short and acidic you could sprinkly some wood ashes around them. (not much) and you would get lots of K+.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

kbaumle, I used winter sowing for lupine this year too. I don't think I will be seeing any flowers until next summer. They are growing well, but have a long way to go. I don't think I will have any to photograph this year.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I'm thinking, zenpotter. They look healthy enough, just very small.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

bbrook- If you deadhead them before they set seed, they might come back better for you. I had the same problem, but apparently they will seed themselves to death. So after the bloom is done cut them back. I also had one come back the next year, but with no bloom????? Then died.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

My newer lupine plants are coming up untwisted (like my old ones above)
Yeah!

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

I had a lupine that was twisted--it had an Oriole on it --I guess he was enjoying the necter--I didn't know that Orioles worked those flowers.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Ivy1 and Dave47 (sounds like an intersection) Not to worry about my lupines. I've already killed the newest one. It was beautiful on June 9 when I left on a trip to Vt , but when I returned on June 14 all the stalks were broken and on the ground. We had a lot of rain, but I think the lupine gremlins stopped by and stomped on it. It looks pitiful, but I will leave it for now and hope a miracle happens. Patti

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.