What kind of pears?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have two pears trees in my yard. One is what I call a Sand pear and the other one i'm not sure about. The smaller one on the left in this photo is the one that I don't know. The bigger tree on the right is the sand pear (I think). They are both around 20 years old. The smaller tree seems a little more susceptible to fire blight.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here is the fruit from the trees that is not yet ripe. The rough pear on the left is from the bigger tree, it is usually bigger then the other one. The pear on the right is smoother skinned, although still rough. It comes from the small tree. Both of them are crisp like apples and taste similar. Any ideas?

This message was edited Jun 3, 2006 5:48 PM

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

pic

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If they are crisp and taste similar to apples, It is possible that they are Japanese pears. Most of the cultivars that I am familiar with also have an apple shape. i.e 20th Century, Hosei, Chojuro, etc. The one on the right in the picture has the traditional pear shape, but these typically get soft when ripe.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

You are right, the one on the left does have more of an apple shape and size. The one on the right is the regular shape and a little smaller, but they never do get soft. The only one I can find online that is crunchy and has the typical pear shape is "Yali", but they look yellow in pictures. Mine are green with slight red on them.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2006 6:49 PM

Brooklyn, NY

escambiaguy

Oh my gd- what a yard!
soooooooooooo envious- my yard is 15ft by 15.!
how big is your yard?

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have roughly around five acres. I was in Manhattan last year and remember quite well how tight it is there. LOL I do enjoy my yard alot. The yards here seem to be getting smaller and smaller too. Here's a picture of my front yard.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Brooklyn, NY

that is crazy!-
your front yard is about 100 times bigger than my back yard- green with envy!

Brooklyn, NY

here is a link to pics of my yard- asu can see, barely the size of a large planter!
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ggrunsfeld/album?.dir=b555re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Wow, you certainly do make the most of what space you have. It is relaxing in a big city to have some "green" around. I'm going to try to plant more trees and reduce my grass area in the next few years so i'll have less to mow.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2006 9:20 AM

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here's a picture of one of the pear trees. It is so loaded with fruit this year. When the pears get bigger and heavier the branches will start breaking.

Thumbnail by escambiaguy
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

For prettier pears and less stress on the tree, you may wish to consider thinning.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

That tree is a good 30ft tall. I would have to have a tall ladder. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.