Sick lily or shy bulb?

Fox River Valley Are, WI(Zone 5a)

Hi,
Last year I bought this lily in a pot. I planted it when it was 2-3 feet high,and it blossomed. However come late summer, August? maybe, it turned brown and I thought it had died. Well I was excavating where it was planted and found this bulb that is firm but has these brown spots on it. Also it is June and it hasn't started to grow yet. So is this thing a dud, sick, or just plane shy?

intercessor

Thumbnail by intercessor
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

I would plant in the garden. Give it a drin k and mark it well so you don't let it dry out. Needs not too much or it will rot but needs enough to root well.

I planted it last year in the ground. Is there any lilies that would sprout this late?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The bulbs that I planted last fall ~ most came up on time and some are just getting a good start now. It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like yours might be starting to put some growth out.

If you wonder about adequate moisture, as I do at times, stick your finger in the soil or use a hand spade to dig a small hole in the area where the lilies grow. Check to see that the soil is moist but not wet. If it's moist, then that's just right, if not, water accordingly.

Water isn't the problem here since it is in topsoil/clay. The only reason I thought about digging to check them out is some baby lilies sprouted just a short time ago. If those are coming up late maybe the main bulbs will do something. These turned brown and shriveled up mid summer so maybe they had a fungus. I dug the dirt up and put a small layer on top to see if the warmer temps get them going.

Good day,
intercessor

Englishtown, NJ(Zone 6b)

That bulb looks nice and healthy to me. The brown spots are not a problem. As long as the bulb is firm and has a good color it should be good. Seems that since you are in a colder area, it is just taking a little longer to come around.

Whatdayaknow the sister plant just sent up a main sprout!

Gardening 101 :*)

intercessor

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.