What is wrong with my Tropicanna gold??

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Here's Cleo!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Y'know, Sevin dust can cause phototoxicity on plants, too. In other words, it reacts with the sunlight, and damages the leaves, so they look diseased. It is also highly toxic to bees, excellent pollinators, who can get it on their bodies and take it back to their hives, wiping out whole hives. I use Bt, brand names Dipel (powder form) Thuricide or Green Light Bio Worm Killer (liquid forms) for canna leaf roller. It is a bacteria that kills only the larva of butterflies and moths, which is what the canna leaf-roller is.

Louisville, KY

Their is a cure. Well I thought I would share something about this. A friend at a Tissue culture lab has said they are able to produce clean virus and disease free plant from contaminated sources. This is manly done by removing and working with the core of the plant that seems to be the main source of life and growth for the plant. Aparently this area in most if not all is so simple that the virus has not yet infect it. So if the plants are TCed and done right it will be clean of all viruses. Though they are just as easily infected once out in the plant world. Their is also another hope an actual cure that is a form of the virus that is a dormant form so it shows non of the effect of the stronger virus. I have no idea how this works. But is sounds very interesting. Hopefully their will be some easy solution in the near future. I hope.

Thornton, IL

Hi everybody! I'm new to growing Cannas, and new to this forum. I actually sent for two Tropicanna rhizomes last year, but let them dry out. ;-(

So I started off by buying, drum-roll please, Tropicanna Gold from Monrovia!! At Home Depot, recently. Ok June 5th. For the low, low price of $15.21. The pot was bursting with plants, there are at least 6-7! I didn't divide them or anything before I planted them. I don't have any other cannas. According to this book I have, Steven M. Still's Manual of Herbaceous Ornamental Plants, "Bud rot, rust, mosaic, aster yellows, Japanese beetles, and the yellow woolly bear caterpillar are noted, but are usually not serious." I'm taking this to mean, along w/bwilliams comments, to just enjoy them for the season, possibly as annuals, but Wow! they really pack a punch in the garden. :0)

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Prairie,
Post a pic, if you can. We'd love to share your joy!

Thornton, IL

Gymgirl - Sorry, I forgot to watch this thread! I'll try to post a pic. I hope it grows big now that we're getting some heat! :0)

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am new really to this forum also and planted my first Cannes last year I received from a friend which I believe to be Richard Wallace, and they did great last year and I did not really see any bugs but yesterday I was looking at all the buds getting ready to open and saw a bunch of leaves all rolled up so I cut them all off not sure what to do. The only ones that seem to have the problem is the ones I have growing at the top of my pond so I was afraid to use anything afraid the residue may end up in the pond and hurt my fish..So what do you suggest I use?

Vickie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.