Can I do this in Zone 9a ?

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

I had terrible luck with seeds indoors, self watering flats under lights this year. Mold central. I think I ended up with four plants. I also never am sure when to start anything and probably tend to wait too late. Our winters are dry and mild but we can get a brief freeze. Should I try to winter sow? Could I use my planting trays with lids?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Sure, you can winter sow. The months that qualify as "winter" may have temps that vary all across the country, but it's winter nevertheless. You might have to "tweak" the method to suit your particular climate, but it will work.

If your planting trays can hold at least 3 inches of soil, you can use them. If they hold less, you can still use them, but you'd just have to watch them a bit more closely, to prevent them from drying out.

Check out this link - it'll give you an idea of what you can sow in your area.:

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/wtrsow/2002074212002118.html

You could give summer or fall sowing a shot - for practice.

Hope you'll join the crowd this coming winter.......

PV

Thanks PVick for the link - I may try some coneflower outside this winter.

San Jose, CA

I'm in Zone 9a and did winter sowing this year. I started some seeds just after Christmas. These sprouted too early with some mild Christmastime temps. However, I tried again towards the third week in January and I had really good success. I'd say about 85% of the things I tried germinated. I'm definitely going to try again next year, but will wait until towards the end of January before I start.

It was definitely easier and less messy than trying to start everything inside. And, the plants are all very healthy.

Thanks lilystorm. My guess is that time period would be about right for this climate. Our "winter" is a few weeks in Jan/Feb. I wont miss the indoor mess and mold.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.