New to board and hello

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7a)

I just wanted to post an introduction and say "hello". I recognize a few folks who post here from Garden Web's lily board, on which I usually post my lily-related questions. Glad to have come across this site as well, as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

I live in Raleigh, NC, and have become addicted to lilies over the past year. Although we have a large yard, we have lots of old oaks and maples and finding an appropriately sunny area is difficult. Currently, I have one large bed behind our house where all of my lilies are planted. Last year I planted an Oriental lily "mix" I bought from White Flower Farms (about 13 bulbs), and then two other varieties I ordered from a Dutch bulb website. All of the bulbs I put down came up (about 17, I believe); unfortunately, the deer ate all but four of my plants pretty close to the ground. I purchased a "Scarecrow" motion-activated sprinkler, and that seems to have kept the deer at bay this year. All of my lilies from last year came up, plus I put in an additional 15 bulbs or so.

I know many of you all love the Asiatics--I am crazy about the Orientals, and also love some of the Orienpets and species. I've enjoyed looking at everyone's photos and reading comments. I hope come July and August I'll have some photos to post of my own! I have a few pics from last year I may try to post sometime.

Looking forward to reading comments and posts and seeing everyone's lilies coming along this Summer!

Bethany

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Welcome Bethany.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Welcome aboard. Not quite a barky but the crew all get on well with each other.

Our lily season hasn't quite started up here but ......... won't be long.

Inanda

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Welcome Bethany. I have a couple of early Asiatics in bloom now. Your chewed down lilies should return next year. I plan to shop and hopefully purchase a digital camera this weekend. Bring on the lily season!

(Zone 6a)

Welcome to DG Bethany!
I also love the orientals AND their fragrance.
I have an early asiatic coming into bud. Actualy alot of my lilies were just planted this year and seem to be setting buds now, even though they're not even 2' tall! Should I pinch these bud off to avoid stressing?
Once again welcome, and looking forward to seeing you on the boards!

Steve

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Keep your buds and enjoy your lilies, Steve.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Steve, the first year, lilies don't come into their mature height. Those 2 footers will probably be 3 or 4 next year. Also, lilies don't reset buds. There's just one shot a year, so never remove the buds.

OOPS, forgot to say welcome.

Welcome, Bethany!

(Zone 6a)

Thanks B and P for your help! Wasn't sure about that.
I will keep the buds.

Steve

Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

Welcome Bethany! Orientals are my favorites too but I do have some trumpets & LA's. Please do post your pictures.
Kelly

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Steve, the bulbs I planted last Spring (2005) only grew to about 2' last year (the ones that didn't get eaten by deer), but this year they are much taller, with one over 5' and covered with buds. The bulbs that I planted this past April are all around 18-24", and have buds. I'm just trying to keep the Aphids & such off now (I use a soapy solution), and hope the little buds on them continue to grow.

Bethany

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Bethany. I appreciate the reassurance. Some of my bulbs planted this year, the trumpets I think, are very short (6"-10") and scrawny, with tiny leaves. Has this happened to anyone too?

Steve

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have a Midnight trumpet (1bulb) that put out 3 spindly stems last year and 4 this year. Only one bud on one stem but it's looking better than last year.

Welcome, Bethany, we're glad to have you. I like all lilies but Orientals are my first love.

(Zone 6a)

Ok, so maybe this is just something trumpets do? I've never grown them before so I don't know. But it sounds right!

Steve

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Welcome BLC - and I would love to see your photos when they bloom. I like looking at how different lilies perform for people in different parets of the country, the different bloom times, etc. I have to say Orientals are not a good choice for me - most do not like the heat and they just aren't good long-term performers in my area. I will say LeReve is an exception and I have a bunch of them that come back year after year - but they bloom very early.

The Orienpets and Asiatics are the best bets for me. Trumpets do well for me too, but they're not my favorites, as I like the more open flowers.

Good luck and happy blooming!

Steve

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Not sure ~ I don't have a lot of experience with Trumpets, and what little I do have has been in just the last 2 years.

(Zone 6a)

Same here, I've only been growing lilies for a few years now.

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Sounds like if you're getting multiple stems from one bulb your bulb is dividing. Usually one standalone bulb will produce one stem unless it's starting to split into smaller bulbs. When these mature you'll get bigger stems with more flowers.

(Zone 6a)

Yes, I do have multiple stems! That must be it!
Thanks Steve.

Steve

If I recall, I haven't had any real short trumpets year one. I do have a really short Martagon that I wish would get taller.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Welcome Bethany! Orientals are my favorites too, but I don't seem to be very good at growing them. hey always die after a few years. I'm finding the Orienpets do better for me and are really pretty too. Hope you share lots of photos with us as yours bloom.

Susan

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

welcome, BLC--

So happy to have you posting here. And interesting to here about your motion sensitive sprinkler. I have wondered whether they work or not.

I'm sort of a newbie with lilies and I look forward to seeing your pics later in the season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.