Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

I am very new at this - planted a bunch of Lilies - they're finally coming up - but I found a bunch of lady bugs on them - most of the lilies have half eaten leaves. Shall I kill the lady bugs or leave them on the leaves. Are they eating mites or... Thanks

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

Lady Bugs eat aphids and are generally a good thing in your garden. If you have aphids, I would spray for those as they can carry and spread Tulip Breaking Virus to lilies.

Poland, ME

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you have the dreaded Red Lily Beetle which has invaded New England. Spray them! Squash them and kill them or they will eat them all up!

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks - I thought so - I checked and checked and could not find any aphids but lady bugs, RED LADY BUGS. I will kill them all. TRUST ME. THANKS

Rose

Is there a difference between Lady Bugs and the Red Lily Beetle? Shouldn't you make sure you're killing the right one? I've always heard that Lady Bugs are beneficial to a garden.

Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

Ladybugs are beneficial. Their bodies are round and red with black spots. Keep them.

Lily beetles are pests and are red with NO spots and their bodies are shovel shaped. Kill them.
Kelly

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here is a pic of the lily beetle http://www.canr.uconn.edu/garden/hotissues/RedLilyBeetles.html

I don't have anything like that in my garden, but I hear they are spreading westward.

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

That's them - once they're are on a lily - the lily stems just turn brown and die - I will kill them all. I can't believe this.
Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.