Worth the wait!

london, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

From seeds sown in 2002, I have finally (yesterday!) got some lovely blooms from this lily. It's Lilium sachalinense - from Sakhalin island (a Russian island north of Japan): seed collected by an intrepid plant hunter in early 2002. Well worth the effort!

Thumbnail by Mike_G

Here's a close-up.

Thumbnail by Mike_G
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's gorgeous ~ I love the subtle coloring. What a prize to have in your garden.

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

That is gorgeous. Do you know its hardiness rating?

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Very nice, Mike - the flower in the side-view picture almost looks tulip-like.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

I'm a sucker for the species lilies. Most excellent, Mike! Somewhat similar to our native Wood lily (Lilium philadelphicum). Beaker, did you see the itsy bitsy seedlings offered at the Friends sale? I got some. Kandiyohi County genotype too!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

All they had left when I went through was a few Asiatics. I sure would like to try this one. I went looking online and found a few pictures, but none as nice as the one in this thread.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Your patience really paided off! Wonderful, unusual coloring.

Susan

Thanks for your kind comments, and for indulging me!

Beaker - they've been on the patio for 4 winters, so with the bit of shelter that gives it would have been down to freezing or a few degrees below. Sakhalin is quite far north, so I should think it's pretty hardy.

I saw this morning that another three flowers have opened!

Mike

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh my, love the coloration to this lily.
Your patientence is to be commended!!

I have lots of extra lily seedlings coming from scaling lilies this past yr. and spring.

Maxine

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

In Minnesota z4a, there are many plants native to Sakhalin that survive here. But some do not. However also to take into consideration is that many of these same species also grow on the mainland, where it might get much colder. These might still have the Sakhalin (and spelling derivatives) epithet in their nomenclature, yet be more cold hardy than the same species found on Sakhalin. I haven't a clue about this lily though. It seems there aren't any members in our Minnesota Northstar Lily Society that are big on species - except me.

Interesting in that my nephew (from here) has been living in a fishing village on the west coast of Hokaido, the major northern island of Japan. He says our winters are much the same, but on Hokaido they get more snow, and only 10 degree warmer winters.

Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

They say good things come to those who wait and this is clearly true for you, Mike. What a beautiful lily! Your patience and care were very well rewarded.
Kelly

(Zone 6a)

Wow, very nice Mike! If you have any of your patience left, please mail it to me! I'll need it as I'm planning on growing lilies from seed :)

Steve

Thanks again, all.

Steve - I'll try to transmit some of the patience, but you may have to wait... :-)

Looks like all the blooms now want a piece of the action - this is from this morning:

Thumbnail by Mike_G
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, my! that last picture is gorgeous. (and the others are lovely, too, of course!) and congratulations on growing them from seed!

Sayre, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL Mike. I want some patience and I want it NOW! ;o)
Your Lilium sachalinense just keep getting better. They are really breathtaking in a group.

Sorry everyone, but I've been ill and I'm just getting caught up on the Lily news.

Kelly in OK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.