Conifers for shade

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Are there any other conifers which do well in shade, other than Hemlocks, yews and Norway Spruces? Thanks :)
Trish

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Trish wish I could help! I may need to know the answer to this also!

This message was edited Friday, Aug 17th 1:52 AM

There aren't many. Some will look good for a few years but then start looking skimpy if there isn't enough light. I don't recommend Alberta Spruce for shade, they definately need sun to look good long term. There is an evergreen called microbiota that is shade tolerant but it is more of a ground cover than anything else. On the other hand, there many broadleaf evergreens that thrive in the shade.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Jerseyguy...I think I'll stick with the Norway Spruces :)
Trish

How could I forget yews! There are many different varieties, large and small and they take a fair amount of shade.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Jerseyguy you are so right!! Which one grows the fastest, do you know?

They both grow fairly rapidly, of course the end result quite different. Norway spruces are much taller and massive and I don't recommend planting them anywhere near the house, they just get too big. Norway spruces are not really shade plants, they may grow in shade but they won't thrive, there's a difference. All spruces are sun loving trees, too much shade and they grow weak and sparse.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Jerseyguy - I'm talking about the yews!! Sorry - I should have said :-)

OOPS! The upright varieties are probably the fastest growers (Hicksii is just one of many) as opposed to the ones that stay short and dense.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.