Can anyone ID some fruit trees for me???

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I posted some pictures over on the identifying forum. This is maybe where I should have posted them. We just moved onto this property and there are mature fruit trees. I am trying figure out the varieties I have. Here is a cherry tree that we have. It is starting to ripen, but when I tasted the red cherries (they are not dark like a bing cherry) they were not sweet. Does anyone know if this is a sour cherry tree? Thanks! Dawn

Thumbnail by Dawnie2U
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Sour cherries will be small 12-15 ft trees. Ther are dwarf versions of sweet cherries but most older trees will be shade tree size. All sour cherries will have sweet/acid flavor. Sweet cherries are just sweet. There are red, black, and yellow cultivars.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is a picture of the tree itself. Can you tell by looking at this one? Thanks! Dawn

Thumbnail by Dawnie2U
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not really, but it is a normal size and shape for a sour cherry. Most sweet cherries are tall up right trees, but the dwarf versions somewhat confuse the issue. Like I said if the fruit has a bite or tang to it it is a sour (pie) cherry. Actually I prefer to eat the sour cherries, lots more flavor.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.