Sowing questions

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

I know its kind of late and all of you have finished with winter sowing but i need advice on sowing. I joined DG couple of weeks ago and very impressed with all the foroums and articles and the helpful people. After reading few articles I was motivated to make some container pots and sow seeds.

2 weeks ago i sowed some sweetpeas and cardinal climbers and oriantel grass as experiment. I followed the instruction on the packet. Sweetpeas and cardinal climber are in the peat container and grass outside in the bed. Quite a few of them have germinated.

Sweetpeas are about about 4 inches long and have small buds at the tip. Cardinal climber are about 6 to 8 inches tall and have two wing like leaves at the end.

My question is when do I sow the SP and CC outside. Are the completely converted into a sapling or small plant. The tall stem of the germinated seeds are falling ,is that okay.?

This is my first time with sowing and quite coinfused not knowing where the different phases begin and end.

experementing Tweety thanks everyone for all the information and guidence.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't help with the questions but I can say this... sweet peas are one of my favorite climbers. I have had 2 for 2 yrs now. They are slow to do alot of growing the first year but after that they seem to take off. I also planted cardinal flowers the other day and hope they grow.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Tweety, They are big enough to go outside. Really the question is, is it warm enough to go outside? The last date for that where I live is May 15. It would be earlier for you.(Probably even earlier still for sweet peas they are considered half-hardy or hardy annuals vs tender annuals)
Prior to planting them outside, you should "harden them off". This is a process of bringing them outside for increasing periods of time in a shady spot to gradually get them use to the sun, the breeze, temperature fluctuations, etc.(This "hardening off" is not needed when you winter sow) Once you put plant them out, after your last frost date (they really can be any size) you need to be gentle and keep them watered often when they are babies.
I hope this helps.
Dave

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Dave47,

Like always you are a great help...:):)

When i sowed them 2 weeks ago i kept them in darkness covered with newspaper. brought them out this weekend and placed them infront of the West facing windows inside the house.

Just that now, I notice that the stems are falling and that concerns me. The last frost day is supposed to be April 1st thru April 30 th in my zone so i guess I am way past the danger days.

Guess i will start hardening them as you suggest for few hrs every day starting tomorrow and maybe plant them in soil this weekend when I am off.

Tweety

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Dave

I took them out to the patio today . I have placed them in a corner ,shady area and covered them with plastic so that sun rays do not hit them direct. Hope I am not hurrying them outside. The temp is 90 out here in VA.

Tweety

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

careful with plastic - it can increase the heat immensly - just like a green house. You don't want to cook your babies! I did that by mistake last year to a bunch of basil cuttings. Smelled good - looked horrible!

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Anita, removed the plastic and used the good old newspaper.The babies survived the night yeeeeah. the stems are straight and the leaves still spread like wings. Now to see hoe the day treats them.

This is more fun then I realised. and most importantly its the feeling of "my babies".

Thanks a bunch

exited new mum Tweety

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Tweety, I'm glad Anita took care of you because I had misplaced this thread. I'm glad your babies are looking better!
Dave

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dave.

I planted the ones with 2 sets of leaves today . Kind of worried 'cause some of the stems leaned forward and backward. Hoping they will stand straight by tomorrow.

Is it to late to sow some more seeds.?Like Lupins ,Larkspur.

Tweety

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I would think you would be direct sowing outside at this point,

The Lupine I'm looking at germinates in about 21 days

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Tweety, Lupine and a lot of perenials would be good to sow now through August to flower next year.
Annual larkspur, I don't know if it would have enough time. It may, I just don't know how long to flowering.
Dave

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Next Year....Oh my that is more than 9 months...lol

Anita which kind of seeds are you looking at, are thoes for this year flowering or next year aswell. Annuals or what?

what would you all advice for fall this year since I did start very very late.

hummm start now for next year , thats a thought I better start planning.

Happy sunday...:):):)

Tweety

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

as for wintersowing - I would plan now; save containers and seeds; for winter 2007. I'm no expert by any means, but I think Dave is right. Any perennials seeds you plant now will probably be for flowering next year.

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow.

Are there any good sites I can read about winter sowing to get some indepth information hows and whats.

Guess I will have a better blooming flowers next year.

BTW , the sweetpeas are growing healthy. I made a cotton thread support system for them along the fence. Cant wait till they bloom. As for CC well they are slow and have not grown since i transplanted. I just keep giving them TLC, and waiting.

Thanks for all your advice and talking to me,It sure encourages me and makes me feel confident that I am on right track.

Keep smiling :):)

Tweety

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Tweety, Here you go.
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/
http://www.wintersown.org/

Centreville, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks Dave, Excellent sites they answer most of my questions and I dont have to bug everyone with silly Q's.

Keep smiling :):) Tweety

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Your welcome Tweety!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.