Second MO DG RU for '06 will be Sept. 16th

Now that's a positive gardener attitude!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

You will do great, but the most important thing is to have fun.... so enjoy! We are rooting for ya!

I make no guarantees, but I do approve this message: I plan to bring iris, and cuttings of various climbers and danglers.... whatever I can get my hands on.... anyone have any interest in pregnant onion? I have enough for anyone wants it. As far as food, I thought I would wait and see what is needed and fill in the gaps. Was a separate food thread started?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Not yet, but it has been suggested so I think I'll do that right now. Also plant swap/giveaway and directions threads.

I so hope you can come.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

OK here are the links to the other threads:

Directions: www.davesgarden.com/forums/t/647031

Plant Swap: www.davesgarden.com/t/647028

Food: www.davesgarden.com/forums/t/647027

Door Prize: www.davesgarden.com/forums/t/647034

Edited to add another link: this the main thread that is showing in the Round Up Forum:

www.davesgarden.com/forums/t/609289

We gots lots of threads... take your pick and post... but just come and have a good time at the MO RU on the 16th of this month.... :)

This message was edited Sep 5, 2006 10:23 AM

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

bump.... it is getting close.... Is everyone ready? I haven't begun to get ready... I am still trying to get cuttings to root... lol...

Photo of my helpers: Emma, Laci, and Buster (Mandy is just out of camera shot)

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I am almost ready. Gave up on the idea of getting cuttings to root. Not enough time. Just have to dig up all my irises this week and go by my grandma's and get her plants. Next year I should have a wider selection. Also got to get the stuff for the pudding cake and have that made on Friday after work. Whew!! Too early for me to be thinking. lol

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I know what all of you mean. I have the mimosas potted up for Starr, the label &stakes done, the peacock feathers tho they need to be made into bundles of a few each, and the water crystals bagged. I need to get the ham bought and sliced and I don't want to freeze it or have it setting in the 'fridge for several days. I may get that done early Sat. morning. The store isn't far from the park.

I'm going to town this afternoon to get an inspection &

license the van, take the 2 kittens to the shelter because I never really wanted them in the first place when they were dumped on us and they refuse to use a litter box, go to the book store, and I'm not sure what else. I have to go to the bank and get a $100 bill exchanged or broken into smaller bills. It has a very nasty saying on it and we didn't know it when they gave it to us. We first saw it when Jack gave it to me to give to the church. No way I am passing that thing on. It goes right back to the bank!!

I have some rather unpleasant news. I need to work Saturday evening because 2 of the owners are going to be gone as well as one other employee. That will leave a staff of 2(one daughter and her husband)to do everything. No way it can happen. So I need to leave the RU by 3. I hate it but it has to be. Hopefully we can have all the doorprizes, swapping, etc. done. I'm sure lunch will be over by then.

Does anyone want chicken or hamburger on a grill? I can either bring ground venison, a whole chicken or a bag of leg quarters. Or does someone else want to pick up the hamburger and chicken in some form? I have a brand new Brinkman smoker grill that I can bring for us to use. It really doesn't take long to cook meat on it.

I must get going. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Chicken sounds good. I will still be there around 9 or so to help you set up. As far as I know I am not bringing anybody. As for plants there will be irises if I ever get around to digging them up and whatever my grandma gives me to bring. Also have a bag of bulbs from the compost pile at PG but don't have a clue what they are.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I may be able to identify the bulbs. I have some ice blue iris to bring. We just had too many so I divided the clump. No success at the book store.
all those books, what few their there were,are quite high priced and perhaps work what they are asking, but still rather pricey.

I'm going to sleep. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I wont make it to RU this time cause my niece's birthday on Saturday. Sorry hope it will be good next year. Hope all of peoples have good time.

Anna

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Reminder notices have been sent to those within about 50 miles of my home. Hopefully that will generate renewed interest in the local members anyway. Of course anyone who is a member of DG in all the state of MO and any other state is welcome. Even if they just stop in for a cup of coffe, etc. it would be great.

LineAce, fsstarr, you have d-mail. LOL

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes!!!! I am packing up some stuff and starting to get ready...

Leaflady, I will return your fold-up chair! Last year your ds left it behind and I took custody of it cause I lived the closest to you ... do you remember all that? I did not forget... and have kept the chair safe since then. Soooo guess it will finally come home this Saturday...

Here is a pic of the MO RU 2005...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

And I have something in a bottle for you that I keep forgetting to get mailed. Since we seldom use those chairs unless there is a family function we haven't missed the chair too much.

I have started packing stuff too. Mostly potting up the plants I'm bringing and getting the door prizes together. I have at least 6 door prizes, maybe more. Some just fun stuff, some useful I' m going to buy the ham Sat. morning and have it shaved and sliced. About 1/2 each of a rolled turkey ham. Maybe 2 of them if the price is right that day. Sometimes the store we go to has really good sales on meat items. I'm bringing the smoker and ground venison.

GOD bless and keep each and all of you. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone Saturday.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I have door prizes, too, and a some fun stuff.... I have not seen the shelter yet at Liberty Park... Is there electric at this sight? I cannot remember...

Oh, I meant to check weather at weatherunderground.com .... I will do that and see what we have coming up for this weekend... hopefully it will shape up as cool and nice as it was today... It was just gorgeous here, today...

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

I was just looking at the pictures of our 2005 RU.. and decided to share the fun with you again...

Here is the link .... http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/518171/

What Fun!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the pictures. I think there is electricty. I am sure I remember a coffee pot and electric grill being used. My how short my memory is about some things. Like turning off the burner under a pan a bit ago. Jack found it.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Well i hope you all have a nice time. I would have been up but I registared and paid for this tournament way back early last spring so I have to be there.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Ozarkian, We wish you could come, maybe you will come next year :) ...

Here are a few plants that I am bringing... (just a shameless technique to attract folks to come)...

rooted cuttings: pothos, silver squill, pg onion, 3 kinds of wandering jew, morning glory, clematis if there is interest... still working on the coleus to root...

also: hosta, iris, 3 lil oak trees (maybe more if there is interest), etc

I will also post in the plant thread...

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

FSRSTARR------ I will be there in the spring I am pretty sure. I am a St Louis transplant. Having come to the lake by way of Maryland Heighta and South St Charles ( weldon springs area). I still have a son up there and we do a lot of garden shopping at Wine Country Gardens out in Defiance. I also come thru there for a couple of horseshoe tournaments every year out in New Melle.

You mentioned Hosta. What kind??? Maybe we could set up a few tradesI currently have 91 species.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2006 7:51 AM

This message was edited Sep 14, 2006 12:42 PM

I can probably find room for another clematis, already have 2 kinds of wandering jew and my grandma has 3, love hosta and irises, especially if the irises are not purple, will probably want a couple oak trees but won't know til tonight, pothos and silver squill also sound good. I will post a complete list of what I'm bringing tonight. Have to pick up the plants plants tonight. Know I am bringing irises that are I think a deep purple and another is white and dark purple and smells like grapes.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Starr, what names/colors are the clematis? If not red or lavender with darker stripes on the veins I would like one if you have enough for more than Pepper23.

You will love Pepper23. She is so full of energy. Maybe she will figure out how to give us some of it. She certainly is inspiring so say the least.

Pepper, don't forget to go thru the compost piles at PG tonight and Friday night for plants to swap. Even go to the head house and ask for the dirt( I think they call it the compost can) and go thru it. Lots of times there are nice finds there. I have gotten several butterfly bush & mum starts there. I just now left a message on your voice mail about it.

I'm already packing the van as I remember things. Of course plants can't go in yet.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Just wanted to tell everyone I'll be thinking about you this weekend. I can't make the ru, this time. :( Enjoy!

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Sorry you can't make it, AuntB, you will be missed...

I am not sure of the color of the clematis... I will check on that and let you know...

Is anyone out there coming in on Friday afternoon or evening? I am trying to decide if I am coming in Friday or making that very long journey Saturday am... I am about 3 hours away... so that is a very trip to make it in the morning by 9am...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Starr, I have a spare bed you are welcome to sleep in Friday night. I won't get home from work til about 10, but Jack will be home. I need to pack the van Friday night and maybe go get some gas in Marshall. We usually burn E85 but may not be able to do all E85 this weekend. Let me know so I can have it ready for you if you want to stay here.

EvaMae

am bringing a friend after all. She said she could make it. See ya'll tomorrow!!

Had a great time today!! Got home about 5:30 or so with no problems. Glad I got to meet some of you guys.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

It was a great round up. Lots of good food, fellowship, and fun. Friends that I made last year and new friends that I met this year! I got home about 9pm but had to drop off dd along the way. I was really glad that she was able to go with me.

Don't let Leaflady fool ya... she can flat grill some chicken!!! And I am not sure who made some of the heavenly concoctions that we had, but amongst others, I was real impressed with the apple crisp dessert and also the brownies cake... these gardeners can cook.... I missed out on the cookies but dd said they were great.

Everyone outdid themselves on the door prizes and we all got to pick twice.... what fun stuff we had there....

And then of course there was the plant swap.... we did the swap after lunch... kind of slowed us down a bit, I think, but wow... there was sooo many different kinds of plants and everyone left with a lot more than they brought.... I know I did...

The best part was just being with friends.... some old friends, and some new friends... but everyone that came was a breath of fresh air, and we thoroughly enjoyed each and every one that came.

I am tired and will soon be ready for bed... so I will download the pictures tomorrow...

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful day!

Starr

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you for the compliment on the chicken. I got the smoker/grill for my birthday a few weeks ago. We had one years ago and I loved it. It smokes and grills at the same time.

One of the highlights at the very end was when I dumped the hot coals into a barrel that I thought had the least stuff in it. I took out the paper bag that I saw in there. Anyway, the coals were hot enough to catch the plastic bottles, etc. on fire so some of the folks got to play firefighter. EddieGirl use the large bag I had pulled out to put the dirty grill from the smoker into so it wouldn't get my van greasy. So thoughtful of you, thanks, Eddie.

Pepper23 made the brownies and lineace made the applecrisp. All the food was so good. Our granddaughter Cindy made the wonderful cookies. Yummy. Those are one of my favorite kinds and I ate way too many.

We didn't set a date for the spring one, but everyone please start thinking ahead so we can get that done soon. That way folks can get the date on the calender and plan around it. I'm thinking maybe in April sometime? That way we stay away from Memorial Day and high school and college graduations, summer vacations, etc. I know there is no such thing as a perfect date when there is nothing going on in anyone's life, but we can try. Let me know when you think of dates and I'll get it noted in the RU forum and posted in the Central Midwest Gardening forum.

I came home with some iris starts that I am looking forward to growing out to bloom size and some house plants. I have the squill from Starr already in a clay pot in a glass fish bowl with mostly pale grey/white aquarium gravel all around in on top of the soil. It looks as tho the plants are planted in the gravel. I haven't had any squill for a few years. Not since the mealy bugs caused me to close down the plant room permenantly. I also have some new baby Peace Lilies. Haven't had any of those for a long time either. 2 new hosta, one is totally new, one is a labeled one that I may already have but never had a label for. I think most of my new plants came from Starr. I am so glad I didn't have to bring home anything I took.

The bag of bulbs from Powell Gardens that Pepper23 brought are probably Ornithogalum Saundersiae. Also known as Ivory Coast Lily or Togi. Closely related to chincherinchees, they are not hardy in zone 5 so don't bother to plant them this fall except maybe in pots. I think they probably need a dormant period to rest up for next year. We need to post a query in one of the appropriate forums and ask. Surely someone in the vast DG family will know. I got some a couple years ago from up there and really like them. I didn't know what they were either when I got them. I could be wrong about what they are. They do multiply rapidly so that would explain why they have so many to get rid of each fall.

Another highlight for me was getting to meet local DGer who it turns out is a grade school thru most of high school friend. She and her husband showed up at a church Jack and I attended about 8 years ago. We hadn't seen each other since high school. Then Jack and I left the church and we lost touch again. I was so suprised to see her yesterday. Now I can keep in touch. She has been sort of following me in Healthy Living Weight Loss and figured out that leaflady was probably me.

I made it to work on time too. It was a slow night, but the last customer didn't leave until nearly 9. Then I had to go to Marshall to get E85 for the van and to WalMart for cat/dog food. Got home very late. Jack was asleep already. I went right to bed after taking care of all the animals. I am taking my day of rest for sure.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for posting.. I thought about the ru all weekend... Sounds as though a GREAT time was had by all. Funny what a small world we live in, Leaflady. Too bad you had to work... I will definately make the spring ru. I already have a few things in mind for the swap and doorprizes. Can hardly wait to see pics, once everyone has time to post. -AuntB

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

I glad to hear that everyone a great time just wish i could have made it I too was thinking about ya'll all day sat. but the heat just had to come back on the wrong day didn't finally give up going till about 10:15 fri. night after the weather and they were saying it could get to 94 or 95 it did make it to 93 here the rabbits are just starting to recover from the heat this summer of corse their slave is in about the same condition hope to see everyone in the spring I vote for april 28th or may 5 for the spring round up
Dave719

I like those dates. So far they work for me. AuntB, the only person who remembered to take pics was Starr!! The rest of us forgot to! I brought 2 cameras and left both in the truck. Oh well. lol.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dave, thanks for the date vote. The April 28th sounds good to me. Once we get into May all kinds of school activity windups begin to happen. As well as kids having to study extra for finals, etc.

We really missed you. I didn't realize it had gotten that hot until I came home to check on Jack and show Pepper23 & Tammy where to dig the plants. We have one of those SkyScan clock, indoor/outdoor thermometer units. Our sensor is on the east side of the house. There were lots of nice gusts of wind in Sedalia. Especially when the Air Flight heliocopter landed and took off just about 25' from our shelterhouse. :>)

That was awesome too!! Can't fly but man do I like to watch planes and helis!!! That's the closest I've been to a heli that was landing/taking off since my wreck almost years ago and that don't really count since I don't remember much of it.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I am sorry that I could not make it, I feel guilty that I said that I would and it did not turn out that way... :-( Still not feeling 100% - I feel very tired and cold all of the time........... I am glad that everyone had fun though and there is always next time............ I missed seeing you all.

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

We missed those of you who could not be with us.... We had a great time....

April 28th sounds good to me.... We need to plan a garden tour/ attraction nearby...

Ok pictures are in order.... I had a hard time with the lack of light under the shelter... so bear with me... some of the pictures I took refused to lighten up...

Here is Leaflady and I do not know what she is doing... but she sure is intent.... ;)

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

hmmm, the picture did not show up... I will try again...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper23 (Amanda) in the foreground and Tammy in the background looking at plants....

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

fsrstarr (Starr) and lineace (Marilyn) ... I do not remember what we were laughing at...

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Lots and lots of plants were brought.... in the background is Pepper23 and Eddiegirl.... I am not sure where the rest of everyone was at this time... :))

Thumbnail by fsrstarr
Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Eddiegirl (Edwiena), lineace (Marilyn), and Tammy .....

Thumbnail by fsrstarr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.