Second MO DG RU for '06 will be Sept. 16th

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Same place, Liberty Park, Sedalia, MO. I cleared this with administration so we know it is ok. Fall will be a perfect time for transplanting perennials and by then most annuals have produced seed. I don't see any holidays on that weekend so we should be able to get a good crowd together. We have all summer to plan for it.

I already have some ice blue iris that I'll save for it in pots. I dug them out last night as I am redoing that bed. Will have lots of stuff by then I'm sure.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Count me in!!! I will gather lots of plants to bring in too.

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Leaflady---- I was wondering if anyone showed up and could not find us. I might be up there in September it is hardv to say that is a ways down the line.

anyone post any pictures from the last one???

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I wondered the same thing about the vehicles that pulled up but then turned around and left. I'll get a sign made for the next one. However, there are about 6 members who live right in Sedalia and at least that many in Marshall as well as some in Smithton and another one from Hughesville. And Starr gave precise maps on the first RU forum so there really is no reason for people to not find us. I told anyone from different towns exactly how to find it too if they dmailed me showing interest.

No pictures that I know of. I hope you can be there.

Some people might not have been sure that they were at the right place. A sign or two might help. That way when they see the sign thye know for a fact they are in the right spot.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I plan on coming. Do not know what I will bring yet. :)

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

I do need to get some pics downloaded don't I... ?

I'll put the date on my calendar.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't think I will attempt to contact every member/subscriber listed on the membership list this time. So if some of you would like to take a page of just members and do a copy and paste message to all of those people it would be greatly appreciated. There are about 22 pages with about100 people on each page. I sent out over 2,100 notices last time and now they are all stuck on my dmail account. I am getting them into a folder slowly but surely. I will attempt to look up the ones in the Sedalia, Marshall, Smithon areas and notify them.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I secured the same shelter house for the 16th of Sept. All day reservation so we can do breadfast, lunch & supper. I pray for guidance to do better than I did last time. I'll make or get some signs made. I will bug the Sedalia and Marshall folks about attending this time. And do hope all the old ones from last time will be there. Does anyone else want to volunteer to be respossibile for food, attendence and notices sent our, plant swap and give awas, If not, I'll do it but a sure hoping for help. I think polish sausage or smoked sausage would be gread as would have hamburgers on the grill. I'll bring the gas grill. It is a nice big one. Of course so would chicken. So we can start signing up for meats. salads, fruit desserts, breads.,condiments,ts, table clothers< nappkins< silverware iT IS NEVER TOO SOON TO PLANT THESE EVENTS. Who wants to voluteer for what? I'll see that the shelter is cleaned and ready for us to us to start arriving a getting strarted with the morning meal. I hope CooKoo amd Dave 719 will take over breackfast./ O.m gong to sleep so will post.later. GOD bless and keep each of you.

leaflady

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I secured the same shelter house for the 16th of Sept. All day reservation so we can do breadfast, lunch & supper. I pray for guidance to do better than I did last time. I'll make or get some signs made. I will bug the Sedalia and Marshall folks about attending this time. And do hope all the old ones from last time will be there. Does anyone else want to volunteer to be respossibile for food, attendence and notices sent our, plant swap and give awas, If not, I'll do it but a sure hoping for help. I think polish sausage or smoked sausage would be great as would have hamburgers on the grill. I'll bring the gas grill. It is a nice big one. Of course so would chicken. So we can start signing up for meats. salads, fruit desserts, breads.,condiments,ts, table clothers< nappkins< silverware iT IS NEVER TOO SOON TO PLANT THESE EVENTS. Who wants to voluteer for what? I'll see that the shelter is cleaned and ready for us to us to start arriving a getting strarted with the morning meal. I hope CooKoo amd Dave 719 will take over breackfast./ O.m gong to sleep so will post.later. GOD bless and keep each of you.

leaflady

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Bringing this to the top as a reminder. Members can't see the RoundUp forum so I am posting about it here too. You don't even have to live in MO to come.

Still planning on coming. Bringing plants to swap but don't know about food yet. Will see about that when it gets closer.

We will try6 but not a bit sure we have a full month of stuff in September. and we might have to take a trip back to my daughters in ohio

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm bring this back to the top in an effort to generate more interest in this event. I'll dmail the members & subscribers in the local area and urge them to attend. Hopefully those living farther away will see it and plan to attend also. We only have about 5 weeks I think. The shelter is reserved already. I'll try to get a sign made this time so if someone drives up and isn't sure what is going on in that shelter they will be able to figure it out. Also so those looking for it will be able to find it. Tho I never heard from a single person who said they came to the park and couldn't find us last time.

Cuckoo & Dave, are either or both of you going to be able to attend this time? I was wondering who was going to do the grilling. Cuckoo did a great job last time and Dave was a good helper. Do we want to do breakfast again? Or just lunch and maybe supper? Hopefully it will be nice and cool but not cold that day.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

If the temperture ever go down I'm planing on it this heat has the barns all mess up and it is telling me i'm not a spring chicken

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dave, I understand what you mean about the heat reminding you of your age. I have never been bothered by the heat like I have the past 2 summers. And I have never been able to prespire until last summer so it makes no sense whatsoever. Before I had headaches but that was from dehydration and as soon as a doctor pointed that out to me and I got a water filter most of them went away. Now I still drink lots of water, prespire a lot, and can't take the heat. It must be age.

Nah, it's just gardening syndrome!! LOL. You sound like all the gardeners at PG. I will be there at the RU with plants to swap and I might bring a dessert. Thinking about pudding cake. It's chocolate cake with chocolate pudding instead of icing. Very good!! My brothers go nuts every time I make it. lol. I will see everyone who shows then!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I ask question:
How far from my place to there?

I'm from California to Missouri last month.

Anna

It will take a little over 3 hours to get there depending on traffic and how fast you drive.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Welcome to Missouri, Anna. I'm sure you will find lots of differences in the lifestyles, soil and growing conditions, weather, etc. Checking a map to see your best route it looks to me like you could go up 71 to where it joins Rt. 7, then take 7 over to Rt. 50 and 50 straight into Sedalia. From the junction of 50 and 65, turn left(north)and go to the first stop lights. Turn right(east)onto 3rd stree, go to the park's main entrance-about 6 blocks-and turn in. Follow the road to the sign on the shelter. It will be right across the street from the large brick building. Hope to see you there.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I went into the membership list this evening and sent out a few dozen or so notices. Only to people who live fairly close to Sedalia tho so if any of you live in a well DG populated area like Columbia, K.C, etc. and want to help out feel free to send out as many letters as you wish. I notified about 2,000 people for the one in June and don't feel I want to tackle that size task again.
This is NOT just for subscribers which is exactly why I went to the membership list. There are only 120 subscribers in MO but 2,400 + members. Gee, can anyone imagine what it would be like if all the members/subscribers and their families showed up? LOL Our park would be wall to wall people. But we could handle a hundred or so easily. Now whether or not I am prepared to supervise something of that size is another question. I don't think I did a very good job in June. I really wasn't prepared to be in charge. Anyone who wants to take on the responsibility of organizing the foods, door prizes, etc. please feel free to step in and speak up.

I hope to see lots of you there.

Leaflady----- My daughter will be here from ohio that week and I have a horseshoe tournament that day at the Hillbilly Fair in Laurie Mo. so I will not make it. I won 4 ribbons at the state fair flower show for our Huechera(coral bells) but they sure have a lot of confusion at that show. A lot more than i think they should have.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Congraulations on the wins, Oz. That's great. I understand about family coming first. With her living so far away you probably don't get to see much of her. Have a great weekend.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

can grate on the wins Ozand have a great time with your family and have fun at the horseshoe tournament
Dave719

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

Don't think I will be at the Mo. Fall Roundup with all of the kids activities and school starting up soon. If possible I will be there but not for a full day. This gas thing does'nt seem to be letting up either. I would like to come of course but will have to see how many activities are going on with the kids. I would like to come to visit with fellow gardeners again and enjoyed the Missouri Summer Roundup. Just playing it by ear (wether I can come or not)..............

cuckoo

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Cuckoo, I understand about the fuel prices. Even at $2.36 for the E85 we use in our van I try to limit trips that are not neccessary. And we have raised enough children(5 of our own and at least partly raised 5 more)that we understand about acitvites. Families have to come first. Maybe they could come with you for a while? We would love to meet them.

If you do come, could you please bring me 3 - 5 small starts of each of the 2 thornless blackberry plants? I only have 5 plants left alive of all I brought home. I don't know what happened, I guess the heat was just too much for some of them. One of these looks dead but when I got it out of the ground to throw away I noticed some very tiny signs of life so I put it back, watered and mulched it well. I won't know for some time if it really is alive.

Hope to see lots of local members/subscribers there this time. There are about 6 or 8 just in Sedalia, 5 or 6 in Marshall, etc.

GOD bless all of you.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I got the subscribers contacted today. Some of you who have already said you can't be there won't get notices. Thank GOD for copy and paste!!

I hope some of the DGers who have read this thread and not replied are seriously thinking about attending. We could handle a good turnout.

If you are going to attend, be sure to remember that it will be a pot luck lunch and maybe supper. If we do something before noon it will be just cookies, donuts, coffee, cold drinks, etc. Also be sure to remember to bring door prizes so there will be plenty to go around. Some will go to the $ stores for items, others will get more expensive items on sale to bring. The price isn't the issue, having door prizes for everyone it. Holly's mother is going to paint another stepping stone for the grand door prize. After all the other ones have been given out, all names will go back into the pot/hat/bag and one name will be drawn. That person will get a handpainted signed stepping stone. Cuckcoo got the one for the summer RU. Maybe he will post a picture so you all can see what lovely work she does.

Hope to see a lot of you there.

Leaflady, two pumpkins are playing soccer games....wish I could come and bring my recorder to pick everyone's brain aboutMidwest gardening...I'll keep up with the fun through this thread. Hope it's a beautiful day and everyone enjoys themselves. Thanks for the invite! ;0)

Maysville, MO(Zone 5a)

Leaflady.......sure would like to come to the RU, but will be picking up our Navy Seal grandson home on leave at the Kansas City airport, and running him home to Wilber, Ne. for a week of visiting. Sure would be a good time to be at the swap as I have MANY named daylilies potted and ready to trade. Guess I'll just have to wait for the spring RU. Thanks for the heads up, and keep on keeping us informed...Jay

Norwood, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the Dmail.... I will do my best to make this one... I sure missed coming this year. I have pics of last years good time... It was great...

I could even bring you your chair, leaflady.... ;)

Springfield, MO

This sounds interesting. What do you do?
I live in Springfield. How do I get there from here?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

bybar, we just have a pot luck dinner, door prizes, plant swap & giveaways, do lots of talking, etc.

You probably could come straight up Rt. 65 north to Sedalia. That is how we go to our son's and he lives in Springfield. After you get to Sedalia, go to the junction of 65 & 50, go straight tho the lights to the next light, turn right(east)and continue on that stree until it curves a bit. Right there is the entrance to the park on the left. You will immediately see a large brick building. We will be directly across from it. I hope to have signs up.

I certainly hope you can make it. We would love to meet you in person.

I sure would have been there if it was not for the Hillbilly Fair tournament in Laurie on that date,Plus my daughter coming in. I got the state championship this weekend in Jefferson City this weekend as well

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Congraulations on the win, Ozarkian. Hopefully you will win the tournament on the 16th.

If we could just get the local members to all show up we would have more than we did a the last one. Alas, I have yet to hear from very many of them.

I plan to bring a thinly sliced ham, some bread and Miracle Whip, and a diabetic dessert of some type. Pepper 23 is hopefully bringing that Pudding Cake she keeps telling me about. No one else has said what they plan to bring.

I want to go to the local used book store next week and see if they have any yardening books in good condition to use for door prizes. If not, the $ stores should have plenty of items. Of course I have the peacock feathers.

I'm looking forward to that day. Pepper, I forgot to tell you I will try to be there by around 8:30 or so in the morning. It may be closer to 9 but I will try for the earlier time. If I pack the van on Friday & have all the food ready to walk out the door Sat. morning it will save time.

Ozarkian, can I ask what is a Hillbilly Fair tournament?

Garden6----- The Hillbilly Fair is a shindig sponsored by the town of Laurie Mo on the west side of Lake of the Ozarks. It runs for three days. This year the 15th thru 17th of September. It is really a big thing for a town so small. they have a large park with a large entertainment area including an outdoor theatre type stage, Part of that is a horseshoe tournament sponsored by lake of the Ozarks Horseshoe Club.

Leaflady---- I am not going to win anything up there at the state Horseshoe championship I got a bunch of tuff competitors to deal with.

Ozarkian, sounds like lots of fun ...and hope you fare better in the horseshoe tournament than you think. Have fun and hope the weather is fair.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oz, practice, practice, practice. That is how the champs became champs. You can do it too. Of course you are already a champion in our eyes.

Oz, you will do just fine if you don't think about it. If you think about it you will start fretting and do a horrible job. JUST RELAX!! lol

I will be at the RU most likely around 9am. Will try to be a little earlier but since I'm bringing my grandma and I have no idea how many plants she's bringing to swap there's no telling. I think she wants to bring mimosa trees but not sure. Will have to ask this weekend. And yes, I'm bringing my famous pudding cake. The guys at work loved it and one actually took it home to finish it. It's that good. lol

I started playing horseshoes at the age of 65. This is my second season. A 20% ringer rate that fast at my age is suppose to be way above average. I have been in about 6 tournaments and have never been lower than third. The reason I think I might have a problem is I am not as consistant as I should be. But when I get into tournaments I do not keep track of the score are even how many matches I have won. I just concentrate on that peg. I do not worry about it. I enjoy the challenge of throwing the shoes accurate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.