first row on right, top to bottom
6 sweet basil, one combo of parsley and mint

second row
red savina, fish pepper and cherry pepper

third row
two sugar snap peas and 6 sun gold tomatoes

fourth row
2 watermellow tomatoes, two ingegnoli gigante and one dutchman tomato

the two eb's container contain one each of cloud nine eggplants and the n.j. giants

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here is a better picture

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Look Good. No weeds! Mine is full blown with weeds right now. Gotta to pull weeds every evenings!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

mini - the best part is coming home and just stepping out to the deck and water everything at once.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, HERBIE43 ..

You're cheating!!
(am jes luvinly teasin' you a bit)

Looks to be a mitey dandy set-up you've got!

Will continue to look for and 'see' pics of the coming harvests ..

- Magpye

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Looks great, Herbie. Tidy, too!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Looking good Herbie...got a question--what are the support structures you have for the row of gallon pots on the far right? Those sure would come in handy down here for the daily, morning deluge we seem to be getting. I always have a lot of plants in pots waiting for 'just the right home' 'waiting for me to overcome my inertia' and plant them.
Debbie

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

What a great idea Herbie, I especially love the low maintenance watering. It looks really pretty too. Are the "NJ Giants" aspargus?? Next year I want to try corn and potatoes in whiskey barrells. This year I did lettuce, sugar snaps and herbs. Keep up the great work.

Megan

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

magpye - when you reach my age you are allowed to cheat. LOL

dmj1218 - if you are talking about the black containers holding my basil they are simply small metal holders for half size chafing dishes. i bought them at the dollar store.
if you mean the square black ones they are simply shelves from a three shelf plastic stand i bought from walmart at nine dollars.

megan - the n.j. giants are tomato plants. i bought the seeds from www.njtomato.com

the seeds are from winning tomatoes in their giant tomato contest. log onto the web site and click onto the appropriate site.

No I meant the metal ones--very clever way to keep the wind from blowing them over!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Very nice, frank. I will look forward to sharing your progress. As I mentioned in my earlier e-mail, I tried to take a photo of my container garden for you, but Stephen King has obviously taken over my camera!!!

Thumbnail by Sequee

cool pic though Sequee

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sequee - i am humming the tune from twilight zone. LOL
1218 - actually i bought them to keep the containers off the deck as i found that after i had installed that fake wood decking that anything left sitting on it for a long time would leave a mark on the wood which would eventually go away but i thought i would see what happens if the containers are lifted off the floor a bit. don't know if it will work.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

I love it! Everything looks great! Growing stuff in containers is great, except they need more frequent watering. Last year I had a fenced in area of lawn that used to be a dog kennel (from previous homeowner). It was all brick on the bottom. I not only had my regular garden, but had my mater and pepper plants in the kennel in containers. I had to water EVERY day sometimes twice. I then learned (dumb me) that the bricks were soaking up heat and transferring the heat to the pots. Well, that kennel is gone now because we had a concrete pad poured for a garage we are putting in. But I still love to grown things in containers! I am trying out the those topsy turvys for an eggplant and two of my mater plants. I just bought three more and will grow my alibis in there (once they are big enough) and my turnip and mustard greens that I'm growing.

Sorry to digress. Everything looks great, big brother!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Looks great Frank - keep us updated! I always think of you when I plant eggplant - just stuck in my brain from last year!!

-Kim

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kim - last year i grew the neon eggplants. sure had alot of them but the neon color did not last unless i picked the fruit when they were very small.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Look Good Herbie:

The eggplant looks very healthy

BB

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Beautiful garden, Herbie! Being somewhat obsessive/compulsive myself, I'm especially impressed with those straight rows! May I ask two things:
1. How does your combo parsley/mint do? My parsley tends to yellow with too much water and, from what I've heard, mint requires a lot of water. I've never tried growing mint but might add some in with my planter box parsley next year.
2. Do you have any favorite recipes for your eggplant?
Debra

Kearny, NJ(Zone 7a)

It looks just beautiful Herbie! I wouldn't dare show that pic to my wife as I wouldn't hear the end of "why can't you keep yours clean and neat like that." Mine somehow always turns into a jungle by mid summer. Here's a pic of my back patio. I can already see that the grape tomato and summer squash EB's are far too close to each other and the eggplant EB and my Patio Pickles cucumbers are probably too close to both. Why does the spacing always look right when first planted and rapidly goes downhill as the plants grow?

Rich

Thumbnail by ritchh
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Man, you guys are so neat and orderly. No way am I going to submit my photos. We cut down a huge shruby thig in my bak yard and I just put plastic over the area, and fill dirt to hold down the paper (bad idea because now it's way slippery after a heavy rain) and plopped the containers on top of that. Then we went around and added steel fence posts (of varying sizes). Looks a mess - I call it "crude, but functional"!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Looks great Herbie.
I almost rather container garden over ground gardening. I have to fix my ground.

Cricket

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks everyone.
debra - this is my first type growing mint and first time i have ever tried a combo. after what you said about the seperate watering needs, it might be my last. LOL.
rich- yours look great also
sequee - with all you plant, how can it be neat.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, if you are ever driving around my area, stop by! I'm sure you'll leave shaking your head at the mess. I always start out with such great intentions, but little decisions have to be made along the way - like, to weed or go to work? To weed in the dusk/dark will all the bugs? Ugh. And this year I DO have weeds - like nothing I've ever seen before. Add to that the fact that I'm growing a bunch of stuff I've never grown before and can't id, it's a mess. I go out and closely examine to try to determine if it's seedling or weedling - no can do, so I just leave it until it can be id'd. Next year it will look MUCH better (tee,hee! I think I may have said that last year!).

How about this weather? Wasn't it nice to briefly see the sun yesterday? We've had so much rain even the EB's are staying full...

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

sequee - don't know if you are soooo busy you didn'trealize i was down here in florida.
i know next year will be better for you olnce you get everything set up

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I didn't know you were in FL either! Where in FL?

-Kim

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

3 inches yesterday alone, with high winds. I was out there last night tying up tomato plants and draining containers - my Black Pearl Pepper appears to be a goner. Dang! At least we had a little sun this mornig, so maybe the platns have a little smile... More rain due any moment...

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

kim - down here in holiday florida

sequee - my son didn't call me so i hope all is well

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

He's probably out swimming in your back yard...

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday Frank!! Enjoy your special day.

-Kim

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

thanks kim

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Sequee, here's your picture de-Stephen-King-ized.

Thumbnail by KatePetersen
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, hello Katie, m'lady! What did you do??? An exorcism?

Thank you!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL! No, somehow you just had "negative image" turned on in your camera. I downloaded your picture, imported it into PaintShopPro and made a "negative negative" of it. Et voila, the picture she is fixed!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Well, she was misbehavin', so I had to smack 'er around a bit - guess that's when she turned negaive on me!

I will have to check out the camera and determine where this feature is so I can avoid it in the future!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

at least we can now see how nice your container garden looks like.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

It's grown alot since then. I've added an EB and 4 containers. Now that Stephen's gone, I will try to take some more photos tonight! I'm really pleased with the way the NJ Champ is looking - a small tree!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

you can say that again. i got home late last night and didn't go out to take a good look at the plants. when i checked them this morning i was shocked to see how much they had grown in the few days i ws gone. the new jersey plqants are huge and i'll bet i have at least 7 flowers growing on each one. will be taking pictures tomorrow nad will post them.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok...Container Garden (7 EB's w/10 tomaotes, 5 peppers, 3 eps; 3 pots w/ep's, 2 pots w/tomatoes and 5 tub w/EBs)

I also have a RB w/17 tomatoes, 2 peppers, 3 okra, and 2 amaranth; and 4 other pots/planters with tomatoes, and lots of other pots w/misc. veggies

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Basinga

This message was edited Jun 12, 2006 7:47 PM

Thumbnail by Sequee
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Isis Candy (f); Peacevine (b)

Thumbnail by Sequee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.