can one convert a garage into a greenhouse?

Brooklyn, NY

i have a garage and am wondering whether replacing the roof and one of the walls with a glass roof and a glass wall would turn the structure into a working greenhouse.

would that work- anyone have any idea how much something like that would cost?

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

The immediate problem I see is that most garages would not have been built with treated wood. A greenhouse is, by necessity, a very wet place. Untreated pine is going to rot fairly quickly. You might be able to slow it down with paint or water seal, but I'd do it with the knowledge that all you'll be doing is slowing it down. This will also affect whatever sheathing is on the walls that you don't replace - sheetrock will basically disolve with constant moisture, if you have finished walls and plywood tends to delaminate. OSB will sometimes swell, but the modern stuff holds up reasonably well to water (it's got enough plastic it in, it should).

Otherwise, as long as you have enough sun exposure through your glass, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just make sure you clean all the car 'droppings' from the concrete so vapors don't hurt your plants - or just don't put anything too sensitive in there for a few years.

Just thought of another potential problem - drainage. When you water the plants, where is the excess going to go? Gotta make a plan for that...

Fulton, MO

It could work. But I would encourage you to do some research and give us some more details. What you will use the greenhouse for? If you will use the greenhouse in the winter, then the R value of the glazing material and heating the space become important issues...you would want to consider twin wall polycarb instead of glass.

What is the orientation of the garage? If it is north-facing, you may have some limitations.

There are important considerations in regard to cooling and ventilation.

This link has a lot of potentially useful information for you: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580529/

The cost and success of such a conversion depends upon factors such as these... can you give us some more information? SB

Brooklyn, NY

stressbaby!- u know what i wanna use it for- one word- litchees baby!

i am not sure what its orientation is- i will need to find out and will post

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.