racoons

South Haven, IN

Do you think an electric fence would deter a coon and possum?

Richmond, TX

Yes, if you can string it in its path.

Bridgewater, ME

Try getting nite eyes or nite guard,I have these and have never had anything get in my runs or coops.They are solar blinking lights,I have them all around my runs,check them out on google

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Where do you put the lights? Ground level, up high?

Bridgewater, ME

It depends on what you are trying to keep away,I have mine about 5 inches from the ground to keep away raccoons and skunks.I`m thinking it keeps the fox away to as we have many of them and have not seen anything try to dig under the run

I read up on it some last night, I think I'm going to buy the 4 pack and place them at varying heights. I have to keep out mostly coons and skunks and possums, but we've had a fox get chickens before too... the worst predator we've had has been dogs that neighbors have let run loose. Two different times over the years we lost over 25 at once.... and of course no one will fess up to the dog being theirs. Then we have to buy new chicks and get them to the place where the ones we lost were at... that's a lot of time and money invested to get 20 chicks to laying stage. :( I figured it up once, it takes about 55.00 per bird to get them to the laying stage....x's 25 or 27 or 30, that's a lot of money to lose. Folks don't think about that part... the chicks are relatively inexpensive... but they don't come ready to lay!

If the lights work for deer like they do predators, I may buy another set for my garden.... it would be worth it!

Richmond, TX

I doubt that they will work for dogs, which are also a major threat here.

Bridgewater, ME

No on the dogs, I have a dog and they don`t bother her,she walks right up to them

The dogs always attacked during the day anyway... so I was just hoping to keep away the other predators. I ended up buying 3 of this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E51X8Q8/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and one of the Night Guard. The reviews I read gave a slight edge to the one with 2 red lights, and it does look like an animal standing in there. We put one in the barn before the door to the coop, and the other 3 outside. The one inside comes out during the day to charge.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I have the Night Eyes around my goat pens. I think they do help although I do think they shouldn't be the only safeguard you have. A good fencing system really comes first. Remember to keep moving the Night Eyes around.

Once good trick I learned is to run a line of electric fencing about two inches off the ground around the exterior of your fence. Rub some peanut butter onto the electric wire (unplug the charger first!☺) every few feet and then turn on the electric charger. It is a mean trick but I have convinced several of the neighbors' free range dogs that my fences are not the ones they want to come digging around. I also know one coyote who will cross my pasture every day but will not go near my goat fencing. The neighbor across the roads keeps asking me how I trained that coyote to stay away from my goats. I still haven't told him his dogs are now also trained to stay away from my goat fence. And, yes I know that is a cruel trick. But I just don't want to shoot anyone's dog and I don't want to loose any baby goats or chickens.

By the way, I learned this trick from a nurseryman up in the Chicago area who was loosing massive amounts of plants to deer. Hotwire alone was not stopping the deer, but when he rubbed the peanut butter on the hotwire it worked like a charm. And it seems they tell their deer friends about their horrible experience, so they stay away too.

Richmond, TX

Yes, animals have to be trained to hot wire. Our dogs, pigs, and horses will not touch any skinny little wire they see. The cows, on the other hand, seem to know whether it is working or not.

The cows ALWAYS know whether it's working or not! LOL

Bridgewater, ME

Melissa,how much are the ones you got?I went on but they are sold out and could not find a price.Put them on my wish list on amazon so it they come back they should let me know.Let us know if they work for you

They were 21.89 each. A little more than the others, but I figured with the 2 eyes, it was worth it. :) Hopefully they'll have them in stock again soon, I want to get a set for the garden too.

Bridgewater, ME

Nite Eyes has 2 blinking red lights

They're back in stock. :)

Bridgewater, ME

thanks

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

My horses can smell the electricity in the fence.

Richmond, TX

Mine can't but I think the cows can, they know the second it isn't working.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Cows are bad about walking through hot wire but a hog gives it a wide berth. You can also keep bears away with it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.