anyone know a rain dance??

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i live in sc but on the augusta ga border. my lawn is starting to look awful.

it rains but it so fast and down pour it doesbnt give anything time to soak it up before it runs off. i want a slow steady rain for a few hours.

the trees are even panting to relieve them selves here. hehe its down right hot.

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Where are the native americans when we desperately need them. Oh, I forgot there aren't anymore in georgia.

I think my plants are done, the drought dun sucked the life out of em all.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Drag out the hoses and quit whining.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm dancing! I don't know if it'll do, but no hose is going to cut it for the pasture.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

The last thunder storm we had was very fast,but had large rain drops,lasted maybe 10min.I had put off mowing because of "rain threat",chin music from inside drove me outside,and would you believe,I stirred up dust.No kidding the ground was dry!!!Mike

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

pull out the hoses?? on 2 acres or so of land?? not feesable.

and i have to pay for water too?? shoot my plants are lucky they get a drink the main ones i want to keep.

most of my yard is dust when i tried to mow.

That's the breaks. Some years are dry, some wet. Sorry to hear you have two acres. Just be glad you aren't farming for a living. Don't we all have to pay for water? At least water is cheaper than gas. (So far.)

I just hope a total watering ban isn't put in place like '86.

I've got an acre and my house is brand new. My backyard was seeded a month ago and the dry weather isn't helping it to grow. My grass is crunchy. When I try to water it for hours in spot after spot, it dries up quickly. This is making me impatient.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm trying to find some positive in the no rain situation while I am fervently praying for it to rain. Our grass is turning brown here, also. Since I don't like having a big lawn anyway, I don't mind that it is affected. With gas prices what they are, it is too $$$ to cut the grass each week anyway. I wish it would all die as I want an old-fashioned sandy yard like the old-timers used to have.

But I do know what no rain means for the trees, crops, lakes, and not to mention my- and others'- water wells.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's one area of my yard. Granted it is a high traffic area b/c of my dog but still it is bad for this early in the season.....

Thumbnail by berrygirl

Weather patterns run in cycles. In '86 (I think that was the year) it was so bad that they had a total watering ban in the metro area. My next door neighbor thought we would never recover from that drought but we did in a year or two (lake levels were back to normal). Lost a lot of the yard that year but you couldn't tell it the next year (nice and green and had to mow a lot). One year ('83?) it rained two solid weeks in JULY. Things were rotting from so much rain and we longed to hear silence again while sleeping (The silence would wake us up from a dead sleep when it did stop raining but then it started back to pouring after a few minutes). Just hope for the best and expect the worst and maybe we will be somewhere between the two.

Lakeland, GA

Its raining here.Im blowing north as hard as my lungs will allow....lemme know if rain gets there!Supposed to rain here for next two days!But SUPPOSED to and what really happens are two different things!Hope you get rain SOON!
Lisa

We've got watering restrictions now in houston county.

Total water restriction?

Cobb County and probably the rest of the metro counties have been on a permanent restriction for years but at least it is more equitable now and hours are not restrictive (24 hours on days you can water). In years past you had to water from late afternoon (7 PM?) to early morning (7 AM?) with even addresses watering on even days and odd addresses on odd days. The odd addresses got the advantage in July and August by having two days in a row while even addresses had to wait two extra days before watering again on these months (not too fair). Now the water schedule is on a weekly basis with Fridays being a non-water day for both sides of the street.

Try drip irrigation (which I've got to get set up before July) and a 7 day timer. This helped me out greatly at my last house - especially for pots and water thirsty plants.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's a plant that doesn't mind the heat/drought- lol! The good old "ditch lily" [h. fulva]

Thumbnail by berrygirl
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey! Who said There werent any of us left in Georgia!!! We're here, we're here!! I dont know if Muskogees or Cherokee still do any form of rain dance but it 's certainly worth the try!!
WE still havent gotten any rain for at least 2 weeks now, My garden is surviving from my watering every afternoon! Thank heaven, Im not on city water and have a deep well! My friends in theEatonton City limits have just been put on a no watering curfew until further notice! I understand a lot of cities are having to do this, sooo sad!!!! Maybe we will get rain soon, I pray!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Rain I need rain. I'm pumping out of a lagoon but 12 inches of rain over the next month would be nice.

The restrictions in my county are for three days a week which I think hasn't happened in several years. Some logging company pine forests are looking kinda sick in some areas. Today we should have some rain but it isn't nearly a little of what we probably need. Mother nature is dehydrated.

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

We have RAIN!!!!!!! Hope all the other dry folks are too!

Lilburn, GA

we got soooo much rain, and thunder and lightning!!!!!

Hi Berry!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

we got like 10 minutes worth and it didnt even wet the ground except on top. under the pine straw it was dry. still thundering though.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok, imzadi, next time.....I'm calling you. It's been raining off and on all DAY! WOO HOO! I'm doin a dance for SC!

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

It's been raining at my house for 3 hours... God is good! sr

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well we are finally getting a shower. yes. thunder and lightning with it but thankfully a shower. my plants are sighing in relief. hehe

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Got a show enough frog strangler here in Lilburn today. What a welcomed site to see !!!!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Can't you just feel the trees relief? Just told DH, "Okay, it can stop now." We've had our share. I'm sure that we're still down several inches for the year, but we got a good soaking. Sheila

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Okay, now I can breathe, We finally were blessed with an all nighter, of rain that is! It wasnt very hard rain ,but just a pleasant 'summer' gentle rain. The ground accepted it because it was so slow in coming down, we had no run off. This morning everything is smiling and standing straight,in the garden! Thank you all for the prayers and dances!
((E))

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

The only thing with the rain came the Japanese Beetles, just look at my peach trees!!Owww! Has any one got a good beetle remedy?

Thumbnail by Eufaula

I'm a little satisfied with the few hours of rain but I'm hoping for more soon. This past friday was just a teaser.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

tropical storm coming. I need a 4-6 inch down pour over a few days. My lagoon is down like 6 inches now, everything is looking bad around here. Even the pine trees aren't looking good. My lawn is on life support now.

Rain rain rain, please thank you LOL

I'm staying in orlando for a week and it looks like they've been getting plenty of rain down here. Now a tropical storm. I hope it hangs around the southeast for a while to revive everything

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ummm yes, is this the rain request thread? I'd like some tropical storm action by Weds of this week please. Thank you!!
:)

There was a year in the early 90's where it rained the entire summer! My husband thought they might go broke being in the pool business, but they survived. It was unbelievable rain every day!! 4th of July celebrations were canceled all over for rain. It was bad :(

Have yall seen this web site? http://www.georgiaweather.net/ it puts it all into numbers for you and is fun (for a gardener!) too look at.

Susan

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hey Y'all, weve had not a drop now,since june 2. The rain we got then was for one night! We have lost 2 Pine trees and we no longer have grass, just weeds . Im worried now that pine beetles and other pest are going to move in and destroy the weak trees and plants!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

my grass is a goner. i am losing plants right and left. i am beginning to think its gonna be a droughty type year agian. i pray not though.

i am wishing for some tropical storm rain too.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, our last rain was on the 2nd as well. We are watering when we have to, on our allotted days, but a lot of stuff is just barely hanging on. Have been saving grey water (that is the right term, isn't it?) to give a few of my new plant children. 30% chance of isolated storms this afternoon, and I'm hoping we get "isolated" on soon.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm with ya!! I'll be honest and say that I've been watering lots, since I refuse to let it all go to waste... but it's not the same as rain water... And the trees and shrubs are taking a hit... Crossing fingers for tropical storm this way!! :)

Susan

The rain gods are listening.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

I must be in trouble then... It started to rain in Smyrna yesterday just after I picked up a load of leaf mold and followed me to just about a mile from my home. I decided to quickly unload the leaf mold before the rain got here and it never happened!!

Looks like Alberto is in a direct path of the Atlantic after crossing Florida.. My newspaper is saying no rain here from it. I hope they are wrong.

Susan

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

gosh we got what my DH calls a gully washer. it rained so fast . all ran off the lawn. hopefully some soaked in though. only lasted about 15 minutes.

Just found this thread. I'm about 8 miles from the FL/GA line. It started raining here late yesterday afternoon and has been raining off and on since. We have had some breezy winds with occasional heavy rain. Thank goodness!! We sure needed that rain!
~Elaine~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.