Deer/squirrel rellent

Redmond, WA

It appears this subject has come up a few times. I was just curious what folks thought of this product

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?tgs=20111341:46889314&cart_id=&item_id=17583

I know hot pepper has been used to dip bulbs in etc. But I'm in search of a single product to fend of multiple fiends. Especially the fat critter that ate over 500 tulip bulbs... (I cannot find the bulbs in the ground anyhow).

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I can't get your link to work. 500 tulips- oh my! Have you considered planting them in hardware-type cloth baskets for protection? A lot of work, but better than no tulips.

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

...don't know about that product (the link didn't work for me), but here's a somewhat 'natural' deer repellent -- weird but works --

Women's hair clippings. Place in nylons and hang (inconspicuously) around your property. The clippings need to be from women who use hair products (smell unnatural to the deer).

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

I've moved to raised beds in a deer fenced area. I may never know how much of my losses were from drowning, moles, voles or squirrels (the deer, at least I could see munching off tulip tops- no comfort- but I knew who to blame). This year, I used none of my arsenal of various repellants and almost everything came up. Do you have mole or vole tunnels and is your drainage good?

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

KYRA,
May I suggest the 30.06, 7mm Mag, 300 Savage, .223 cal, 7.62 Nato, .44 magnum, British 303, or the Smith and Wesson 500 as deer repellant?? Hehehe

Best;
bluelytes

Sammamish, WA(Zone 8a)

My boys have cheerfully offered such a solution and have been declined. We are a little too suburban to always be sure that there is nothing at risk behind our target.

Cottage Grove, OR(Zone 8a)

enlist your local bowhunters, most would be more than happy to put some meat in the freezer come fall. Caleb

Olympia, WA

I was made a believer when a huge circle of blooming tulips "died" overnight! Examination revealed half eaten bulbs underground - from the herbivorous voles using the trails of the carnivorous moles!!! No more "in ground" planting of tulips for this one - all in containers, now. Deer and "skwerils" can be managed - hog wire around top of container keeps deer out - and making the dirt look old, not fresh, keeps "skwerils" from snooping around for whatever might be in any freshly planted zones.

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

KYRA,
Just use Glaser Safety Slugs. Is extremely unlikely to exit the target, hence NO downrange damage, ;) But CGAR, is correct, Bow and arrow would be MUCH BETTER, but then I can shoot a bow to save my soul. lol

Regards;
bluelytes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.