full sun. really!

Asbury Park, NJ

i have a plot that gets sun all day long. as you know, many annuals say 'full sun to part shade'. bah! there are plenty of things that i put out there, that just don't look quite as happy as if they were getting a little 'rest' everyday. so far, my experience is that red salvia, asclepias, marigold, snapdragon and convolvulus do pretty well. does anyone want to weigh in on what REALLY works in full sun, with a lot of humidity? thanks!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Angelonia, Salvia Indigo Spires, Surfinia or Wave Petunias, Sweet Potato Vine (needs extra water though), Nasturtiums, and my favorite pot Geraniums.

It's funny. I used to hate geraniums and petunias, but now I love them because you can neglect them and they still keep on going. Besides, every picture you see of houses in France or Italy has a geranium in it! Gives the plant a more romantic allure....

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Try some coleus. I have many that are in full all-day sun and they do fine. Most of my yard is full sun.....all day! So I do understand your problem. Lantana is another that does well for me and most geraniums. I'll look around tonight and let you know if I come up with more.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Laura Bush Petunias, Pentas, and Zinna. They seem to hold up the best in my full sun garden.
Caren

Cincinnati, OH

Try cosmos, daisys, zinnia, moss rose, dahlias. I have full sun almost everywhere pretty much all the time.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

The three most drought tolerent that love full sun are the lantanas, sun coleus and purslane....they put the petunias, salvias, zinnias and begonias to shame in terms of not needing water-once they are established.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Annual vinca works well for me.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I second the annual vinca!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Moss Rose fan here. Love the doubles especially the bright hot colors. If you're working with a "color scheme" I believe its either Vesey's or Stokes that sell packs of single colors so you can just purchase the color you prefer rather than the mixed colors assortment.

Asbury Park, NJ

thanks so much everyone!

some of you mentioned old favorites i'd forgotten and some new ideas, too. i'm looking forward to trying out some new things. any words of wisdom on heliotrope?

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I loved it and it did very well in full sun. And the fragrance is sooooo good! You'll like it, I'm sure of that.

Lawrence, KS

And don't forget the ever cheerful sunflower!!!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Full sun for you guys means 'high shade' for us.
Debbie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.