Propagating hormone powder root starter.

Central West (Rural), Australia

Is it absolutly necessary and do you know of other alternatives,an old timer told me to use honey.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
Easily root azaleas, lilacs, summersweets (Clethra spp.) and roses by gathering about two cups of pencil-thin willow branches cut to 1-3 inch lengths. Steep twigs in a half-gallon of boiling water overnight. Refrigerated liquid kept in a jar with a tight-fitting lid will remain effective up to two months. (Label jar so you won’t confuse it with your homemade moonshine.) Overnight, soak cuttings you wish to root. Or water soil into which you have planted your cuttings with the willow water. Two applications should be sufficient. Some cuttings root directly in a jar of willow water. Make a fresh batch for each use. You can also use lukewarm water and let twigs soak for 24-48 hours.

Ilene Sternberg is a freelance writer and amateur gardener with a certificate of merit in ornamental plants from Longwood Gardens, Pennsylvania and a former garden guide at Winterthur in Delaware.

Thank you Darius,This is my first time at anything like this,the forum I mean and I really don't know what I am doing.It wasn't what I expected.Propagation is new to me also.

Welcome to DG! I'm not so good at propagation either but have had some success using willow water.

Cincinnati, OH

Different Salices have different amounts of salicylates. The amount of salicylate varies depending on which Salix species and growing conditions and part used. Willow bark is the part to use. Wintergreens (Chimaphila, Gaultheria, and Pyrola) also have salicylates. Acetic acids (aspirin, petro-vinegar) and tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) prevent clotting. Wouldn't is be less effort to use 'Trolamine Salicylate 10%' or crushed* aspirin?

*Aspirin is coated so you cannot taste it, or enteric coated so it will not dissolve in your stomach either.

Non sequitur- I taught my son the Canadian/Canadien alphabet. I said I thought it was the same in Australia. He found this. Click the 'Z'.
http://www.thewiggles.com.au/games/alphabet/index.html

Thanks. Adding this from the same author quoted above:

Quoting:
Another discovery: In the January, 2004 issue of The Avant Gardener, a monthly newsletter to which you can subscribe for $24/year at Horticultural Data Processors, Box 489, New York, N.Y. 10028, editor Thomas Powell notes that gardeners reported all sorts of plants growing remarkably better when given regular doses of tiny amounts of aspirin (1 part to 10,000 parts water; larger doses actually proved toxic),” and that The Agricultural Research Service is investigating the reasons behind aspirin’s beneficial effects.

Plants make salicylic acid to trigger natural defenses against bacteria, fungi, and viruses. Aspirin thus is an activator of ‘Systemic Acquired Resistance’ (SAR). However, plants often don’t produce the acid quickly enough to prevent injury when attacked by a microbe. Spraying aspirin on the plants speeds up the SAR response. Tests have shown this works on many crops, producing better plants using less pesticide. “It also makes it possible to successfully grow many fine heirloom varieties which were discarded because they lacked disease resistance.” Powell says.

Scientists first encountered the SAR phenomenon in the 1930s. After encountering a pathogen, plants use salicylic acid as a key regulator of SAR and expression of defense genes. “Only recently have companies begun marketing salicylic acid and similar compounds as a way to activate SAR in crops—tomato, spinach, lettuce, and tobacco among them,” according to Powell.

“ARS scientists are studying plants’ defenses, such as antimicrobial materials like the protein chitinase which degrades the cell walls of fungi, and nuclease enzymes which break up the ribonucleic acid of viruses. They’re also testing aspirin and other SAR activators which could be effective against non-microbial pests such as aphids and root-knot nematodes,” Powell says. “This may be the most important research of the century. Stimulating SAR defenses with aspirin or other activator compounds could result in increased food production and the elimination of synthetic pesticides.”

He recommends we experiment by spraying some plants with a 1:10,000 solution (3 aspirins dissolved in 4 gallons of water), leaving other plants unsprayed. Tests have shown that the SAR activation lasts for weeks to months. (Sort of homeopathic heart attack prevention for your plants.)

Hello Uuallace,
Do the Canadians say Zed or Zee.
We also say Zebra not Zeebra.
I am pleased you could help Darius,it went straight over my head.
Thanks for answering.Loris.

Cincinnati, OH

To quote The Wiggles "Zed, but if you live in America Zee.

Coober Pedy I understand translates to 'white man in a hole'. (My uncle used to buy and sell black opals.) What does Wagga Wagga mean?

Wagga means Crow and repeating it means crows hence a place of many crows.It is aboriginal from the Wiradjuri tribe.

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Plain old no name aspirin is not coated and you can taste it; try this, take an aspirin and drop it into a bit of water, it disolves almost immediately- I am recalling this from my childhood when I found it to be great fun to drop an aspirin into drops of water in the sink and watching them disolve- what can I say I was easy to amuse. Any aspirin product that says enteric coated or that has a shinny exterior does have some coating; it's not to prevent one from tasting it, but in an effort to prevent burning/ulceration. To prevent one from tasting the product we have flavored products, ie: baby aspirin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.