Sowing Tulips from seed

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Has anyone tried wintersowing Tulips?? I have just harvested some on a dwarf variety that seems to do well and comes back every year. Any thoughts or tips?

(Zone 6a)

I've never tried them before, but I read once that hybrid tulips can take 7 years to flower. I'm pretty sure thats what it said. It would probably be very rewarding though!

Steve

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm in no rush - it would be neat to actually have success - wouldn't it?

(Zone 6a)

Yes, it would be very neat. Now you've given me the idea to try it myself.
Wonder what I would get from hybrid tulip seed?

Steve

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

It should be interesting to see what you get from the tulip seeds - go for it!

I got seeds from my oriental and asiatic lilies last year. I mixed them up, so I don't know which is which, but I had planned to sow them this past winter - just never got around to it.

Think they'll still be good? I'm going to give it a try.....

Did tiger lilies from bulbils back in 2004 - plants are small, but growing nicely and have now put on bulbils of their own.

PV

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I saved some of those too...I didn't get around to it either. Experiment for next winter.

(Zone 6a)

Thats something else I want to try, saving the seed from my lilies. Do you just plan on WSing yours? I've never grown lily seed before...

Steve

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I never have either, but I figure what the hey....I had such success this year with wintersowing - and it was my first year doing it.

(Zone 6a)

Ok, We'll both be WSing lilies then this winter! It will be my first time ever.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

The research says that lilies (some) require a warm period, followed by a cold period; with that treatment, the seeds should germinate in the spring. Sooo, I'm gonna sow my lily seeds this summer (for the warm period) and let them sit out there till next spring. Since they'll be sitting around for 6+ months, I'll make sure to use a nice, deep container.

Tulips do need the cold strat, so they should be perfect for winter sowing.

We should remember to keep each other posted on our progress.

PV

(Zone 6a)

Ok, will do. Just remind me not to dead head my lilies. I have poets daff that has some nice seed pods forming so maybe I'll try them too.

Steve

Beachwood, OH

Keep the conversation going - we'll have to bump this thread a few times I imagine. I have seed heads on my Lady Jane species tulips and was just thinking yesterday that it might be fun to try to grow them from seed.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm still letting mine dry. I have a whole envelope of seeds from my Asiatic lily last year. I might try sowing it this fall since that is when they would naturally mature and fall to the ground. I think I might try sowing some of the tulips seeds now using the same thought process.

(Zone 6a)

Hmm, I don't think any of my tulips set seed, they're all hybrids and the pods are just shrinking away and dieing. I do have poets daff though, that's setting some nice seed, so I will try that.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.