Where are you in Europe?

(Zone 5a)

Yes it is - but a few years ago the rules were changed so that people can choose whether the child bears the mother's or the father's name - used to be only the father's name. So technically my daugthers' last name could be Rannveigsdottir :-) That's equality! It isn't though, it's still pretty rare that the mother's name is used - usually it's just when the father isn't around and the mother doesn't want her kids bearing his name ... People in other countries find it a bit odd as people in the same family have three different last names - or more if there are step-kids in the picture! It even used to be that if people married someone from another country that person had to adopt a "someone's daugther or son" lastname to fit in the system! I think they've stopped that now though

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Ah I thought I'd heard that you could be named for father or mother - didn't realise that it was only recently though. Thanks for the explanation. So I could be Johnsdottir or Helenasdottir instead of Nightingale. In France a lot of official documents are in your maiden name, so my car papers are for Bishop LOL. Think those are all my options.............

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Seriously that wife swapping thing was in a book about Iceland its one of the Lonely Planet guide books.
I was last in iceland in 2003 no one offered me there wife. Shame really heheheh

Back to the plants I love the Graveyards in iceland, plant a giant redwood on me when i turn up my toes.

I was particularly taken with some beautiful sorbus that had berries like Mountain Ash (S aucuparia), but trunks more like a Silver Birch (Betula pendula). Can't remember their name so will have to get my books out.....
Second your sentiment re the redwood Mike ;)

It was fascinating going up the coast of Norway and watching the trees get shorter and shorter until at North Cape foot high willows were the tallest vegetation. It was just like going up a mountain and continuing above the tree line. Iceland isn't as far north as that though, and I remember we went to see those tallest trees you mentioned rannveig - I think that's where I saw the sorbus/betula.

(Zone 5a)

philomel, could it have been S. x hybrida (S. aucuparia x S. intermedia) ? That one has been grown here for many years and there are some very grand speciments to be found. S. intermedia has also been grown here for over a 100 years , the oldest tree in Reykjavik is S. intermedia planted 1884.

I'd really like to hear more about your boat trip around Iceland - did you go all the way around? What parts did you visit?

Mike - yeah the old graveyards are really nice - unfortunately the newer ones are all grass and just a narrow strip of soil for planting bedding plants. I liked the older ones better - things don't always change for the better :-(

You're quite right rannveig, I think the one I'm thinking of is S intermedia
This looks right http://www.openbaargroen.be/files/plantenfoto%5C/b_172.JPG

Yes we went all the way round on a boat that was built and used as the first to take tourists to Antarctica, so had now come up to the other side of the world. It was a bit like a bath tub with no stabilisers, so wallowed rather, but we soon got used to it. I'll look out my notes, but we started in the SE and went round anticlockwise. Saw so much!

(Zone 5a)

Wow! That must have been an adventure - never traveled around Iceland by boat - There are a lot of deserted fjords that are only accessible by boat so you've seen more of the Icelandic shoreline than I have! Managed our first visit to the Westfjords of Iceland this summer and it was fantastic! No 80F weather though! LOL

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You are all making me want to visit Iceland now.

The Sorbus intermedia is a lovely tree, more interesting than the Silver birch. Now where can I put one?

Philomel, how large do the Cornu des Andes grow? Mine started off about 4 inches long on the bottom truss, but have got larger and larger higher up the plant, and the top truss has huge ones. I will take a photo when they ripen and I will weigh them. I've looked at the plant profile and it says they are medium. I'm saving seeds from each one I pick, but they only have about six seeds per fruit.

How have yours done Maggi? I'm very grateful that you sent them to me.

(Zone 5a)

I saw in the paper yesterday that the "forest growing society" have picked the tree of the year here in Iceland and it's an 84 year old Populus canescens growing here in Hafnarfjörður. It's just over 11 m high.

bagnols sur ceze, France

Re Scaveolus. Rather a long time getting back with a picture but had family staying.
I bought the plant at the end of March when it was in flower but didn't water it regularly as I was told it did not need much.. a mistake. However after feeding and daily watering from June onwards it started to flower again in July and now has plenty of flowers but with a rather weedy growthy. It is on top of a wall so does not have much depth of soil and is in full sun from early morning to about 5pm . The flowers are half moon shaped about 2cm across. I am hoping it will thicken up and that it is a perennial.The photo is not very good but does anyone have any info about this plant?

Thumbnail by laroque
Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Hello, Laroque! That plant looks like some kind of portulacacea to me.... Lovely bloom colour!
If it is so, it will love its location. I understand some portulacas are perennials, but not the majority. I'm not sure about this though. Anyway, even if it is an anual plant, it will almost surely replant itself. My own portulacas have wiltered already, not before new litlle plants started to show up beneath the old stems! :-)

I love them!

I think this may be your plant laroque
Scaevola: http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=Scaevola&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
HTH :)

I think you are dead right, Philomel!!

Have guests at the moment rannveig, but will look out the places we visited asap
Sorry, missed your query Pat. My C des Andes are all about 4-6" apart from a few smaller where the plant seems a little sickly. They certainly are delicious!!

I must look up that poplar rannveig!
I haven't grown scaevola, but have admired it in the nurseries laroque and MyH. Very attractive.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi Philomel

Is Termes d'Armagnac in the South of France at all??????????

Its just that i have relatives in Grasse............

Mark

Termes is in south west France Mike, about half way on a line drawn between Toulouse and Biarritz, so as far south as Grasse but much further west.
In fact, according to Viamichelin, it's due west of Grasse by about 750km - just over 7 hour's journey.
Do you often visit?

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Nooooooooooooo not often................... once a year i visit to stay with (Ex )sister in law..........!!
It is such a beautiful area............. so much to visit and see.........!!

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

HI all,
Newbie here! Great to read all your posts! I live in Spain near Granada Just outside a town called Orgiva which is in The Alpujarras! I've lived in Spain for 8 years but moved to our precious farmhouse 2 years ago! When I lived in Englad I lived on a boat and could only grow herbs//flowers on the roof!!!! I have 2500m2 of land which is home for 70 orange trees about 10 olives, lemon, pommegranate, sharon fruit and fig trees and not forgetting my veg plot!!! Looking forward to getting to know you all!

(Zone 5a)

Hi biscombe and welcome to DG! Sounds like you have a wonderful place there in sunny Spain and reading about all your fruit trees makes my mouth water - sounds delicious!

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Welcome biscombe. I'm in Javea (just outside actually)

Is Orgiva anywhere near the author of The Parrot in the Pepper Tree? If it is, it does sound like a lovely region. Hope to swap stuff with you as you are so close!

Lizzy

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

HI Lizzy! Yes It's the pepper tree place!! What's Jaeva like for gardening?? What are you planting now?? I would love to swap, In fact I've just posted my list If you want to take a look.
All the best
Rosie

A very warm welcome Rosie. It's fantastic that you and Lizzy live so close. Wonderful stuff. Enjoy DG :o))

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I'm in Kent, the bit in the SE of England, in a town called Faversham. It's known as a royal town because members of the Royal family have stayed there in days gone by (100's of years ago) and gave it a Royal Charter.

We have the oldest brewery in the UK here, Shepherd Neame, its been here since 1698. Very nice drop of stuff it is too (hic!).
We also have one of the oldest surviving gunpowder mills in the UK too. It's not working now, it stopped in the late 1800's.

Steve (drinking 'Bishops Finger' their best ale.)

Hi Steve, I lived in Sittingbourne for years before coming out to France two and a half years ago. Small world eh?
Faversham really is a lovely town. I've been round the brewery (and done a fair bit of sampling), but, what is more, have crawled around the old Gunpowder works monitoring its use by bats! Yes, the flying mammals.....

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

Thanks for the welcome Phil! I'm really enjoying DG I'm already an addict!!

Faversham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

They have just opened up the mills at Oare. Well worth a visit next time your over.

Hi Biscombe! Welcome! I'm not to far from you either.... right here in Lisbon..

You'll love it here! ;-)

Fernanda

BTW I visited Granada five years ago (I stayed at the Parador in.... God I can't remember the name, it's a small town near Granda... excuse my poor brain...) - Loved it so much!

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

HI Fernanda, Thanks for the welcome. I'm ashamed to say we've never been to Portugal maybe this summer! If you ever fancy swapping seeds let me know!
All the best
Rosie

I will, Rosie!

If you get to stop by, let me know, I'll show you around! :-)

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

An offer I can't refuse! same here!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.